Driving Care Initiatives
From designing and leading complex programs to analyzing and translating business capabilities into powerful solutions, your expertise helps shape the future of health care.
Masters Intern, Care Improvement ResearchLocation: Pasadena, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 867914 Date posted: 02/19/2020
The Department of Research & Evaluation has an integral role in the success of Kaiser Permanente Southern California by conducting high-quality, innovative translational research that benefits the health of its members and the communities from which they come. Our mission is to initiate and conduct high-quality, public-sector health services, epidemiologic, behavioral, and clinical research that has a demonstrable positive impact on the health and well-being of Kaiser Permanente Southern California members and the general population.
Over the summer, the intern will form part of the Care Improvement Research Team (CIRT), which aims to enhance the health of individuals and populations through systematic study of ways to improve health care delivery through collaborating with clinicians, patients, operational leaders, and other stakeholders to identify gaps and inefficiencies in care delivery and apply rigorous research methods to understand their nature, and to plan, implement and evaluate interventions to address them within the KPSC system. For example, the intern may participate in updating previously published data analyses to include newly available data or using novel methods, for studies evaluating the variation in rates of ED physicians admitting patients to the Inpatient setting. The intern will be responsible for preparation of the analytic dataset(s), and implementing the evaluation plan(s), under the direction of the assigned preceptor. Other project work may be assigned on an ad hoc basis, as needed.
Desired skill sets:
- Interest in health services research
- Takes initiative and has high integrity
- Have completed 1 year of graduate training in biostatistics, statistics, or related field
- Experience using SAS, SQL or R, and analyses of multilevel and longitudinal healthcare data
- Public Health
- Responsible for contributing high level analytical support to a project or department requiring application of knowledge in marketing, information management, finance, management, economics or statistics.
- This position contributes to a full range of project components.
- Assigned to at least one (1) project and expected to produce results and report out as a member of a project team.
- Organizes assigned project tasks, identifies and structures information collection activities and sets time lines for completion of required tasks as directed.
- Develops tools to identify and to document best practices.
- Prepares various Excel, Word or PowerPoint reports and works with Access database software (or similar tool) to develop data extracts and management information reports.
- May be asked to produce graphic information using Excel or PowerPoint or similar software.
- Contributes to development of management information and analysis conducted, provides recommendations and assists with preparation of formal presentations to communicate results to various management levels.
- Identifies alternative solutions to project issues.
- Contributes to development project plans to ensure timely deliverables and successful completion of project and demonstrates an understanding of various business intersections.
- Assists with identification and development of training information.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis.
- At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to revaluate and change job descriptions or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status.
- Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Bachelor's degree required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Enrolled in or recent graduate of a MBA or other Master's level program with an accredited college or university.
License, Certification, Registration
- Solid analytical skills, problem solving, project management and critical thinking.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to utilize at a working level Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Knowledge of SQL or SAS highly desirable.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Consulting Services & Project/program Management (non-it) Careers
Consulting Services & Project/program Management (non-it) Careers
These careers consist of Program and Project Managers, Business Consultants, Business Analysts, and Data Analysts who all work together to effect positive organizational change from the inside out.
Join our talented team and make a difference through performing business analysis, developing business cases, providing client support during system development and implementation, managing projects, or by leading complex programs with multiple work streams.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.