Vice President, External Affairs, Communications and Brand (EACB)
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
The people-of The Permanente Federation support each other in-creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture. We-strive to be empathetic in our interactions with each other-and-learn-from-our-mistakes. We are committed to strengthening-our impact by-representing-the diverse population of patients and physicians we serve while-upholding a culture of fairness and acceptance.
The Vice President (VP), EACB advances the mission of the Permanente Federation, the Permanente Medical Groups and Kaiser Permanente by increasing the reach, visibility, and impact of Permanente Medicine as an ingredient brand to Kaiser Permanente among key audiences such as policymakers, industry thought leaders, physicians, and employers. The VP is expected to build a cohesive, coordinated strategy for all national proactive and reactive Permanente Medicine communications (internal, crisis, executive, corporate and external), public relations/media relations, federal government relations/public policy activities, brand, and select marketing initiatives. In addition, the VP has executive oversight of the newly relaunched The Permanente Journal.
The VP is responsible for creating and executing an annual comprehensive strategy for the EACB department, including drafting budgets and resource/staffing plans. The position is responsible for developing strategies to measure and monitor the impact of Permanente Medicine communications, policy and marketing initiatives. This role is expected to lead multiple direct reports across the department in a highly matrixed, fast-paced environment, working directly with the national Permanente physician leadership team and the CEOs/Executive Medical Directors of the member Permanente Medical Groups. The VP serves on the Federation Leadership Team and reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer. The VP will closely collaborate with senior leaders on the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospital government relations, communications, brand and marketing teams.
• Create strong partnerships and work closely with Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals executive leaders across the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program to ensure Permanente Medicine supports key business objectives, strategies, and goals of Kaiser Permanente.
• Create and strengthen connections to key audiences, including policymakers, physician leaders and industry thought leaders. Represent the Permanente Medicine position with government officials and other key external stakeholders.
• Serve as strategic advisor to the TPF Chief Operating Officer (COO), TPF Executive Vice President, EACB and CEOs/Executive Medical Directors of the Permanente Medical Groups.
• Enhance collaboration and coordination among key functions of EACB.
• Oversee the development and execution of an annual strategic plan in collaboration with the EACB director of operations. Develop annual budget requests, monitor department budgets.
Communications, Brand and Marketing
• Oversee EACB’s corporate communications portfolio, including executive, crisis, and internal TPF communications.
• Advance Permanente Medicine as best-in-class medicine and support efforts to ensure PM is viewed as medical excellence with Kaiser Permanente channels and audiences, including employers and consumers.
• Execute annual public relations/media relations strategy and communications plan that raises the Permanente Medicine profile and supports department goals.
• Advance and protect the Permanente Medicine brand, including visual and verbal identity, and ensure communications reflect the PM brand tenets with key audiences.
• Oversee content creation for Permanente Medicine’s channels, including digital and social.
• Partner closely with TPF leaders to establish and meet benchmarks for increasing PM share of voice and audience expansion.
• Convene PMG communicators and lead the standardized application of the Permanente Medicine brand in PMG-owned channels, including recruitment and corporate websites.
• Provide executive oversight for The Permanente Journal.
• Lead efforts to integrate EACB’s custom CRM and other technology supports into EACB operations.
Policy and Government Relations
• Oversee development of a proactive and reactive federal government relations and public policy strategy, including policy education for internal and external audiences.
• Lead expansion and deployment of grass roots advocacy tools across the Permanente Medical Groups development of federal policy positioning for Permanente Medicine.
• Represent the Permanente Medicine position and evaluate, advance, and strengthen key medical trade association relationships.
• Oversee federal boards and committee nominations process.
• Manages external contractors for policy expertise and lobbying support.
• Minimum fifteen (15) years of experience in external affairs, policy, development, advocacy, marketing, strategic communications or related field, including at least eight (8) years of staff management experience.
• Master’s degree in health care management, business, public policy, or related field.
License, Certification, Registration
• Travel as required (approximately 5% of time)
• Position will be assigned to One Kaiser Plaza, Oakland, CA.