Reading Between the Lines
From acquisition of products and services, real estate transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Senior Counsel , Provider Operations - Pasadena , CALocation: Pasadena, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 874160 Date posted: 02/26/2020
As a member of the Legal Department's Provider Operations Practice Group, this position provides legal counsel and support to Kaiser Hospitals and health care providers regarding day-to-day regulatory and operational matters. This is a broad provider regulatory practice supporting Kaiser Permanente-s operations as an integrated delivery system in California and the eight other jurisdictions where Kaiser Permanente operates. This includes supporting all KP Regions and the Government Programs Practice Group and Revenue Cycle operations on the implications of Medicare and Medicaid fee-for-service reimbursement regulations.
- Advise complex organizations within KP enterprise-wide, across multiple legal business entities
- Advise Hospitals and Health Plan leadership and other health care providers regarding regulatory and operational matters, such as state licensing, Medicare Conditions of Participation, accreditation standards, credentialing and medical staff matters, patient consent, scope of practice, bioethics and privacy
- Advise healthcare providers (including hospital, ASC and/or medical clinic leaders) about compliance with Medicare reimbursement regulations
- Serve as a subject matter expert and educational resource on all aspects of provider regulatory issues, such as mental health, chemical dependency, privacy, EMTALA, HITECH and medical device regulation for business leaders and colleagues.
- Minimum eight (8) years of general health care law experience, including a minimum of five (5) years of provider regulatory experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Juris Doctorate degree.
License, Certification, Registration
- Active membership in the California Bar (or membership within one (1) year from date of hire).
- Experience providing interpretation and analysis of statutes, regulations and hospital and physician practice standards, processes and procedures.
- Successful candidate will have a working knowledge of hospital operations and physician practice matters and regulatory issues.
- Excellent academic and professional qualifications.
- Superior writing and analytical skills based on substantial experience advising complex organizations with interaction between legal entities
- Solid work ethic, excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), and sharp analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Minimum ten (10) years of general health care law experience, including a minimum of eight (8) years of provider regulatory experience strongly preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Legal Careers
A national organization with practice groups in areas such as business, litigation, labor and employment, government programs, and liability, Kaiser Permanente's legal team provides advice and representation on a wide range of issues. In addition, counsels provide legal advice to management in each Kaiser Permanente region, and an Office of Board and Corporate Governance Services provides support to the Boards of Directors of Kaiser Permanente Hospitals and Health Plan and its subsidiaries.
Comprising eight practice groups - Health Care Business Law, Corporate and Commercial Law, Litigation, Labor & Employment, Health Plan & Payor Operations, Government Programs, Provider Operations, and Professional and Public Liability - opportunities in this area include Counsel, Paralegal, Litigation & Data Systems Manager, eHealth Business Operations Specialist, Legislative Representative, Regional Policy Administrator, Research Assistant, and more.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
January 11, 2020
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Interesting and challenging projects, excellent benefits, awesome co-workers, and ability to work from homeFull Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.