Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Clinical Lab Scientist ExternLocation: Richmond, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 821567 Date posted: 08/29/2019
- Using the training environment, performs tests on post-verified patient specimens and unknowns and reviews results with supervisor or designee for competency assessment.
- Loads specimens on analyzers as directed by a CLS and locates specimens for add-on tests.
- Demonstrates the ability to determine the adequacy and qualities of specimens submitted for testing and gives specimens to licensed laboratory personnel for final disposition.
- Practices quality control procedures and demonstrates an understanding of the importance of quality control for ensuring accuracy of clinical data.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance and troubleshooting on assigned instruments and equipment according to established schedule and procedure and under the supervision of a CLS.
- Records on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance needed of equipment.
- Receives supplies into a testing area; dates and stores appropriately under the direction of the CLS.
- Performs data entry for statistical analysis to support the CLS's evaluation, validation and correlation studies.
- As directed by the supervisor or manager, assists with special projects not requiring licensed staff.
- Baccalaureate degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences (CLS) or a related field. Applicable military experience may be substituted for bachelor's degree.
- Recent completion of a California State approved CLS training program at a Kaiser Permanente Northern California facility and eligible to take the State approved CLS licensingexam by start of the CLS Extern position.
License, Certification, Registration
- CLS Extern must take and pass the California State Clinical Laboratory Scientist License exam prior to expiration of the Extern position.
- CLS Extern position expires after ninety (90) days from date of hire into the Extern position.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Computer application experience/proficiency preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.