Sales & Marketing
Communicating the Future of Care
Continually focused on advancement and improvement, our innovative sales and marketing professionals anticipate and respond to the ever-changing demands of our customers, members, regulators, and the marketplace.
Senior Vice President, California Sales and Account ManagementLocation: Oakland, CA Job Number: 886353 Date posted: 05/20/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
The Senior Vice President, CA Sales and Account
Management is responsible for leading sales and account management activities
for more than 65,000 California group purchasers and over 9 million Kaiser
Permanente members. This position is accountable for a staff of approximately 730
people who represent CA group business and growth in all segments, including:
Small Group, Large Group, Strategic, National, Labor and Trust, Medicare,
Individual, Occupational Health, and Broker/Channels. S/he is also accountable
for achieving/exceeding annual targets for membership, revenue and margin for
the Northern and Southern California KP Regions/Markets. This position will
provide strategic leadership and direction to position Kaiser Permanente for
success in future years, and is an important member of Northern and Southern CA
KP leadership teams.
This position reports to the SVP, Health Plan Operations. The SVP Sales and Account Management works closely and is accountable to the SVP, National Accounts and the SVP, Health Plan Operations for the regions outside California. These three SVPs play a critical role in goal setting and improving performance of our enterprise sales and account management functions
The Senior Vice President, CA Sales and Account Management is responsible for leading sales and account management activities for more than 65,000 California group purchasers and over 9 million Kaiser Permanente members. This position is accountable for a staff of approximately 730 people who represent CA group business and growth in all segments, including: Small Group, Large Group, Strategic, National, Labor and Trust, Medicare, Individual, Occupational Health, and Broker/Channels. S/he is also accountable for achieving/exceeding annual targets for membership, revenue and margin for the Northern and Southern California KP Regions/Markets. This position will provide strategic leadership and direction to position Kaiser Permanente for success in future years, and is an important member of Northern and Southern CA KP leadership teams.
- Develop overall strategy for business lines in collaboration with CA Sales and Account Management business line leaders and Market Planning. Share market intelligence, strategy, and tactics with enterprise sales leadership groups.
- Lead and oversee various Sales and Account Management functions that support CA. This includes sales compensation and rewards, broker and consultant incentives, communications, promotion and functions that assure compliance with KP and regulatory requirements. The execution of these functions must leverage and coordinate with functional leaders or shared services that support many or all market segments and regions.
- Support and/or lead the development of national or multi-regional shared service capabilities that improve KP-s competitive position and leverage organizational capabilities and investments, consistent with the competitive and financial success of the KP regions and the organization as a whole.
- Collaborate with SVP, Underwriting and Customer Analytics and staff to develop and implement appropriate pricing strategies for the market. Engage with Pricing leadership around complicated or difficult pricing decisions for accounts.
- Be an effective and visible leader who is actively involved in sales and account management of CA. Maintain active relationships with major clients and benefit consulting firms throughout California and the country to represent and promote KP.
- Act as a resource to and communicate regularly with Kaiser Permanente Health Plan, Hospitals and Medical Group senior leadership at a regional and national level to enhance awareness and organizational responsiveness to customer and marketplace needs and expectations.
- Lead and sponsor key initiatives, providing direction and oversight of various functions that play a critical role in supporting sales and account management for these segments and throughout KP. These include: IT systems - The SVP will share leadership responsibility for IT planning and development activities related to current and future IT systems and investments that support Sales, Account Management and Marketing. The SVP will collaborate closely with the SVP Health Plan Business Technology Solutions & Services, IT professionals, funding committee members and others in this work; Training and development for our market-facing workforce - The SVP will provide strategy and direction for the content and approach to training for CA sales staff using shared curriculum development and delivery resources (e.g. Health Plan Workforce Development) as well as influence on the overall KP training strategy for the MSSA workforce; Marketing communications and business-to-business promotion - The SVP will provide strategy and direction for the communication and promotion plan for CA that is consistent and aligned with KP-s overall communication and brand standards.
- Provide leadership for the selection, development and motivation of CA Sales and Account Management leadership and staff through: Improving and managing systems and processes that support KP-s ability to attract, train, certify, support, reward, and retain outstanding sales and account management professionals; Participating in on-going talent review processes to ensure the right people are doing the right job, and that our practices and employees represent our commitment to diversity and equal opportunity for all people; Modeling leadership and support for training, performance development, and talent management in collaboration with Health Plan Workforce Development team.
- Provide leadership direction and collaboration as an integral part of the CA Health Plan Leadership Team by: Anticipating key business, marketplace, and competitor dynamics, and developing and implementing strategies that ensure growth and mitigate adverse risk; Establishing clear business line goals and expectations and executing a plan to meet those goals; Organizing and engaging Kaiser Permanente senior leadership to work with key accounts; Orchestrating internal resources for the development of tools, processes, and venues to engage customers and brokers.
- Provide efficient resource stewardship and effective, compliant management of vendors, contracts, and relationships.
- The position is based in California and may require frequent travel to work with staff, customers, business partners, and KP regional leaders.
- Successful leadership experience in a large, complex, highly regulated, geographically distributed organization with multiple operating units.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in building and developing a highly effective team and results-oriented environment.
- Astute ability and desire to continually update that knowledge by remaining connected to market developments and assimilate that information with historical experience.
- Superior ability to develop others and to build a high-commitment and results-oriented environment for staff.
- Proven success developing and implementing vision, values, critical success factors, and goals.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, motivational, negotiation, influencing, communication and conflict management skills, including the ability to influence a range of stakeholders who do not report to the individual.
- Demonstrated expertise in using financial, marketing, sales, and other data to make or influence decisions.
- Demonstrated success in building strong, collaborative relationships and effectively communicating and influencing a variety of senior business leaders, subject matter experts, and other internal/external partners.
- Demonstrated success in a shared-decision culture that is highly regulated, while keeping work at its required pace.
- Master's degree or evidence of ongoing educational development is highly preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Sales & Marketing
Careers In Sales & Marketing
Apply your sales, account management, marketing, and product development skills as a member of our high-performing team. Kaiser Permanente's unique stance as an insurance provider and care delivery organization provides the key differentiation that rests at the core of our offering. This, coupled with an unwavering commitment to health advocacy and total health, drives our marketing and sales strategies — and it's what will set your career apart from the rest.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!