Deliver Expert Advice
Alongside physicians, clinicians, and patients, you'll work as a respected and vital member of our care delivery team. Providing information and recommending treatment programs that support our proactive philosophy, you'll approach health from a holistic perspective that includes alternative therapies and lifestyle changes in addition to the latest medications.
Pharmacy TechnicianLocation: Portland, OR Additional Locations:
Central Interstate Medical Offices 3600 N. Interst, 3600 N. Interstate Ave., Portland,Oregon, 97227
East Interstate Medical Offices 3550 N. Interstate, 3550 N. Interstate Ave., Portland,Oregon, 97227
Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center 10180 SE Sunnyside, 10180 SE Sunnyside Rd., Clackamas,Oregon, 97015
Mt. Scott Medical Offices 9800 SE Sunnyside Rd., 9800 SE Sunnyside Rd., Clackamas,Oregon, 97015
Mt. Talbert Medical Offices 10100 SE Sunnyside Rd., 10100 SE Sunnyside Rd., Clackamas,Oregon, 97015
North Lancaster Medical Offices 2400 NE Lancaster, 2400 NE Lancaster Dr., Salem,Oregon, 97305
Rockwood Medical Offices 19500 SE Stark St., 19500 SE Stark St., Portland,Oregon, 97233
Skyline Medical Offices 5125 S. Skyline Rd., 5125 S. Skyline Rd., Salem,Oregon, 97306
South Interstate Medical Offices 3500 N. Interstat, 3500 N. Interstate Ave., Portland,Oregon, 97227
Sunnybrook Medical Offices 9900 SE Sunnyside Rd., 9900 SE Sunnyside Rd., Clackamas,Oregon, 97015
West Salem Medical Offices 1160 NW Wallace Rd., 1160 NW Wallace Rd., Salem,Oregon, 97304
Westside Hospital 2875 NE Stucki Ave., 2875 NE Stucki Ave., Hillsboro,Oregon, 97124
Tualatin Medical Offices 19185 SW 90th Ave., 19185 SW 90th Ave., Tualatin,Oregon, 97062
Murrayhill Medical Offices 11200 Murray Scholls Pl, 11200 Murray Scholls Pl., Beaverton,Oregon, 97007
Hillsboro Medical Offices Pharmacy 5381 W. Baselin, 5381 W. Baseline Rd., Hillsboro,Oregon, 97123
Gateway Medical Offices 1700 NE 102nd Ave., 1700 NE 102nd Ave., Portland,Oregon, 97205
Westside Specialty Medical Offices 2875 NE Stucki, 2875 NE Stucki Ave., Hillsboro,Oregon, 97124
Keizer Station Medical Offices, 5940 Ulali Dr., Keizer,Oregon, 97303 Job Number: 835130 Date posted: 10/01/2019
The pharmacy technician provides customer-focused services to members in the technical aspects of pharmaceutical care, under the direct supervision of the pharmacist and in collaboration with the healthcare team.
- Overall Individual Responsibilities: Actively supports organizational & departmental policies & procedures w/in the Partnership. Seeks supervision/consultation or refers to another resource when unable to perform safely, effectively or w/in the role. Presents a professional appearance & approach w/ members & other employees; demonstrates honest & ethical behavior. Handles member & employee information w/ appropriate sensitivity & safeguards to ensure confidentiality & right to privacy, in compliance w/ HIPAA regulatory requirements. Demonstrates & incorporates principles of safety & infection control into daily activities as outlined in organization's policies/procedures. Actively supports organizational & department's policies/procedures including established cash handling & asset mgmt. Contributes to the effectiveness of the team by working together by supporting, promoting & applying the established behavioral & interpersonal standards of conduct, as developed through the Labor/Mgmt Partnership, including those on attendance, mutual respect & support, honoring diversity, effective communication, & improving the work environment. Exhibits flexibility when work assignments need to be adjusted to meet service delivery needs & workload of team. Takes responsibility to identify, develop & adapt new policies & practices that improve service & quality of work.
- Overall Job Responsibilities: Cash handling: Ensures that all cash handling practices are in accordance w/ current regional & departmental policies & procedures. Takes precautions to secure funds & to minimize the risk of robbery &/or theft. Places starting cash fund in cash register at the beginning of workday & operates cash register according to established policies & procedures. Completes daily cash-out procedure, including balancing or documenting discrepancies according to departmental policies & procedures. Accurately & completely compiles daily & month-end cash report. Maintains work logs as necessary. Ensures that cash discrepancies do not exceed regional averages (standards). Demonstrates knowledge & ability to operate cash register systems to accurately complete the sales transaction. Gives each patient a cash receipt. Has refunds & voided transactions cosigned in a timely manner. Closes cash drawer after each transaction.
- Phone Handling: Answers telephone, receiving, processing & relaying messages as needed w/ complete discretion in matters of patient confidentiality. Answers phone w/ the location (ex. Kaiser Rockwood Pharmacy), name, & appropriate greeting (ex. good morning, good afternoon, etc.). Demonstrates competence in the operation of the phone system, including transferring, stacking, etc. Requests assistance when required. Triages to the appropriate resource. Gives the caller the opportunity to respond before being placed on hold. Satisfies member request w/in one transfer of a call; stays on the line until the extension is answered to confidentially announce the caller. Follows the current Regional/Departmental Phone Handling Policies.
- Transactions Concerning Members/Medications: Asks for appropriate ID, & records information consistent w/ regional policies & procedures to ensure the accurate sale of all prescriptions to the correct patient. Refers any questions or concerns regarding lack of ID, potential fraud or misuse to supervisor or PIC. Documents & follows through on all information concerning a drug dispensing irregularity in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Recognizes importance of accuracy in dispensing & selling of prescriptions & OTC products. Actively participates in departmental quality assurance activities. Adheres to the Pharmacy Technician function of providing appropriate information to the member. Refers any & all questions concerning prescription &/or OTC drugs or other health care related topics to a pharmacist in accordance w/ regional confidentiality standards & HIPAA requirements. Reprints a call slip for patient's copy upon request.
- Managing Stock, Supplies & Work Area (variable according to the specific worksite/location): Maintains work & waiting areas in a neat & orderly manner at all times; regularly assists in the cleaning of the department; all shelves are washed thoroughly on a routine basis. Regularly unpacks & stores supplies, verifies items received against invoices, & stores perishables such as antibiotics in refrigerators per policies & procedures. Checks invoices against orders to make sure that all items are received & charges are correct. Reports all discrepancies to the appropriate person in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Demonstrates knowledge & ability to order all items required in the pharmacy (source such as wholesaler, PSC, General Stores). Orders drugs & supplies in the right amount to reduce outdated medications & eliminate needless inventory stock & storage & informs others of vendor changes. Organizes outdated, overstock & recalled items to ship back to wholesaler &/or regional warehouse for credit on a regular basis. Organizes unclaimed prescriptions for returning to stock & deleting the fills in the computer system. Maintains adequate stock of OTC items & uses appropriate merchandising to ensure correct rotation of stock, neat shelving appearance, cleanliness & pricing. Monitors & maintains inventory & supplies to assure efficient work flow (i.e. filling vial bins, bags, filing prescriptions, etc.). Updates & maintains drug & medical information reference sources as new information becomes available (i.e., Facts & Comparisons, PPL Updates, etc). Reconciles invoices at end-of-month as assigned by supervisor. Ensures Return authorization form w/ confirmation (BBDC). Processes FOA returns (BBDC). Accurately completes Nursing/module orders, including proper billing. Properly processes invoices & prescription records & archives in accordance w/ Regional policies & applicable State & Federal laws & regulations. Ensures appropriate accountability & storage requirements for vaccines. Assures proper functioning of all drug storage equipment (including refrigerators, freezers, Baker Cells, etc.). Supports physical inventory processes & policies, & adheres to Regional guidelines on Asset Mgmt.
- Prescription Processing&Compounding: Accurately & completely inputs all prescriptions &/or patient data into the tops System according to policies & procedures. Uses correct short codes to reflect correct product, package size & strength, doctor's name & directions. Inputs appropriate comments in comment field & documents medical comments & other appropriate information on the call slip for pharmacist's review. Accurately inputs billing methods, co-pays & fees as appropriate. Properly assesses when manual label is required & types the label according to established label standards. Verifies that the name on the prescription & the name presented on the screen are the same & correct. Accurately pulls appropriate drug & package size, verifying accuracy (including manufacturer) w/ the printed label(s). Correctly calculates quantities needed for corresponding sigs & conversions to & from the metric system. Ensures proper processing of FOA's, off-site prescription orders, & special circumstances. Adheres to departmental policies in the filling, processing, handling & security of prescriptions for scheduled medications. Presents completed prescription to the pharmacist for review & verification in a timely manner. Maintains competency in the accurate running, correction, & interpretation of all routine prescription related system reports. Maintains work logs as necessary. Correctly calculates, & has verified, ingredients involved in extemporaneous compounding & documents appropriately in log book.
- Data Mgmt: Inputs refill information & responds to information given on screen appropriately & in accordance w/ established policies & procedures. Generates & processes refill authorizations according to policies & procedures. Demonstrates ability to make correct decisions concerning the appropriate action on prescriptions such as knowing when an Rx needs to be renewed or when the prescriber must be contacted for clarification (i.e., no strength on Rx). Accurately collects demographics & information. Sends accurate & thorough message using computerized information systems &/or in writing. Inputs refill information & responds to prompts/information on screen appropriately & in accordance w/ current policies & procedures. Generates, processes & messages appropriately refill authorizations according to policies&procedures. Accurately inputs all information contained on answered refill authorization, knowing when to renew, add refill, offsite or consult solutions RPh for clarification. Generates computer based reports at the request of supervisor, RPh or the member (tax report) in accordance w/ HIPAA requirements. Maintains work logs as necessary.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon or Washington Pharmacy Technician license in state where assigned OR Oregon or Washington 1st year Pharmacy Intern license with an expired Oregon or Washington Pharmacy Technician license in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer.
- Certified as a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT -Pharmacy Tech Certification Board or ICPhT - Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Techs) as of 1/1/2010 or current Pharmacy Technician employed in the NW Kaiser Permanente Region.
- Completion of an accredited Pharmacy Technician training program or minimum two (2) years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Demonstration of the ability to: Speak and read English fluently. Write coherently, legibly and spell correctly.
- Communicate effectively in all forms: written, verbal and non-verbal.
- Provide customer-focused service.
- Calculate math accurately, especially aliquots, concentrations and dilutions.
- Demonstrate a history of reliable attendance.
- Make a positive impact on the team dynamics.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Properly process sterile products in both horizontal and vertical laminar flow environments.
- Work experience in retail, business office or other service industry setting.
- Previous technician work experience.
- Post high school course in medical terminology.
- Completion of a recognized technician training program.
- Speak and read English fluently.
- Write coherently, legibly and spell correctly.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Pharmacy Careers
Whether you're a resident, technician, or specialist, you'll find a wide array of clinical services in our progressive practice environment. In addition to outpatient, inpatient/hospital, and ambulatory care/clinical opportunities, we maintain specialized pharmacy services, automated refill pharmacies, regional call centers, drug information services, and pharmacy analytical services. In fact, our mail-order pharmacy was ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a J.D. Power U.S. Pharmacy Study.
Our pharmacists also have access to a wealth of information and integrated technologies, meaning you have the information you need at your fingertips, enabling you to make the right decisions, expedite patient care, and actively participate in your patients' health.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.