HIM Coder II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Code hospital, ambulatory surgical center and clinic services by assigning ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS codes for facility and/or professional services delivered to patient by Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington providers and staff using encoding software and coding books.
- Apply knowledge of medical science, medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and official coding guidelines to select codes.
- Abstract medical information from electronic or paper medical record systems.
- Perform data entry via electronic encoder or via manual data entry.
- Maintain KFHPW standards for coding quality and productivity.
- Maintains required certification by pursuing ongoing coding and health information continuing education.
- Track and report productivity based on current departmental processes.
- Track and log other data on coding activities or documentation quality as requested by management.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required by management which are held at various Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington locations in the Puget Sound area.
- Support the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington values of customer focus, accountability, innovation, excellence and integrity by actively participating in and contributing to improvements in team communications, work flow efficiencies, and enhancements to overall coding quality.
- Vocational school/certificate program in medical terminology; medical science and disease processes; anatomy and physiology; ICD, CPT and HCPCS coding, and coding guidelines.
- Coding Specialist Certificate OR Registered Health Information Administrator Certificate OR Professional Coder Certificate - Hospital OR Registered Health Information Technician Certificate OR Outpatient Coder Certificate OR Professional Coder Certificate OR Coding Specialist Certificate - Physician Based
- Knowledge of ICD, CPT and E&M coding and HCPCS coding, including application of official coding guidelines for hospital, ambulatory surgery and clinic settings.
- Knowledge of medical billing and compliance requirements.
- Customer service, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Computer skill in MS Windows environment, including Excel and 10-key.
- More than one coding certification at time of hire/transfer.
- Associates degree in health information technology from CAHIM-accredited program.
- Working knowledge of electronic medical record systems and encoder applications.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest