Director of Faculty Academic Career Support and Advising- Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of MedicinePasadena, California
At Kaiser Permanente our nurses are leaders, clinicians, researchers, innovators, and scientists who are contributing toward being an industry-leading voice for advancing evidence-based care. Whether supporting the patient directly in our hospitals or clinics, providing care at home, serving our patients through innovative virtual technology, or managing care delivery teams, Kaiser Permanente nurses utilize scientific evidence and our integrated care model to optimize the total health of our members and the communities we serve. We invite nurses who are passionate about nursing excellence, high-quality compassionate care delivery, professionalism, integrity, teamwork and patient and family centeredness to join our teams so that we can continue to sustain and build upon our culture of excellence.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
We’re looking for Registered Nurses who possess the following traits.
- Socially Conscientious
We offer several benefits to our nurses.
Medical, Vision & Dental
Educational Opportunities & Tuition Reimbursement
Supportive Teams & Resources
Career Growth & Development
At Kaiser Permanente, we cultivate an environment of compassion, integrity, trust, and open communication that helps our teams do their best work. We believe that lifelong learning will expand our knowledge so we can better serve our patients. Our practice is rooted in research and evidence-based care. Our nurses reflect the rich diversity of our members and communities and provide culturally responsive and competent care that promotes understanding of our members needs and preferences. At Kaiser Permanente, nurses are highly skilled professionals who exemplify leadership, critical thinking, and collaborative problem solving and deliver the right care, at the right time, in the right setting.
What Our People Are Saying
Relief Charge Nurse
“Working as a nurse at Kaiser Permanente has allowed me the perfect flexible schedule so that I can volunteer as Girl Scout Leader and room parent for both my children. My kids know that I am a hardworking mother who can provide, as well as a mom who can be present and be there for them – and that means everything to me.”
RN, Advice Nurse
“Working for Kaiser Permanente has allowed me to take control of my future and make my goals a possibility. I feel that Kaiser Permanente allows me to keep climbing and moving. Having that ability truly makes me feel empowered.”
Registered Nurse IV
“Kaiser Permanente has taken me on a personal and educational growth journey. I am supported by a culture of excellence that allows me to be dedicated to patients and patients’ families every day at work. What an honor to be part of Kaiser Permanente.”.
Inpatient Lactation Consultant
“As an RN/IBCLC in Maternal Child, I’m meeting families at a pivotal time — I’m there to help launch a new family into the world. Everything I do has the potential to impact a family’s health for generations to come.”
Quality Coordinator RN
“In Hawaii, your community is your family — or ‘ohana.’ I am able to provide extraordinary patient-centered care to my ohana.”
Appointment and Advice RN
“The location is fantastic. Kaiser Permanente is all over the country. You can pick almost any environment you want – from ocean to mountain to city. You’ll still be able to contribute to our mission of providing high quality health care at a local facility.”
“I chose Kaiser Permanente because their staff and providers really show that they care about you. Also, throughout my 12 years of working here I’m always learning something new, and I’ve had many opportunities for growth and development.”
Director of Faculty Academic Career Support and Advising- Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Please visit the Technical Information page for assistance or reach out to the web manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Reporting directly to the Senior Associate Dean for Academic and Community Affairs, this individual will provide support to faculty at all levels of the academic ladder. This position is part of the Schools commitment and initiatives toward the development of its faculty and provides service to faculty, develops relevant materials and communications, and plans and executes events for the KPSOM community of educators.
- Working in partnership with department leadership and other relevant offices, serve as an academic career coach for KPSOM faculty, which may include guiding the preparation of academic CVs, teaching academic writing, identifying ways to secure funding for scholarly activity, and mentoring faculty on reputation building locally, regionally or nationally;
- Draft reports, serve on school committees, collect data, attend planning meetings, and participate in site visits for WSCUC and LCME accreditation;
- Develop content and manage activities to execute the faculty general orientation program (3 to 4 times per year), including: developing program topics, securing presenters, securing CME credit, managing assistant support of the program, handling orientation logistics and planning, creating agendas, and managing the event onsite or remotely (depending on the modality);
- Develop programming relevant to faculty career development as identified in the faculty development needs assessment and by department and school leadership;
- Lead and manage activities related to the development and analysis of the faculty development needs assessment survey instrument, including: identifying and working with partners in key offices offering faculty development programming, writing survey questions, managing survey input from partner offices, administering the survey, conducting analysis of results, sharing and reporting results;
- Create, develop, and manage with the Office of Faculty Affairs team a bespoke faculty database management system
- Supervise activities of the coordinator supporting this position (event attendance tracking, program development, and implementation logistics, orientation logistics, program calendar management, faculty database management system data input);
- Develop and update the CV template;
- Develop and maintain a library of resources, such as academic listserv communities, conferences, and opportunities to advance scholarly activity;
- Identify potential faculty mentors and facilitate mentorship connections within and outside Kaiser Permanente;
- Serve as liaison to KPSOM department chairs on status and progress of faculty;
- Monitor and review the status of KPSOM faculty through annual academic conferences and annual reports;
- Research new initiatives and trends pertaining to academic and career development;
- Disseminate information regarding programming and other faculty opportunities through a variety of tools, including the faculty portal
- Manage faculty award programs;
- Create, update, and maintain the faculty annual activity report form for faculty annual reviews;
- Serve on the faculty educator development working group and other faculty development groups as appropriate
- Minimum (3) years of experience working directly with faculty in a higher education setting, including experience with academic coaching, faculty appointments and promotions, and career development or equivalent
- Masters degree in a related area OR a minimum six (6) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Experience developing and managing faculty events
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as exceptional interpersonal skills
- Experience working within a medical education setting
- Experience as a faculty member
- MD or PhD or relevant experience/training
- Evidence of scholarly activity as a primary contributor
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
Ranked among the nation’s best
Every hospital that’s part of the Kaiser Permanente system earned “high performing” recognition in the latest U.S. News and World Report’s annual rankings. That means all 39 of our hospitals are among the top 20% in the nation.
Awarded for excellence
We’re proud that so many of our hospitals have earned Magnet status. It shows our real commitment to outcomes, safety, quality, efficiency, and, most importantly, to our nurses.
Recognizing nurses during Nurses Month in 2022
We’re thanking each one of our 65,000 Kaiser Permanente nurses for everything they’ve done for us and for the nation. Thank you for choosing to be a nurse and for leading our transformation of care.
Experience nursing excellence
Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.