Empowering People to Improve Health
At Kaiser Permanente, our organization is all about people — as individuals and as a team. We may be 200,000+ employees and physicians strong, but we act as one when it comes to empowering our members, colleagues, and communities to achieve their goals.
Investigation Specialist ILocation: Pasadena, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 766682 Date posted: 01/22/2019
In support to Nat-l Functions HR,investigates workplace complaints of violation of policy or law w/in the Nat-l Business Units received through the KP Nat-l Compliance Hotline or through other internal channels. Nature of investigations will vary in scope & seriousness, such that failure to investigate might subject the organization to serious legal & financial risk. Complaints to be investigated may include, amongst other categories, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, inappropriate Mgmt practices,hostile work environment, workplace violence, & unfair treatment. Assesses, analyzes & draws conclusions from investigative evidence. Develops & presents investigative findings & recommendations for corrective action to HR Business Partner & Mgmt,as appropriate. Identifies opportunities for systemic corrective action, & recommends changes to policies or operational practices &/or implementation of training to reduce recurrence of complaints. Serves as HR Nat-l Functions subject matter expert on investigative practice. Some Nat-l travel may be required.
- Handles routine to moderately complex investigations. Conducts investigations & develops draft responses to internal & some external agency EEO discrimination charges for review by Sr investigations staff & counsel. W/in scope of position, may provide consultative services training to HR consultants & Mrgs. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct of investigations: Investigates routine to moderately complex/serious workplace complaints of violation of policy or law w/in the Nat-l Business Units received through the KP Nat-l Compliance Hotline or through other internal channels. Nature of investigations will vary in scope & seriousness, & may include, amongst other categories, investigation of complaints of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, inappropriate Mgmt practices,hostile work environment,workplace violence,& unfair treatment.
- Formulates plan, processes,& timetables to conduct accurate,complete & thorough investigations w/in specified timeframes & according to specified quality standards.
- Identifies,gathers & preserves relevant hard-copy & electronic docs & other evidence for the investigation.
- Identifies relevant witnesses, & conducts & docs interviews of those witnesses.
- Assessment of evidence:Reviews, interprets,analyzes & evaluates statements,docs & physical evidence collected during the investigation.
- Develops & applies knowledge of employment discrimination laws,whistle-blowing laws,rules of evidence (e.g.,hearsay,legal privilege)& other laws to investigation plan,investigation & report/response.
- Assesses credibility of witnesses & makes determinations regarding violations of law or KP policy.
- Development & presentation of investigative findings:Prepares comprehensive & accurate factual & analytical investigative reports to Mgmt, HR, &/or legal counsel.
- Makes recommendations to Mgmt, HR, &/or legal counsel regarding appropriate corrective action resulting from investigative findings.
- Systemic corrective action:Identifies & monitors trends of investigative activity by business unit & other parameters, to be determined. Identifies policy or operational improvements & recommends programs, strategies & other collaborative activities to HR Leadership prevent recurrence of complaints.
- Subject matter expertise & education:Evaluates & identifies KP training needs on an ongoing basis & partners w/HR Consulting to develop & provide training for Sup-vs, Mrgs & employees on conflict resolution, effective navigation & Mgmt of workplace environment issues, & investigative process.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience, with progressive responsibility in Human Resources, including a minimum (2) two years of direct responsibility for conducting employment-related investigations, and other relevant case management and investigation experience.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in human resources or directly related field, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated experience in developing and conducting training programs.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in conducting complex employment-related investigations and drafting investigative reports.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in the application of conflict resolution techniques in complaint resolution procedures.
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Ability to identify, analyze and differentiate investigatory issues and processes in employee complaints.
- Ability to work independently, influence change, and compile analytical data and trend analysis.
- Ability to travel to various medical centers to conduct in person investigations.
- Ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as needed to conduct corresponding shift employee investigations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (i.e., verbal and written communication).
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience, with progressive responsibility in Human Resources, including a minimum (2) two years of direct responsibility for conducting employment-related investigations, and other relevant case management and investigation experience.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Human Resources Careers
Human Resources Careers
The work you do building engaged teams, promoting an environment of respect, and developing recruitment and retention strategies helps our employees realize their potential while strengthening the organization as a whole. Whether you specialize in recruiting, benefits and compensation, human resources information systems (HRIS), or training and development, you help identify, recruit, hire, and develop the talent that will define our future.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Sep 16, 2018
"Great place to spend a work day"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Friendly professional people who share insights and work together for improvements and success. Excellent pay and good employee recognition programs.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.