Excellence: It Starts Here
As a recognized leader in health care delivery, policy, and technology, we answer the needs of more than 11 million men, women, and children every day through the work we do. This mission begins with the passion, vision, and commitment of our leaders.
Assistant Department Administrator II - RNLocation: Portland, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 793271 Date posted: 04/25/2019
The RN Asst. Dept Admin (ADA) provides clinical leadership & oversight to uphold excellence & clinical competency of staff in the provision of nursing & other clinical services through implementation of the professional practice model & evidence-based standards of care. The RN ADA is accountable for coordinating all back office clinical functions including the implementation of regionally consistent practices, processes, & protocols w/in a clinical Dept to achieve excellence in quality of care, service, access, resource utilization, employee/physician satisfaction & workplace safety. The RN ADA works closely w/ physician partners & the Dept Admin (DA) in fulfilling the job accountabilities. The RN ADA may perform patient care to the extent necessary to maintain clinical expertise & competency to fulfill job responsibilities & to direct the provision of care in the Dept & in accordance w/ licensure & regulatory requirements.
- Clinical Supervision: Collaborates w/ physician partners & admins & brings the professional nursing & clinical perspective to leadership team to improve quality, safety, access, & affordability. Ensures support staff working to full scope &/or certification. Collaborates w/ leadership team to identify opportunities to optimize scope of practice & ensure resource stewardship. Ensures RN's & support staff have the required knowledge & skill to perform assignment. Assists w/ providing on-going clinical skills development including the supervision of onboarding processes. Collaborates w/ Reg-l nursing srvs to implement Reg-l & Nat-l nursing strategies in accordance w/ KP's Nat-l Nursing vision, models, & values. Monitors health outcome metrics, including established Nat-l & Reg-l nurse sensitive metrics & recommends, implements & evaluates improvement strategies. Collaborates w/ leadership team & Reg-l nursing srvs to ensure clinical quality & patent safety assurance processes are conducted, trends identified & remediation strategies implemented. Collaborates w/ physician partners & Reg-l nursing srvs to ensure applicable clinical accreditation requirements met. Anticipates changes in healthcare trends & collaborates w/ Reg-l nursing srvs to effectively implement evidence based changes in nursing practice. Assess urgency of clinical situations for the purposes of determining appropriate prioritization & needed actions to assure patient safety. Provides clinical oversight of applicable nursing Care Mgmt srvs. Collaborates w/ leadership & Reg-l nursing srvs to develop recommendations, implement, & evaluate improved processes & systems w/in multi-disciplinary care teams & across the continuum of care.
- Operations: Supervises & coordinates all staff activities necessary to provide excellent patient focused care. Acts as liaison between the physician partners, care team, support Depts to ensure effective communication for overall patient care srvs, including Reg-l communication cascade to frontline staff. Selects, coaches, develops & performance manages staff & affiliated clinicians in collaboration w/ physician partners & in compliance w/ requirements of EEO/AA goals, union contracts, & personnel policies of the organization. Co-leads unit based teams (UBTs). Ensures the UBTs continuously focus on identifying & implementing ways to meet/exceed quality, safety, & srv targets & implement Reg-l initiatives. Supports the development, implementation, & sustainability of standard workflows for support staff & clinicians. Monitors & controls expenditures, overtime, & staffing levels.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Minimum two (2) years of business management experience -OR- minimum (2) years of proven supervisory experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience providing direct patient care.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon and Washington RN license required. License in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer, application for license in secondary state required within 2 weeks of hire/transfer and must be obtained within 6 months.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/transfer.
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical and operational processes, staff licensure/certification, clinical competency requirements, and scope of practice concepts.
- Ability to analyze, integrate and use quantitative data informed decisions about quality improvement and collaborating with clinical staff, back office staff, and team to achieve expected outcomes.
- Ability to lead in a culturally diverse environment and promote culturally competent care.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Ability to attend to details, prioritize and complete multiple tasks independently in a fast-paced environment and following agreed upon timeline.
- Business management experience.
- Supervisory experience in unionized health care setting.
- Hospital and Ambulatory Care experience.
- Experience working Hospice or Home Health.
- Master's degree in nursing, business or related field.
- Specialty certification highly desirable.
- National certification in related clinical field.
- Ability to apply process improvement and project management principles.
- Ability to performance manage, coach, and develop staff.
- Ability to understand and utilize data to improve performance.
- Ability to lead and implement change management and process improvement activities.
- Ability to establish partnerships with physician group, organized labor representatives and peers in order to create a culture of commitment to patient focused service, excellent support of physician and nursing practices, innovation, compliance, safety, and integrity.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Health Care & Hospital Operations Careers
Envision the future, inspire change, and deliver results. Put your talents to work not just at a powerful business, but at an organization dedicated to empowering the health and well-being of millions. As a valued member of the Kaiser Permanente team, your visionary and strategic contributions are especially vital to our success. Come drive change within the organization and across the future of health care.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Dec 14, 2018
"Respectable reward in a company with a vision"
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than a year)
Kaiser has a vision for healthcare that is in practice as well as in theory all about delivering the best healthcare at the best possible price. It is more than just words, the company really strives to deliver on those goals.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.