Drive Our Reputation
We need our brand to stand out from the crowd, and our communications gurus make this possible. They are geniuses behind the bold, positive, and unique Kaiser Permanente brand. We need to add more outstanding public affairs experts to our exciting team to unleash their creativity and ensure our company's reputation accurately reflects the outstanding work we do.
Manager, Issues ManagementLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 774587 Date posted: 02/25/2019
The Corporate Communication Manager leads a team of communications professionals and partners with colleagues to develop and execute strategic communication strategies, plans, and programs in support of Northern California strategy and business objectives and region-wide communication goals and objectives. Leads cross-functional teams, providing direct strategic and implementation support to regional leadership, large organizational initiatives, departments and the areas. Serves as the key liaison with area communicators and Program Office communications. Manages communication staff and serves as backup to Director. Gives voice to the KP story internally, develops positive relationships with stakeholders, and protects and enhances the brand image and reputation of Kaiser Permanente.
- Strong solutions-orientation.
- Demonstrates ability to build and manage effective working relationships with internal stakeholder groups and individuals, including senior leaders.
- Manages staff who report directly to the manager and convenes and coordinates with other staff in regional Public Affairs (especially Media Relations), the areas and in other regional departments.
- Supports regional issues management and reputation management.
- Consults with regional and area leadership to develop strategy, messages, programs and vehicles to support regional goals.
- Must have ability to link organizational objectives to communication planning and mentor the staff to do the same.
- Manages ongoing programs and relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively with Managing Editor to support overall department needs as a member of the management team.
- Backs-up the director.
- Tracks key external social, economic and industry issues and internal issues that require communication planning; initiates appropriate plans.
- Scans environment for potential issues and success stories.
- Provides internal communications support surrounding any internal or external crisis situation that requires expedient dissemination of information to leadership and employees, partnering with Public Affairs department colleagues.
- Position requires travel throughout the Northern California region.
- Develop and execute strategies that can manage and mitigate risks associated with issues and reputation management.
- Minimum seven (7) years of internal and external communication experience in a corporate, agency or health care setting.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience managing communication programs in large, multi-divisional organizations including previous experience as an internal/external spokesperson.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage effective working relationships with internal stakeholder groups and individuals, including senior leaders.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and project management skills.
- Demonstrates participatory style, high energy, and a bias for action.
- Proven skills in public speaking, media relations communications, writing and editing
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in proactive and reactive issues management and crisis communication.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Communications Careers
Careers In Communications
Communications combines numerous interrelated departments dedicated to advancing the Kaiser Permanente mission, promoting and protecting the Kaiser Permanente brand, and supporting the success of its strategy, including Corporate Communications, Issues and Brand Management, Public Relations, Media and Stakeholder Relations, Public Affairs, and more — both internally and externally.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Sep 16, 2018
"Great place to spend a work day"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Friendly professional people who share insights and work together for improvements and success. Excellent pay and good employee recognition programs.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.