Drive Our Reputation
We need our brand to stand out from the crowd, and our communications gurus make this possible. They are geniuses behind the bold, positive, and unique Kaiser Permanente brand. We need to add more outstanding public affairs experts to our exciting team to unleash their creativity and ensure our company's reputation accurately reflects the outstanding work we do.
Manager Media RelationsLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 838498 Date posted: 11/04/2019
With the Director and as a member of the regional media relations management team, develops media relations strategy to support and advance organizational goals, priorities and initiatives. Supervises strategy implementation through the direct management of a team of media relations specialists assigned to areas of geographic and programmatic responsibility within Northern California. Gives voice to the KP story, develops positive relationships with stakeholders, and protects and enhances the brand image and reputation of Kaiser Permanente.
- Develops and supervises the implementation of strategic media planning to achieve successful results in support of organizational goals, priorities and initiatives.
- Manages and deploys on a day-to-day basis a team of media relations specialists assigned to geographic and/or programmatic areas of responsibility within Northern California.
- Ensures that the media relations team has a clear understanding of organizational policy, strategy, themes and messages.
- Coordinates the work of the media relations team to achieve maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Designs and initiates innovative approaches to promoting the organization and its people through positive, proactive media coverage and interaction with editors and reporters.
- Guides the media relations team in the identification of opportunities and generation of ideas for positive media coverage.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships with editors and reporters representing a variety of media, including print, broadcast, Internet and trade/specialty outlets.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in internal, community and government relations at the local and regional level to achieve clarity and consistency in the implementation of projects and activities.
- Consults with senior leaders and department managers on the development of media relations strategy.
- Provides advice and counsel to senior leaders, department managers and others, including area public affairs colleagues, in support of their interactions with the news media.
- Acts as senior spokesperson for the organization and, as necessary, engages in tactical media relations activities at the local and regional level.
- Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of a variety of materials in support of media relations activities, such as background and briefing information, communication plans and collateral material, articles for publication and news releases.
- Organizes media relations team to present periodic outcome reports and updates on media coverage to regional and area leaders.
- Participates in crisis/issues management, working closely with public affairs colleagues at the local and regional level and in coordination with the national issues management program.
- May participate in the management of media relations support staff and independent contractors who provide specialty services to the media relations function.
- Position requires travel throughout the Northern California region.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the communications field, including media relations, in a corporate, nonprofit, agency or health care setting.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing strategic communications programs in a large, diverse organization requiring effective consultation with and advising of senior leaders and collaboration with communications colleagues at various levels.
- Strong critical-thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of health care industry and issues.
- Proficient as a spokesperson to the media.
- Strong working knowledge of the news media and its various elements (print, broadcast, Internet-based).
- Established and effective relationships with a variety of editors and reporters.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an emphasis in journalistic writing and editing.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in managing communications in a KP medical center environment, particularly in Northern California.
- Management experience, including project management and broad-scale communication planning in a team based environment.
- Experience in crisis communication and issues management.
- Experience as a working journalist desired.
- Master's degree preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Communications Careers
Careers In Communications
Communications combines numerous interrelated departments dedicated to advancing the Kaiser Permanente mission, promoting and protecting the Kaiser Permanente brand, and supporting the success of its strategy, including Corporate Communications, Issues and Brand Management, Public Relations, Media and Stakeholder Relations, Public Affairs, and more — both internally and externally.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.