Ophthalmic Technician ***$2,500 Sign On Bonus ***
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
$2,500 sign-on bonus eligible position!
Assist with the provision of patient care within established policies and procedures to serve the needs of the Kaiser Permanente medical care program. Provides care to a population with predictable ophthalmic needs and assists the providers in caring for more acute needs.
• Screen patients for chief compliant, take accurate history of ophthalmic illnesses/surgeries, past ocular history, family history, & current eye related medications. Perform Ophthalmic testing as appropriate for the patient. This includes, but is not limited to the ability to check/document distance & near vision. Must be able to perform papillary assessment to rule out afferent defect & check pupil size (rule out pupillary asymmetry), corneal curvature (K readings) & color vision testing. Must be able to perform lensometry, including reading lenses with multifocal & progressive adds, power of sphere, axis of cylinder power & orientation of prism. Perform intraocular pressure checks using applanation tonometry & also using the tonopen. Perform confrontation visual fields. Must be able to perform cover/uncover test, alternate cover test & quantify strabismus; must be able to document ocular motility & the presence of strabismus or nystagmus. Must be able to perform Worth 4 dot test & Stereopsis test. Must be able to test near point of convergence, ductions, versions & vergences. Must be able to perform Potential Acuity Meter testing, Glare testing. Must demonstrate ability to check/recognize narrow angle. Instill dilating drops (and other ophthalmic drops) per physician's instructions. Take & record patient vitals when indicated in the EMR.
• Visual fields: Must perform calibration of automated perimeters, & must be able to perform automated perimetry. Maintain a working knowledge of automated perimetry, & be able to perform Amsler Grid testing.
• Must be able to perform OCT & HRT. Must be able to use IOL master & any other A scan programs for biometry readings.
• Assist doctors during examination as needed. Prepare for, set up & assist in minor surgery, & all types of laser procedures. Must be familiar with preoperative & pre-laser patient education. Apply eye dressings, protective shields as directed by the doctor. Always must be willing to assist patients in clinic areas.
• Set up & provide physician assistance with intravitreal injections.
• Per standard guidelines, clean exam lanes & minor surgical instruments. Prepare for the sterilization process either utilizing the clinic sterilizer following sterilizing protocol, or preparing instruments to be sent out for sterilization per standard protocol. Responsible for room maintenance including routing cleaning of exam lanes, & daily validation of expiration dates of dilating & other ophthalmic drops. Keep exam rooms well stocked with appropriate instruments, as well as patient handouts, & any other equipment, etc., as required by physicians.
• Maintain instruments & triage appropriately when instruments are in need of repair or replacement. Open exam lanes in the AM & close exam lanes in the PM. Provide administrative assistance & support as required, assisting administrative team as necessary. Assist in other clinic functions as necessary, including making appointments, preparing retina photography charts, or any other general duty as needed.
• Perform clerical duties to assist in maintaining departmental records & as directed by the assigned provider. Ensure that all relevant sections of the EMR are completed, & always kept up to date & current.
• This job description is not all encompassing.
• Two (2) years of full time employment functioning in an ophthalmic technician capacity under the supervision of an ophthalmologist, and/or successful completion of a JCAHPO accredited ophthalmic medical technology program required.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers within thirty (30) days of hire required.
• WA Medical Assistant Registered within sixty (60) days of hire required.
• Proven record of attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Broad knowledge base of ophthalmic terminology.
• Basic computer knowledge and skills.
• Proficient and accurate keyboarding skills.
• Must be able to communicate both in writing and orally in English.
• Three (3) to five (5) plus years functioning in an ophthalmic technician capacity under the supervision of an ophthalmologist/or in a group ophthalmological practice/environment.
• Broad based ophthalmic technician experience preferred.
• COA, COT, or COMT certification through JCAHPO (Joint Commission on Allied Health Professionals in Ophthalmology) preferred.
• Familiarity with EpicCare or electronic based medical records system preferred.
• Proficiency in microsoft office suites preferred.
• Ability to perform Goldmann visual fields.
• Travel locations: Longview, Salmon Creek, Clackamas, Tanasbourne, and Skyline.