Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Orthopedic Technician IILocation: Sacramento, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 799130 Date posted: 06/10/2019
- Applies, adjusts, and removes casts, assembles traction apparatus, and fits strappings and splints for orthopedic patients by performing duties that may include, but are not exclusive to:
- Covers injured areas with specified protective materials such as stockinette bandages, gauze, or rubber pads, preparatory to cast application. Understands and utilizes the proper application of aseptic techniques in dressing changes and setting up surgical fields.
- Wets, wraps, and molds plaster bandages around area of fracture.
- Assists Orthopedic Surgeons in reduction of fractures.
- Trims plaster.
- Removes whole and broken casts and alters position of cast to change setting of patients limb or body part as directed.
- Assembles wooden, metal, plastic, or plaster material to make orthopedic splints.
- Rigs pulleys, ropes, and frames to assemble fracture beds.
- Attaches traction supports to patients limb and adjusts support to specified tension.
- Assembles exercise frames.
- Adjusts crutches, canes, braces, and splints to fit patient.
- Responsible for suture removal, staple removal, and dressing changes including una boot application.
- Secures provider order before providing care.
- Instructs patients in care of and assists patients in walking with casts, braces, crutches, and other Ortho apparatus and supplies as ordered.
- Documents interventions in the medical record.
- Responsible for maintaining supplies in cast room and treatment rooms, to include ordering and stocking materials.
- Assist in making follow-up appointments and consultation appointments with specialists for patients.
- Follow-up with clinical patients, (calling patients and having follow-up visit with Orthopedic Technician).
- Serve as technical advisor to the hospital staff in matters pertaining to orthopedic devices and equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Must meet one (1) of the following two (2) qualifications:
- At least two (2) years of experience (part time experience of twenty (20) hours a week or more on a regular basis will be considered as if it were full-time experience) in orthopedic patient care in an acute hospital or clinic within the past three (3) years plus the demonstrated ability to perform, and, under general supervision, frequently will perform the most complex techniques and procedures of the classification, in accordance with the specifications set by the department chief or designee OR-
- At least one (1) year of experience as an Orthopedic Technician with Kaiser Permanente AND Certification by the National Board of Certification of Orthopedic Technologists (NBCOT).
- Experience in automated clinical information systems preferred.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Documented graduation from an Orthopedic Technician training program.
- Computer literate preferred.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.