Support the Bottom Line — and the Big Picture
Create the financial strategies that affect our patients, medical centers, and future. On this team, you'll provide the strategy recommendations that drive operational and process improvement, as well as face challenging opportunities to influence the future of health care.
Accountant IILocation: Rockville, MD Additional Locations:
Job Number: 832360 Date posted: 10/09/2019
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Accountant II handles journal entries, analysis, data entry, account reconciliations and other responsibilities. Responsibilities include preparation of journal entries and analysis essential for the company financial statements, account analysis, account reconciliations, program office reporting, SOX compliance, internal and external reporting, direct involvement with/ internal and external auditors (both GAAP and STAT); providing timely and accurate financial information, analytic review and analysis of financial information to Division and Local Market Supervisors and Managers; preparing journal entries for major accounts, and assisting in the maintenance of the automated books of original entry. Management uses the financial statements to make operating decisions. Mistakes can have serious financial implications for the Division and Local Markets. This position has a low tolerance for error.
- Prepares monthly journal entries and analysis for all accounts under specific responsibility and interprets monthly internal financial statements (consolidated and nonconsolidated), monthly and year-end external Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and may provide assistance with/ quarterly/year-end Statutory Financial Reports.
- Performs analytic review and prepares variance analyses. Interprets results for supervisors and managers.
- Prepares trend analyses using computer models and graphs. Prepares ongoing and special management reports from financial data.
- Reviews automated books of original entry for all entities and ensures that entries posted are made in accordance with/ GAAP. Assists management in reading and interpreting financial reports. Assists in maintaining the automated general ledger system reports.
- Prepares computer generated schedules and work papers for external and internal auditors, as well as, for federal and state regulators and facilitates the audits.
- Prepares and reviews journal entries for major accounts in order to generate accurate financial statements.
- Prepares, reviews, and analyzes computer generated account reconciliations. Maintains the Division's chart of accounts in accordance with/ corporate guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Four (4) years' experience as an accountant in a large corporate accounting department or a public accounting firm.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), General Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), banking regulations and Statutory Accounting Principles (STAT) required.
- Good communication skills required.
- PC software skills required.
- Working knowledge of CIP accounting (construction in progress)
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Accounting, Finance, & Actuarial Careers
Members of our accounting team support corporate projects and lend insight to areas such as financial reporting, tax planning and preparation, and audit management. This team also includes our audit professionals, who partner with financial and operational groups across the organization to analyze budgets and streamline procedures.
Supporting critical business functions such as financial services, national Medicare finance, strategic planning, auditing, and corporate finance, our finance professionals develop the strategies that enable us to meet our financial goals.
Applying probability and statistics to the practical problems of insurance, our actuarial team performs a variety of duties, including calculating the cost of premiums and policy values, preparing statistical studies, and forecasting financial results.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.