Empowering People to Improve Health
At Kaiser Permanente, our organization is all about people — as individuals and as a team. We may be 200,000+ employees and physicians strong, but we act as one when it comes to empowering our members, colleagues, and communities to achieve their goals.
National Labor Relations DirectorLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 766471 Date posted: 03/08/2019
Serves as a key interface between National Labor Relations and its key customers, ensures positive labor relations climate through effective communications, collaboration, persuasion, and problem-solving; demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the national labor relations program and strategy, and the unique needs of the assigned region(s) or customer area(s). Leads and coordinates all Labor Relations activities occurring in National Leadership Team functions, to include national initiatives, in support of collective bargaining as well as day to day labor relations and LMP activities.
- Leads & coordinates all Labor Relations activities occurring in regional/customer area assignments & NLT functions. Aligns w/ the Labor Relations Strategy & activities. Applies effective interpersonal & formal presentation skills, & builds trust w/ key stakeholders to influence optimal organizational outcomes. Develops a thorough understanding of local collective bargaining agreements for the assigned region/customer area, & maintains broad knowledge of the unique needs of the region/customer area.
- Represent National Functions Labor Relations in broader labor relations community of practice; ensure best practices & compliance in Labor Relations derived from community of practice.
- Drive understanding of Labor Relations & LMP activities w/in NLT functions, its leaders & employees, w/ a special emphasis on national initiatives involving coordination of activities, interpretation & application of national agreements, & stakeholder mgmt w/ the regional labor relations & LMP organizations.
- Consults effectively w/ clients providing expert advice regarding the National Agreement & other national labor relations documents through accurate interpretation of intent, spirit & terms of the various agreements; conducts appropriate research & additional consultation w/ others to ensure the correct interpretation is provided as needed.
- Gathers data & information & develops options to engage directly w/ senior Program Offices & National Functions executives on labor relations & LMP strategies, & specific issues & problem resolution. Serves as primary interface in multi-regional bargaining, & national effects bargaining.
- Participates in & may lead selected national bargaining subgroups or committees/task groups w/ the Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions. Serves as lead in providing regional bargaining support as needed.
- Partner w/ various members of the HR community on Labor Relations & LMP aspects of key initiatives, providing seamless & cohesive support to business leaders. Serve as leader & subject matter expert in consideration of outsourcing & insourcing.
- Responsible for convening either the Labor Relations forums or the dispute resolution processes under the National Agreement; & serving as back-up to alternate assignment. Prepares necessary documents & materials in a timely manner.
- Researches, develops & maintains labor relations data & records; leveraging key connections w/ HR Finance, Compensation & Benefits, etc. to generate necessary data for clients. Effectively collaborates w/ clients to obtain data/records as needed. Administers record retention policies & ensures the preservation of essential data, information, documents & files in hard copy or electronic formats in an efficient manner. Identifies & measures against customer expectations.
- Partners w/ Labor Relations team to ensure the delivery of high-quality, timely & responsive services aligned to the goals of the enterprise, & to ensure all labor relations activities & objectives are met.
- Minimum ten (10) years of senior human resources leadership and/or consulting experience.
- Minimum ten (10) years of complex labor relations experience including bargaining.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, labor relations, or related discipline.
License, Certification, Registration
- The incumbent should have proven experience supporting health plan workforces.
- Demonstrated experiences in supporting business segments with a high percentage of organized labor.
- Demonstrated consultative engagement experience with senior leaders is a must.
- Proven experience facilitating small group conflict and negotiation sessions is required.
- The incumbent in this position must have HR Generalist/labor relations technical knowledge with demonstrated success in assessing organizational/business effectiveness, employee/labor relations, communication and change management, performance and experience working to achieve results through labor management partnership.
- Effective written, verbal and executive level presentation skills are required. Must be a good active listener.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (negotiation, listening, and communication skills) characterized by effective interactions with a diverse range of internal and external constituents, stakeholders, and audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge of labor relations and LMP to colleagues in HR and business leaders.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Minimum twelve (12) years of senior human resources leadership and/or consulting experience.
- Minimum twelve (12) years of complex labor relations experience including bargaining.
- Experience leading and facilitating large group meetings is preferred.
- Health care and/or Kaiser Permanente experience strongly preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree with emphasis in labor relations, human resources is preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Human Resources Careers
Human Resources Careers
The work you do building engaged teams, promoting an environment of respect, and developing recruitment and retention strategies helps our employees realize their potential while strengthening the organization as a whole. Whether you specialize in recruiting, benefits and compensation, human resources information systems (HRIS), or training and development, you help identify, recruit, hire, and develop the talent that will define our future.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Sep 16, 2018
"Great place to spend a work day"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Friendly professional people who share insights and work together for improvements and success. Excellent pay and good employee recognition programs.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.