Deliver Expert Advice
Alongside physicians, clinicians, and patients, you'll work as a respected and vital member of our care delivery team. Providing information and recommending treatment programs that support our proactive philosophy, you'll approach health from a holistic perspective that includes alternative therapies and lifestyle changes in addition to the latest medications.
Executive Director, Pharmacy Operations (Washington)Location: Renton, WA Job Number: 955329 Date posted: 04/15/2021
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Provides executive leadership, direction and decision-making for all Pharmacy Operations and Services across the region, in alignment with organizational, regional and national pharmacy strategy. The position reports directly to the Senior Vice President and Chief Pharmacy Officer and indirectly to the KFH/HP Chief Operating Officer in the region. Responsible for ensuring consistently high levels of performance and pharmaceutical care delivery across all pharmacy service lines, including Outpatient, Acute Care, Ambulatory Care, Home Infusion, Central Refill/ Call Center(s)/Mail Order Pharmacy, Drug Use Management, Specialty and Administration. This position is expected to build strong collaborative relationships with other key leaders at the Senior Leadership level in the region (KFH/HP and Medical Group), ensuring that Pharmacy Operations is positioned to optimize performance in terms of quality, service, affordability and technology. Collaborates with National/Enterprise Pharmacy, Regional and Service Area Leadership to allocate operating budgets across Washington to assure appropriate resource utilization and consistent operations, quality and scope of service. Responsible to monitor performance against budgets and make appropriate adjustments to achieve financial goals. Assists the Senior Vice President and Chief Pharmacy Officer National in the development and execution of a national strategy for the delivery of pharmaceutical care across the Program. Builds strong collaborative relationships with National Pharmacy Service Line Leaders and other Pharmacy leadership in all regions of the Program to ensure alignment of resources and efficiency of operations. Collaborates with peers within the National Pharmacy Executive Team to ensure optimal delivery of pharmaceutical care and implementation of best practices in operational service lines as well as centralized services, technology, quality processes, regulatory compliance and drug use management. Provides executive leadership, direction and decision-making to ensure adherence to Medication Safety requirements in all practice settings. In conjunction with the National and Regional Pharmacy Compliance and Controls staff, contributes to the development of an effective National Pharmacy Compliance program. Responsible to ensure compliance with legislative, regulatory and accreditation standards for all Pharmacy in the region. Provides executive leadership, direction and decision-making to ensure service delivery that is customer-focused, data driven, outcome oriented and quality focused. Responsible to achieve all service and quality targets, goals and metrics in all practice settings in all Pharmacy Operations and Services. Provides executive leadership to assure that directors and managers in Pharmacy Operations and Services actively support the organization’s commitment to the Labor-Management Partnership. Responsible to ensure compliance with applicable collective bargaining agreements. Provides executive leadership to assure the professional/management development at the individual level for direct reports to assure high performing teams and personnel necessary for the long term success of Pharmacy Services in Kaiser Permanente. This position consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (Kaiser Permanentes Code of Conduct) by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to the applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licenser requirements (if applicable), and Kaiser Permanentes policies and procedures.
Strategic Planning and Implementation:
- Leads and maintains the strategy development for Pharmacy Services. Designs, reviews, recommends and implements service delivery planning approved by organizational senior leadership.
- Creates department vision and work plan in accordance with the organizational vision and operating plan. Directs and provides leadership to innovation projects that improve pharmacy care delivery.
- Develops, implements, and provides oversight to major projects or initiatives related to department direction, vision and improvement.
Department Operation and Leadership:
Service and Quality
- Provides leadership to those who manage the pharmacy operations of professional, technical and administrative responsibilities of the department across all sites of care in full accordance with the organizational hospital and regional ambulatory care operating plans, as well as, all legal, regulatory and compliance requirements of Pharmacy Services. Including the Boards of Pharmacy in the applicable state/region, the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency and Federal statues.
- Assures high quality of service, identifying, designing and implementation of needed improvement activities.
- Strives for and achieves market leading performance by providing services that are rated highly by patients and internal customers, including the Permanente Medical Group.
- Creates and provides oversight to an overall service and quality plan for Pharmacy Services
- Ensures department keeps pace with technical innovation and deployment; collaborating with the organizational IT department, nationally and locally as needed.
- Provides leadership to the Regional Formulary and Therapeutics Committee
- Leads, implements and oversees an effective drug utilization management program in partnership with the Washington Permanente Medical Group to ensure appropriate utilization and quality/safety in the use of pharmaceuticals
- Assures cost effective operations, utilizing productivity improvement tools in addition to methods that ensure appropriate utilization of all products and services
- Leads the creation and implementation of the department budget and resource plan
- Creates and manages the pharmacy equipment and capital program
- Ensures revenue capture, cash collection and optimize billing function
- Provides leadership modeling of the KP Service and Behavior guidelines
- Consults and coordinates with hospital, medical office and department leaders on local operating practices and other issues.
- Creates and implements a strong leadership team, including strong frontline management for inpatient and outpatient pharmacy operations and all other operational responsibilities
- Provides direction to entire leadership team regarding leadership skills, knowledge of KP business practices, effective partnering with Permanente and the Labor Management Partnership (LMP).
- Meets with leadership team on an individual basis regarding individual performance. Performs senior leader rounding activities on–site where pharmacy services are being delivered.
- Ensures highly competent staff and managers utilizing performance management, assessment and training.
- Direct involvement with patients/customers when needed especially related to service recovery activities and recommendations from patient advisory group(s)
- Minimum seven (7) years of leadership-level experience and documented record of success in management of pharmacy operations.
- Bachelor-s degree in Pharmacy or Pharm D required.
- Pharmacist License (in location where applicable)
- Proven ability to lead and manage through influence and change, achieve performance outcomes through others and galvanize action through synthesis and interpretation of outcome data.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize effective communication, presentation, financial management, and analytical skills required
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage professionals and others through influence and collaboration across multiple sites.
- Proven ability to balance execution of strategic vision through leadership and delegation, with a willingness and competence to make effective and timely decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with physician and health care administrators.
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable federal state and local regulatory standards
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment
- Master-s degree in Health Care Administration, Business Administration or related field preferred.
Learn About Pharmacy Careers
Whether you're a resident, technician, or specialist, you'll find a wide array of clinical services in our progressive practice environment. In addition to outpatient, inpatient/hospital, and ambulatory care/clinical opportunities, we maintain specialized pharmacy services, automated refill pharmacies, regional call centers, drug information services, and pharmacy analytical services. In fact, our mail-order pharmacy was ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a J.D. Power U.S. Pharmacy Study.
Our pharmacists also have access to a wealth of information and integrated technologies, meaning you have the information you need at your fingertips, enabling you to make the right decisions, expedite patient care, and actively participate in your patients' health.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.