Support the Bottom Line — and the Big Picture
Create the financial strategies that affect our patients, medical centers, and future. On this team, you'll provide the strategy recommendations that drive operational and process improvement, as well as face challenging opportunities to influence the future of health care.
Senior AccountantLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 840952 Date posted: 11/06/2019
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Kaiser Permanente policies and internal control standards. Responsibilities include analyzing account transactions, preparing complex account reconciliations, resolving reconciling items, and preparing accounting statements and reports. Provides training for systems processes and procedures for accounting team members. Facilitates productivity, system and procedural changes to streamline processes and increase productivity. Plans, coordinates and resolves accounting matters with other accounting team members, departments, and business units. Works independently and provides guidance to Accountants and Accounting Technicians. Develops solutions to accounting problems of moderate scope and complexity. Works under the direction of Lead Senior Accountant and Accounting Manager.
- Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, Kaiser Permanente policies and internal control standards.
- Communicates and supports analytical findings.
- Pursues resolution of business issues impacting the financial statements in a proactive, independent manner.
- Prepares journal entries, including appropriate documentation.
- Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
- Prepares schedules, supporting documents, and variance analyses for management.
- Prepares account reconciliations for moderate to complex accounts.
- Reviews account reconciliations with the Lead Senior Accountant and Accounting Manager.
- Participates in month end close activities.
- Proactively participates in month-end balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position.
- Communicates issues and resolutions to management and affected areas/departments.
- Coordinates solutions to problems of moderate complexity with other departments and business units.
- Provides guidance, coaches and reviews work of Accountants and Accounting Technicians.
- Provides training for systems processes and procedures for accounting team members.
- Provides education on the use and interpretation of analyses, reports, methodologies and source data management.
- Monitors work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
- Assists with audit requirements and is responsible for information requests.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
- Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
- Identifies and communicates system problems to management.
- Reviews posting of automated, system-generated entries.
- Utilizes tools such as system queries and download, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
- Facilitates productivity, system and procedural changes to streamline processes and increase productivity.
- Performs special projects of moderate to complex scope.
- Maintains desktop procedures and manuals.
- Participates in departmental projects and initiatives.
- Participates effectively in a team environment.
- Minimum of four (4) years of related experience in financial analysis, preparing financial reports, statements, projections and budgeting.
- Experience researching solutions for simple to moderately complex accounting issues.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in business, finance, or accounting, OR other bachelor's degree with four (4) years of professional experience in finance or accounting.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports.
- Aptitude for numbers, organization skills and strong attention to detail.
- Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources, and determine adequacy for financial reporting requirements for GAAP, Department of Insurance and Department of Managed Health Care.
- Ability to build good relationships within the department, across department lines and with external third parties.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to assist with SOX compliance related to assigned accounting responsibilities.
- Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Health care or managed care experience in high volume processing centers.
- Ability to successfully navigate a matrix organization.
- Database (Access) skills.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Accounting, Finance, & Actuarial Careers
Members of our accounting team support corporate projects and lend insight to areas such as financial reporting, tax planning and preparation, and audit management. This team also includes our audit professionals, who partner with financial and operational groups across the organization to analyze budgets and streamline procedures.
Supporting critical business functions such as financial services, national Medicare finance, strategic planning, auditing, and corporate finance, our finance professionals develop the strategies that enable us to meet our financial goals.
Applying probability and statistics to the practical problems of insurance, our actuarial team performs a variety of duties, including calculating the cost of premiums and policy values, preparing statistical studies, and forecasting financial results.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.