Education & Training
Employee Development Starts With You
Our employees depend on our education and training professionals to foster their growth and professional development — helping to ensure we continue providing world-class care.
Sr. Assoc Dean for Research & Scholarship - Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of MedicineLocation: Pasadena, CA Job Number: 888083 Date posted: 06/24/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
By joining the team that is designing and implementing Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine, you will have the opportunity of a lifetime to create a medical school that will educate physicians for the 21st century and beyond and be a catalyst for change in medical education. The School of Medicine team works from an interdependent model of practice and we are looking for someone who thrives in a highly challenging role within a high functioning team-based environment.
The Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine is devoted first and foremost to offering an outstanding, forward-thinking medical education. Its curriculum is built on the three pillars of Biomedical Science, Clinical Science, and Health Systems Science. Students will think broadly about the ways care can be more effective for everyone and learn how to advocate for better health in homes, school, workplaces, neighborhoods, and society at large. The school will incorporate many of the most innovative and effective educational practices available today and will give students the opportunity to learn from the physicians and care teams in Kaiser Permanente-s integrated health care system. This approach will provide future physicians with the knowledge and skills to play key roles in the transformation of healthcare in our nation and help people from all backgrounds and settings thrive.
If you are interested in learning more, please visit medschool.kp.org or email
Vanessa Labasan, MBA (Vanessa.M.Labasan@kp.org)
- Although the Senior Associate Dean is primarily responsible for creating an environment in which research and scholarship can thrive at KPTSOM, the successful candidate is also encouraged to maintain a portfolio of research with KPTSOM faculty, the larger KP research community, prior colleagues, and students as appropriate.
- Responsibilities related to the scholarly project
- Students are required to complete a scholarly project during their education. The scholarly project is designed to give students experience in asking and answering a question systematically, building on what is known already, developing critical thinking skills, understanding the meaning and importance of evidence-based medicine, understanding how study design, data, and methods contribute to the strength of evidence, understanding their role in projects, developing expertise in an area that differentiates them in residency interview, and potentially sparking an ongoing interest in scholarly work. Responsibilities related to this component of the KPTSOM experience include:
- Engage with the larger Kaiser Permanente research community in identifying promising opportunities for student engagement in ongoing research projects and appropriate mentors
- Engage with the larger Kaiser Permanente quality improvement community in identifying promising opportunities for student scholarship in QI projects and appropriate mentors
- Engage with Kaiser Permanente and community partners in identifying promising opportunities for student scholarship in community-engaged projects and appropriate mentors
- Engage with the chairs of the Biomedical, Clinical, and Health Systems Science Departments and the senior scholar for medical education in identifying other promising opportunities for student engagement in scholarly projects
- Set the criteria for evaluating whether students have met each of the major milestones required to successfully complete the scholarly project
- Recruit and oversee the Scholarly Projects Oversight Committee, which will be responsible for formally determining whether milestones toward the successful completion of the scholarly project have been met
- Collaborate on development of curriculum that enables students to be adequately prepared to conduct the scholarly project
- Ensure that adequate support resources are available to enable successful scholarly work including a consulting statistician, project managers, programmers, and research assistants
- Oversee development and management of a data center that houses available national data sets for student and faculty scholarly work as well as other curated Kaiser Permanente data sets
- Responsibilities related to faculty scholarship
- Collaborate with the senior associate dean for academic and community affairs and the department chairs to create an environment that supports faculty scholarship
- Ensure that adequate support resources are available to enable successful scholarly work including a consulting statistician (and other quantitative and qualitative technical expertise as needed), project managers, programmers, and research assistants
- Collaborate with the senior associate dean for academic and community affairs and department chairs on faculty development activities related to research and scholarship
- Collaborate on identifying appropriate mentors for faculty scholarship
- Oversee development and management of a data center that houses nationally available data sets for faculty scholarly work as well as other curated Kaiser Permanente data sets
- Responsibilities related to the Senior Scholar for Medical Education Research
- Be a thought partner for the senior scholar in the development of a research agenda for medical education research
- Support and enable the work of the senior scholar
- Advocate for the resources necessary for the senior scholar to execute the agenda
- Be a conduit for linking interested students and faculty to the senior scholar to participate in the research agenda
- Responsibilities related to sponsored research administration
- Ensure that the sponsored research administration group is functioning effectively and serving the needs of faculty and students
- Collaborate with the Kaiser Foundation Research Institute (KFRI) to ensure that extramurally funded grants and contracts are managed in line with national expectations and that KFRI is providing appropriate levels of service to the school in line with the annually negotiated Service Level Agreement
- Oversee the ongoing development of policies, procedures and practices that faculty and students must adhere to in seeking extramural funding and in doing the work supported through that funding mechanism
- Maintain an effective working relationship with the Kaiser Permanente Colorado (KPCO) Institutional Review Board (IRB), which serves as the IRB of record for the school
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Education & Training Careers
Careers In Education & Training
Our education and training teams dedicate their attention to the ongoing development of our many health and business professionals to improve the overall performance of the organization. Work includes identifying training needs, designing learning strategies, defining instructional courses, and harboring an ongoing commitment to leadership development, organizational effectiveness, and instructional management.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!