Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Clinical Lab Scientist SupervisorLocation: Redwood City, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 751618 Date posted: 12/21/2018
- Assigns, directs, & monitors the work of Clinical Lab Scientists & other personnel.
- Trains laboratory assistants on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practice.
- Trains Clinical Lab Scientists & other laboratory personnel on proper techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory practices.
- Correctly verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the correct patients & that the correct test is being performed.
- Judges the adequacy & qualities of specimens submitted for testing.
- Analyzes clinical laboratory specimens following the standard methods & procedures approved by the Laboratory Director or designee.
- Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of clinical data.
- Assist with Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement activities consistent with the Laboratory Quality Plan.
- Utilizes test reference ranges (including neonates, pediatric & adult) to determine reasonableness of test results.
- Validates test results through correlation with test parameters (e.g., Hgb/Hct, anion gap, platelet count/smear, dipstick/micro etc).
- Confirms testing on all Critical Values to ensure accuracy prior to releasing of test results.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance & troubleshooting on assigned instruments & equipment according to established schedule & procedure.
- Performs & documents instrument function by checking & calibrating specific lab instruments & documents data.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, & maintenance needed of equipment.
- Releases or reports results per Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures.
- Trains laboratory assistants, & other Clinical Lab Scientist, on proper techniques/ procedures related to clinical laboratory practice.
- Directly supervises incumbents in the clinical laboratory.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Three (3) years of Clinical Laboratory Scientist experience.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Computer application experience/proficiency preferred.
- Baccalaureate degree in Clinical Lab Sciences or related field; Applicable military experience may be substituted for a bachelor's degree.
- Current California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist or Bio-analyst License.
- Able to perform all duties of a Senior CLS.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and competence to perform and check all work required of those supervised, in accordance with applicable CLIA regulations.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write technical policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.