Licensed Nurses & Physician Assistants
The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
RN, Mental HealthLocation: Portland, OR Job Number: 931169 Date posted: 01/08/2021
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Professional Competencies: Demonstrates personal commitment to service and to socially relevant practice. Demonstrates behaviors that illustrate commitment to KP Promise (quality you can trust, caring with a personal touch, convenient and easy and affordable). Adheres to Quality of Service Standards and Behavioral Guidelines.
- Professional Competencies: Demonstrates ethical and legal behavior in all professional activities. Acts as an advocate for individuals, groups and communities. Demonstrates accountability for own ethical behavior and for delegated actions. Demonstrates responsible and accountable behavior concerning own work schedule. Understands and supports Kaiser Permanente policies, legal considerations and professional ethics. Adheres to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and confidentiality policies.
- Professional Competencies: Utilizes a critical thinking approach to problem solve and make decisions. Applies analytical reasoning, reflection and rational problem-solving skills, using verifiable information, and clinical judgment, in order to choose among alternative solutions to clinical problems. Fosters and uses innovative thinking to create alternative solutions. Demonstrates the ability to analyze, synthesize and utilize data to provide optimal nursing care.
- Professional Competencies: Understands and provides competent care to a diverse population. Uses knowledge of cultural differences to provide nursing care that is sensitive to and consistent with cultural values, beliefs, and customs. Provides culturally sensitive teaching materials to individuals, families and groups.
- Professional Competencies: Practices health care team building and leadership skills. Applies leadership skills to facilitate effective team functioning and operations of the module or department. Role models and facilitates change within the health care team to respond to health care and organizational needs. Directs, delegates and monitors quality of care delivered by the health care team and brings deviations to the attention of staff involved and Team Leader. Mentors new staff and assists with orientation and staff development needs. Collaborates with Team Leader and Manager in setting quality standards for nursing care and in the development of policies and procedures. Provides input to Team Leader and Manager about the job performance of other RNs, LPNs and unlicensed personnel in the health care team. Demonstrates commitment to customer service.
- Professional Competencies: Participates in population-based care activities. Participates in out reach and in reach activities to meet clinical targets. Effectively identifies needs and provides prevention, early intervention and ongoing health education for panel population, individual patient and family. Assists individuals and groups to learn self-management skills that promote and protect health. Develops teaching plans for individuals and groups related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Professional Competencies: Demonstrates technological literacy in using computerized information systems. Accesses, evaluates and uses data and information from a wide range of resources. Demonstrates effective use of computer-based information and practice management systems for decision support, provision of care, continuous quality improvement and professional development. Provides input to the development of information systems that impact the provision of patient care. Facilitates the members' use of health care technologies.
- Professional Competencies: Participates in ongoing continuing education activities and shares knowledge with other health care team members. Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning that advances professional nursing practice. Demonstrates ability to identify own learning needs. Actively works to address personal and professional growth needs. Serves as resource, mentor and role model for other members of the health care team.
- Clinical Competencies: Provides evidence-based, clinically competent nursing care in a culturally sensitive manner. Plans, implements, manages, coordinates and evaluates a plan of care across the care continuum. Facilitates member wellness and function and identifies needs for health care interventions. Utilizes appropriate assessment tools, processes, clinical pathways and guidelines to manage patient care. Integrates theory and research-based knowledge in the provision of direct and indirect nursing care. Performs and modifies therapeutic and preventive nursing measures and administers treatments and medications as authorized by law and determined by the State Board of Nursing. Performs skilled nursing tasks competently and demonstrates operational knowledge of procedures and equipment. Performs triage and telephone advice independently and within scope of the Oregon and/or Washington Nurse Practice
Acts. Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for staff, patients and family members. Participates in the research process. Documents the nursing care provided which demonstrates the application of the nursing process and complies with departmental and/or organizational standards.
- Clinical Competencies: Applies effective oral and written communication skills in interacting with patients, families and members of the health care team. This includes effective negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Organizational Competencies: Recognizes the impact of systems on health care delivery. Facilitates coordination of care across all settings with particular attention to transitional needs. Functions within interdisciplinary teams in a manner that promotes coordination, mutual respect and timely response to the patient's health care needs.
- Organizational Competencies: Acts as an advocate for individuals and groups with unmet health needs.
- Organizational Competencies: Applies the knowledge and tools of continuous improvement in clinical practice and the delivery of health care.
- Minimum two (2) years of RN experience in acute care or ambulatory care/clinic setting within the last five (5) years OR successful completion of the Kaiser Permanente NW Ambulatory RN New Grad/transition to practice program
- Minimum two (2) years psychiatric nursing experience.
- Graduate of Accredited School of Nursing.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon and Washington RN license required. License in state where assigned required upon hire/transfer, application for
license in secondary state required within 2 weeks of hire/transfer and must be obtained within 6 months.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required upon hire/transfer.
- Broad-based knowledge of Mental Health diagnoses and treatment, including psychotropic medications and associated lab monitoring.
- Knowledge of contributory and/or co-existing diagnoses such as chronic pain, fibromyalgia, eating disorders, and chemical dependency.
- Knowledge of risk factors of suicidality and lethality.
- Basic diagnostic assessment through the use of the DSM V.
- Skills and ability to assess suicidality, lethality, and to handle crisis situations.
- Demonstrates clinical nursing and leadership skills.
- Able to type 20 words per minute.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to learn computerized information systems.
- Demonstrates ability to work within teams and within a dynamic work environment.
- Customer focused.
- Current or future bachelor's degree in nursing or related field.
- Certification in Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing and/or Nursing Case Management.
- Proficiency in computerized information systems.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.