Accounting, Actuarial & Finance
Support the Bottom Line — and the Big Picture
Create the financial strategies that affect our patients, medical centers, and future. On this team, you'll provide the strategy recommendations that drive operational and process improvement, as well as face challenging opportunities to influence the future of health care.
Accountant SeniorLocation: Rancho Cucamonga, CA Job Number: 945385 Date posted: 06/21/2021
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Responsible for the recording of daily transactions relating to cash transactions, accounts payable transactions, payroll transactions & premium & claims transactions, for the completion of accurate & timely accounting records & for the production of financial & regulatory reports, based on those records. Other responsibilities include performing account analysis, preparing account reconciliations, preparing accounting statements & reports, & coordination & management of account reporting & filings. Plans, coordinates & resolves accounting matters w/ other Accounting members, departments, locations & divisions. Accounting policies & procedures are established to ensure that all financial transactions are executed & documented in accordance w/ generally accepted accounting principles. Findings & recommendations are presented to senior management.
- Record entries to & perform reconciliations of various complex accounts, including bank accounts, those requiring complex analysis or those w/ high visibility to senior management.
- Prepare various investment schedules & financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, etc. & produce reports for management or outside parties.
- Review financial reports for accuracy.
- Provide analysis of various complex accounts.
- Perform financial analysis, translate data into a management report & make recommendations for the management of financial resources.
- Recommend methods & procedures to improve specific task-related activities & the functioning of the accounting department. Resolve issues w/ other staff or departments w/out management involvement.
- Provide support for internal & external audits, & Third Party Administrator's (TPA) data, & back-up support for creation of regulatory financials.
- Investigate & resolve issues & complete special projects as needed.
- Review reconciliations, journal entries & reports prepared by Associate Accountant or Accountant. Provide guidance/direction to team members as needed for the results of the review.
- Participate in training newly hired Associate Accountants or Accountants.
- Responsibilities impact the achievement of key department &/or functional objectives.
- Contributes to the achievement of department objectives.
- Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve department objectives would normally affect expenditures & resources.
- Able to use judgment to determine if TPA & divisions in providing data have made adequate progress requested. Resolve issue w/ party. Escalate only if needed.
- Ability to work w/out structure & prioritize tasks effectively.
- Represents the accounting department in communications to outside parties. Able to identify potential problems w/out supervision, & develop & present solutions to staff & management.
- Ability to h&le multiple tasks & solve problems independently w/out detailed supervision. Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions & meet established deadlines. Able to piece together complex data from multiple sources, & determine if the data is adequate to meet financial reporting requirements for GAAP & for outside agency purposes.
- Provides professional/technical guidance to team members.
- Influences other team members & outside parties regarding existing concepts, processes &/or methodology.
- Operates under general supervision.
- Provides periodic informal work guidance/direction to, & training of team members.
- Assume other duties as directed.
- Generally five (5) years demonstrated experience performing detailed accounting functions including preparation of supporting schedules, journal entries, financial statements and account reconciliations.
- Four (4) year degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Excellent spreadsheet (Excel), word processing (Word), and database (Access) skills required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and problem solving skills.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge and ability to translate raw data into input formats that will ultimately generate accurate financial and management reports.
- Aptitude for numbers, strong attention to detail and well organized.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Accounting, Finance, & Actuarial Careers
Members of our accounting team support corporate projects and lend insight to areas such as financial reporting, tax planning and preparation, and audit management. This team also includes our audit professionals, who partner with financial and operational groups across the organization to analyze budgets and streamline procedures.
Supporting critical business functions such as financial services, national Medicare finance, strategic planning, auditing, and corporate finance, our finance professionals develop the strategies that enable us to meet our financial goals.
Applying probability and statistics to the practical problems of insurance, our actuarial team performs a variety of duties, including calculating the cost of premiums and policy values, preparing statistical studies, and forecasting financial results.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.