Reading Between the Lines
From acquisition of products and services, real estate transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Vice President , Assistant General Counsel - Health Plan Payor OperationsLocation: Oakland, CA Job Number: 887996 Date posted: 06/25/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Collaborate effectively with the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, other PGMs, and Regional Counsels to provide collective leadership of the Legal Department.
- Ensure horizontal and vertical communication and collaboration within the Department necessary to provide high quality, integrated legal services that protect Kaiser Permanente, meet Kaiser Permanente's business objectives and achieve high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Promote proper organizational governance and management accountability by ensuring that senior leadership is well informed and escalating legal and risk management issues to the appropriate levels in Kaiser Permanente.
- Define Legal Department goals and priorities that are aligned with Kaiser Permanente goals and priorities.
- Establish and maintain effective customer and interdepartmental relationships.
- Ensure the sufficiency, alignment, and efficient allocation of legal resources.
- Collectively manage the Legal Department's performance against metrics that the leadership may develop over time.
- Promote continuous quality improvement, leadership development, professional development, and succession planning.
- Promote a culture of excellence, accountability, learning, and collegiality.
- Handle the Legal Department's administrative, financial, and governance functions, including but not limited to budgets, reserves, approvals, reporting, recruiting, etc.
- Manage the work of the Health Plan & Payor Operations Practice Group, including:
- Cultivate highest and best use of legal professionals in accordance with Department model, which achieves high quality advice and service with lower cost by utilizing high-performing attorneys, and includes developing strategic role of lawyers.
- Promote the development, sharing, and replication of best practices for collaboration.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with customers, including agreements for the most efficient and valuable use of legal resources.
- Enhance motivation of legal professionals through maximization of skills, providing opportunities for recognition and participation in developing Department.
- Manage individual performance including performance appraisals and other human resources issues.
- Develop and deploy subject matter expertise relevant to the Practice Group.
- Promote optimal use of information systems, technology, and communication methods.
- Promote systems and methods to capture, share, and leverage knowledge.
- Balance leadership and management responsibilities with the active legal practice of a highly effective senior lawyer.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney, primarily in health law.
- Bar membership required in the state where the attorney is situated.
- Recognized (externally and/or internally) as an expert in one or more specialties within the health law area. Excellent legal judgment.
- Demonstrated excellent performance as a practicing attorney.
- Experience handling complicated legal issues with serious risks and with successful outcomes.
- Experience in managing team-based projects, with documented (e.g., reviews) leadership success (i.e., providing clarity of direction, aligning organizational processes toward goals, and establishing commitment and partnership).
- Demonstrated qualities consistent with the Department's preferred operating style, i.e., mutual respect, fairness, honesty, ethical behavior, independent, creative thinking while operating as a team member.
- Consistent high ratings from customers, peers, and subordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with customers, colleagues, and subordinates.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates high emotional intelligence and the ability to generate enthusiasm and commitment among colleagues.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Legal Careers
A national organization with practice groups in areas such as business, litigation, labor and employment, government programs, and liability, Kaiser Permanente's legal team provides advice and representation on a wide range of issues. In addition, counsels provide legal advice to management in each Kaiser Permanente region, and an Office of Board and Corporate Governance Services provides support to the Boards of Directors of Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Health Plan and its subsidiaries.
Comprising eight practice groups - Health Care Business Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Litigation, Labor & Employment, Health Plan & Payor Operations, Government Programs, Provider Operations, and Professional and Public Liability - opportunities in this area include Counsel, Paralegal, Litigation & Data Systems Manager, eHealth Business Operations Specialist, Legislative Representative, Regional Policy Administrator, Research Assistant, and more.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!