Surgical Tech II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Participates during surgery as member of the highly reliable surgical team by passing instruments and supplies and assisting as directed; recognizes and responds to and assists in acute emergency situations. Assists in tissue retraction and limb support. Ensures instruments are clean and working properly. Requests additional supplies during surgery if needed. Assists surgeon while he or she is closing, suturing, stapling, cauterizing and bandaging patient. Suctions blood and other fluids from operating field.
- May not clamp, cut, incise, dissect, cauterize, suture, or staple tissue even if competent to do so.
- Conforms to prescribed aseptic techniques required for surgical procedures by scrubbing prior to working in sterile field.
- Required to transport patients and assist with lifting patients for procedures.
- Assembles surgical specialty beds with correct attachments to assure patient safety to avoid injury.
- Completes necessary arrangements to set up operating room prior to surgical procedures - laying out instruments, surgical trays, and assembling equipment as required for particular procedures. Properly place sterile drapes, suction tubing, cautery and all additional items on sterile field.
- Verifies package integrity and external sterile indicators prior to opening and internal sterile indicators prior to use of supplies and Instruments.
- Handles a variety of controlled and non-controlled medications. After RN labels medication, responsible for preparation of medication utilized during surgery. Responsible for labeling of all fluids on the sterile field.
- Coordinates with vendors, surgeons, and other departments. Assists with ordering of specialty items. Assists with equipment and supply recalls.
- Maintains and ensures operational readiness of instruments and equipment, departmental supplies and sterilized items. Checks for outdated supplies. Ensures correct counting of instruments, needles and/or sharps before, during and at closure of patient. Anticipates needs for intraoperative supplies, equipment and needs of surgeons in a timely manner.
- Operates a variety of equipment as directed. Checks for outdated equipment and reports as needed. Ensures and maintains competency on all new equipment and technology.
- Maintains sterility of the surgical field by continuous observation of staff and equipment. Sterilizes needed instruments with rapid cycle sterilization.
- Throughout the procedure, contains used sharps on the sterile field in a designated disposable, puncture-resistant needle container and replace as necessary.
- Prepares and handles patient specimens. Assures proper labeling of patient and all specimens.
- Complies with Standard Precautions (Blood Borne Pathogen standards) and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Provides guidance throughout the case for physician assistants, medical students, registered nurses, orthopedic technicians and surgeons on the use of equipment.
- May perform patient care functions such as patient prepping, positioning patient, and holding patient during surgical case. Assures patient safety at all times.
- Maintains specialty carts for each service. Tests and calibrates any and all equipment as needed. Stocks rooms daily.
- Assists team members with gowning and gloving. Helps in a Circulator role and Anesthesia Tech role; assists Anesthesia with spinals, leads, blood vials, medications. and removal of airway stylet. Assists with difficult airways.
- During a code, assists surgeon, RN and Anesthesia in any way qualified.
- Cleans operating room after surgical procedures by removing and disposing of contaminated instruments; disassembles instruments for sterilization as required. During post procedure clean up, inspects the used surgical setup for sharps. Assures sharps container is not full before discarding disposables.
- Ability to read and understand medical terminology and pathology.
- Assists with orientation, education and inservices as requested by management and co-workers.
- Required to participate in call and standby.
- Performs other duties as required within the classification.
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, to customers, contracted providers and vendors.
- Consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanente's Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanente's policies and procedures. Promotes, ensures and improves customer service to internal/external customers by demonstrating skills which are consistent with the organization's philosophy of providing extraordinary customer relations and quality service.
- Addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational Initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities. and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
- Two (2) years of Operating Room scrub or military equivalent experience within the last three (3) years and competency scrubbing for a variety of surgical procedures.
- BLS certification.
- Maintains certification from Association of Surgical Technologists/National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting OR National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- May be filled by Surgical Tech I or Surgical Tech II.
- This is a temporary position for approximately 6 months
- 8 hour backup shift 3:00 PM - 11:30 PM. Position will be a part of the weekend and standby rotation. OMC and OVASC.