Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Client Services Support Specialist (Coded Replacement)Location: Portland, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 836591 Date posted: 11/06/2019
To function as the primary resource to KP Northwest (and external) providers, medical support staff, lab staff, referral labs and patients as they respond to inquiries about physician-s orders, laboratory testing requirements and results. Understand the processes related to all facets of lab testing, specimen collection and be able to provide clear and concise communications consistent with the quality of service expected by customers. Utilize information systems (eg., HealthConnect, Cerner Pathnet) for medical orders and laboratory result management and conduct online research for referral testing requests. Investigate and resolve, or coordinate resolution for, complex issues that may result in delayed testing and/or may have a potential impact on patient care.
- Laboratory Services: Perform entry of test results into the LIS for all external laboratory tests and, if necessary, internal tests. Places lab orders from external providers into the LIS. Maintain and complete all required documentation for reports, requests and results. Communicate and document results, including critical values to clinical staff throughout the northwest region. Track messages sent from providers via EPIC messaging and act on requests or inquiries as necessary. Collaborate with providers (internal and external) to provide support for contracted and non-contracted testing or resulting. Contact patients regarding lab orders and communicate pre-analytical testing requirements; notify patients if recollections are necessary. Correct or amend referral lab test results and notify ordering provider as needed.
- Call Center Services: Answer and manage all telephone calls from providers, lab staff and members requiring assistance with inquiries and testing information. Accurately identify medical and laboratory situations requiring triage to another department for resolution and follow up to assure resolution has occurred. Act as a first line of response for member complaints and escalate to the appropriate management as necessary. Complete documentation following each phone call providing a comprehensive summary of the call and actions taken.
- Administration: Monitor pending test lists for internal and external clients to ensure that turnaround time for testing meets provider needs and expectations. Assists with coordinating ordering and submission of non-formulary (MISC) orders and monitoring laboratory utilization in conjunction with the Lab Utilization Committee (LUAT). Submits billing credits to Finance for any lab errors. Call and coordinate transportation for specimens collected from outside facilities.
- Collections Resource: Function as a subject matter expert regarding specimen collection requirements and constraints. Assess specimen integrity and stability in conjunction with requirements as outlined in written resources. Identify changes to referral lab testing requirements and ensure that internal resources are updated via change management processes. During computer downtime, act as the first line resource for addressing all specimen/collection/processing questions for internal and external clients.
- Performs other duties as requested. (DO NOT EDIT.)
- Minimum two (2) years- experience in the medical laboratory field or ASCP certification plus one (1) year experience.
- High school diploma or GED.
License, Certification, Registration
- Must have a working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must have a working knowledge of basic computer systems and the ability to navigate through a variety of web-based systems. Must be able to type a minimum of 20 words per minute with 90% accuracy.
- Must possess demonstrable customer service skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with patients and staff at all levels.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- The ideal candidate for this position will be able to:
- Work independently with minimal Supervisory and/or peer interaction.
- Provide exemplary customer service to individuals who may be angry, ill, fearful, grieving or otherwise vulnerable.
- Demonstrate excellent judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborate and cooperate with co-workers and managers.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.