User Researcher /User Experience DesignPasadena, CA
The KP Digital experience is a people experience. The products and solutions we create impact Kaiser Permanente’s more than 12 million members and their families, all working toward total health. Our goal is simple — center on the everyday moments that matter for our members, care teams, brokers, and employees, and make them better with innovative digital products. KP Digital team members are agile and with sharp attention to detail, who apply creative, out-of-the-box thinking and active listening skills in collaboration with teammates and stakeholders like physicians, hospital leaders, health plan market leaders, and more. Join us for the opportunity to define what good looks like in digital health and make an impact along the way.
- Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
These are the traits of the most successful members of our digital team.
More About Kaiser Permanente
Leading in a Crisis
Prat Vemana and his team had to respond quickly to execute and mobilize a strategy for the pandemic that would work across the company’s vast integrated health system.
The Webcam Will See You Now
Telemedicine apps, invented for rural patients, have a critical new role during the coronavirus: keeping you and doctors at a safe distance.
We truly believe ideas can come from anyone and anywhere. If you are change-ready and change-driven, join an environment where innovation is both the standard and something we can all contribute to.
User Researcher /User Experience Design
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
The User Researcher team member performs user research in one-on-one sessions, or with groups, as appropriate, either in-person or remotely and/or asynchronously. They use the information gathered during this research to inform online interactions. The ability to collect, analyze, and interpret user research is a critical component of this job family, as is the ability to translate user and stakeholder needs into an effective user interface.
- Engages with large stakeholder groups to identify research needs and evangelize for appropriate user research early and throughout the solutioning process
- Conducts user interviews and research, from exploratory, goals/needs assessment all the way to summative evaluations.
- Using qualitative and connecting quantitative data to inform results to guide and make impactful user-centered experience decisions
- Synthesize cross experience findings and results, which may be done by other team members or secondary research sources, with keen eye to inform and influence decision making, advocating for users and identifying trade-offs as needed
- Acts in a “coaching” role in reviewing, suggesting and supporting other team members -- sometimes outside the research team -- in test planning, methodological design and data synthesis.
- Suggests and pilots internal work process efficiencies that the team can align to.
- Works to build a collaborative, end-to-end engagement process both internally and externally with teams so that user research is a trusted partner early-on and through-out the product development cycle in reflecting consumer and business values.
- Advocates for meaningful use even when it might not be popular.
- Utilizes/Draws from personas to carry out research and heuristic analysis.
- Creates test plans for straight-forward and complex projects independently. Writes, moderates and reports on usability studies using established testing methodologies and configurations.
- Works with stakeholders to create moderators guides for testing.
- Works independently and/or with Stakeholders to create participant recruiting screeners.
- Develops recommendations based on test results. Reports on test results.
- Conducts and coordinates Usability tests using standard and best practice testing methodologies and configurations.
- Coordinates testing logistics including recruiting, incentives, parking validation, locations (room scheduling, may be multiple locations, or outside vendor). Sets up and tears down usability lab and observation room(s) including configuring the software and computer hardware (camera, laptop, networking, cables, etc.). Recruits participants as needed. Manages overall experience of participants- escorting them to and from the testing room and handling incentives.
- Provides support for creating test stimuli - producing cards for card sorts, basic HTML clickpaths, or paper prototypes. Arranges testing materials - ensuring that there are an
appropriate number of collated copies of moderator's guides and participant demographics for the test and observation rooms.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and different stakeholder groups bringing your positive, proactive attitude to every engagement
- Adheres to our compliance practices for user and data protection.
• Minimum four (4) years. Relevant experience in digital product solutioning and user research planning and testing with large team and/or stakeholder engagement.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field.
• Master's degree in related field preferred.
License, Certification, Registration
• Experience designing exploratory and summative studies, analyzing results and forming recommendations based on those results.
• Strong knowledge of user-centered design principles, best practices, and heuristics.
• Basic customer or industry experience required.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Proficient with Web design/coding best practices.
• Working knowledge of policies, practices and systems.
• Frequent use and general knowledge of industry practices, techniques, and standards.
• Full use and general application of standard principles, theories, concepts, and techniques.
• Deep knowledge of online design principles, trends, competition, technical limitation in order to design products and relationships between suites of related products appropriately.
• Basic knowledge of the Web development process.
• Proficient with setting up, installing and configuring computer hardware and software.
- Clear communication in an outcome driven environment, enabling teams to understand your perspective and recommendations
- Ability to work well in a large team environment, no egos!
- Works independently and proactively
• Experience in computer and/or Web programming preferred.
• Web design experience preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field, with an experimental and/or UI design related bend preferred (e.g., social sciences, human-computer interaction).
• Proficiency in prototyping tools and its uses preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Perks & Benefits
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision, & Dental
Education & Tuition
Career Growth & Development
Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Leave
As a new organization, KP Digital will reinvent how we approach digital challenges — from the products we create to the way we work to the talent we hire. As part of this new team, you must be as knowledgeable as you are curious, willing to try new things, even if it means failing fast. We foster a culture of learning but leave your path up to you. In every opportunity we see growth, and in this growth you could see limitless opportunities.
What Our People Say
Data Science & Analytics
“Every day, I leverage technology to power digital transformation in health care and deliver meaningful and impactful experiences for our members. More importantly, I enjoy working with team members and leaders who are vested in your success at KP Digital!”
“I work with a highly collaborative and inclusive team of designers, researchers, product owners, and engineers. We’re committed to a design centric decision-making process and providing the best digital experiences we can.”
Consumer Experience Engineering
“KP Digital employees are assured of career growth through a wide spectrum of ongoing training opportunities that include essential soft skills as well as upcoming new technologies.”
Consumer Experience Engineering
“Working for KP Digital helped me realize my dream of impacting the community by applying a digital first mindset to the solutions we create. I am very fortunate to work with a high performing and passionate team committed to making things happen!”
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.