Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Medical Assistant - Primary Care, East InterstateLocation: Portland, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 772120 Date posted: 03/12/2019
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care and are to be performed competently, consistently, accurately and according to established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies and procedures and standards.
- They are: Prepares and organizes patient's office visit for known reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports, outside records, etc.) and order entries are ready for clinician review prior to appointment time.
- Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs & symptoms, allergies, current medication, tobacco use, etc.) and objective (e.g. vital signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patient's reason for visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or procedure).
- Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts) to identify and address health maintenance/care gaps with patient and alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention.
- Recognizes signs and symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal versus new/existing and reports to clinician.
- Alerts clinician on signs and symptoms requiring immediate attention and respond to directions per clinician.
- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinician's exam during rooming-in process.
- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure.
- Checks equipment are in safe working order and cleans room after use.
- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by clinician.
- Use KP HealthConnect and other information systems to document all pertinent data and outcomes of patient care according to standardized procedures and policies such as and not limited to the use of SBAR, KP HealthConnect smarttools, etc.
- Updates demographic or historical clinical data gathered in the electronic medical record.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies and procedures within scope of authorized duties competently and with maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department standards on core clinical tasks (see department's list of core skills).
- Application of knowledge and skills appropriate to developmental age of patient.
- Eestablished policies such as and not limited to patient safety, aseptic and sterile techniques and infection control.
- Examples of categories of clinical tasks are as follows:
- Screening tests, e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing, developmental, LOPS, pain, etc.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Graduate of accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers within 30 days of employment.
- Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser Permanente's Medication Administration Competency Certification within ninety (90) days of employment as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills (assessment required for external candidates).
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good judgment for decisions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
- One (1) to two (2) plus years in a medical assistant position to assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM, OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within an ambulatory care setting preferred.
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or documented trainings in assigned department's clinical area within the last one (1) to three (3) years preferred.
- Current National Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.