Reading Between the Lines
From acquisition of products and services, real estate transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Senior Counsel , Health Care Business LawLocation: Oakland, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 874656 Date posted: 02/27/2020
As a member of the Legal Department's Health Care Business Law Practice Group, this position provides legal counsel and support to Kaiser Permanente business entities regarding complex healthcare transactions. This is a broad transaction practice supporting Kaiser Permanente-s operations as an integrated delivery system in California and the eight other jurisdictions where Kaiser Permanente operates.
- Advise complex organizations within KP enterprise-wide, across multiple legal business entities
- Advise Hospitals and Health Plan leadership and other health care providers on complex transactions work for Kaiser Permanente, including drafting and negotiating: contracts with institutional providers such as hospital systems as well as large physician organizations, affiliations, mergers/acquisitions and new ventures.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and educational resource, and strategic adviser, to business leaders and colleagues on all aspects of healthcare transactions.
- Minimum eight (8) years of general health care law experience, including a minimum five (5) years of healthcare transaction experience.
- Juris Doctorate degree, required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Applicable bar license or willingness to obtain such license within two years is strongly expected.
- A working knowledge of nonprofit corporate governance, tax exemption, managed care regulations and core health care transactional law (e.g., fraud and abuse and reimbursement regulations).
- Excellent academic and professional qualifications.
- Superior writing and analytical skills based on substantial experience advising complex organizations with interaction between legal entities
- Experience providing interpretation and analysis of statutes, regulations and hospital and physician practice standards, processes and procedures.
- Solid work ethic, excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), and sharp analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Minimum ten (10) years of general health care law experience, including a minimum eight (8) years of complex healthcare transaction experience strongly preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Legal Careers
A national organization with practice groups in areas such as business, litigation, labor and employment, government programs, and liability, Kaiser Permanente's legal team provides advice and representation on a wide range of issues. In addition, counsels provide legal advice to management in each Kaiser Permanente region, and an Office of Board and Corporate Governance Services provides support to the Boards of Directors of Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Health Plan and its subsidiaries.
Comprising eight practice groups - Health Care Business Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Litigation, Labor & Employment, Health Plan & Payor Operations, Government Programs, Provider Operations, and Professional and Public Liability - opportunities in this area include Counsel, Paralegal, Litigation & Data Systems Manager, eHealth Business Operations Specialist, Legislative Representative, Regional Policy Administrator, Research Assistant, and more.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.