Health Educator I
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Conducts needs assessments, establishes priorities, designs, implements, & evaluates basic health education programs, protocols, & standards
- Coordinates a wide range of health education services, including establishing effective referral & publicity systems, monitoring quality & documentation, providing scheduling & logistical support, & facilitating use of community services to promote the delivery of cost effective health education services
- Provides direct group or one-on-one health education services to members & the public
- Reviews, develops, & recommends high quality, culturally appropriate written & audio-visual health education materials
- Consults w/ physicians & staff regarding related health education services
- Coordinates health information projects such as program catalogs, newsletter, informational displays, & community health events
- Specializes in a specific area of health education (e.g., HIV nutrition, chronic disease, health promotion) as required
- Prepares reports, grants, proposals, & documentation as assigned
- Participates in establishing department strategic goals & priorities
- If Medical Nutrition Therapy is performed, under California Law, this will be performed by only a Registered Dietitian
- If the position requires a Registered Dietitian then this section applies:
- Individual Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
- Provides high quality, evidence-based, efficient, customer-focused MNT, including nutrition screening, assessment, care planning, & education for appropriate nutrition intervention
- Develops, implements & monitors ongoing plan of care based on the screening & assessment of the patient specific nutrition care plans/education & based on the patient's age, nutrition & psychosocial status, diagnosis, cultural background, & religious affiliation
- Other duties as assigned
• Previous experience in providing and coordinating health education services (usually one (1) year)
• Previous experience in curriculum development
• Two (2) years of recent teaching/program planning, preferred
• Previous individual, small group and large group/classroom training/teaching experience, preferred
• Bachelor's degree in health education or equivalent experience required
• If position requires the candidate to be a Registered Dietitian, then the following applies:
• Must be a Registered Dietitian (RD), as confirmed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
• Pre-RDs may be considered if candidate has completed the Supervised Practice Program (SPP) for RDs, AND not more than six (6) months has passed since completing the SPP, AND candidate has not previously failed the RD registration exam, AND candidate must become a RD within 6 months of completing the SPP to comply with California Law
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
• Demonstrated knowledge of behavior change, adult learning theory, group process theory and application
• Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of PC applications required
• Demonstrates working knowledge of mainframe and personal computing systems.
• Demonstrates highly effective interpersonal, written and verbal communications.
• Knowledge of behavior change, adult learning theory, preferred
• Curriculum and materials development, preferred
• Demonstrated ability to use effective verbal and written communication skills, preferred
• Must be able to work in a Labor Management Partnership Environment
- Preferred: experience with enteral/parenteral nutrition care experience with peds CDE Level 1 & 2 considered.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.