Senior Legislative Representative
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Represents the interests of Kaiser Permanente as an operating entity, our members and the communities we serve-all with a high degree of integrity, broad understanding of the impact of public policy and a realistic understanding of what is possible in the real world. Guides and represents Kaiser Permanente on legislative and regulatory affairs with elected officials and government officials in legislative bodies, regulatory and other agencies and their respective staffs. Ensures companys interest is reflected to best advantage. Monitors progress of legislative and regulatory issues of interest to the company and its members, and provides analysis to company officials. Develops strategy regarding and meets with elected government and regulatory officials to advise them of issues related to the healthcare industry. Directs and works with designated trade and business associations and advocacy groups on political, legislative and regulatory issues of importance to the company.
- Represent Kaiser Permanente (KP) on public policy issues through accurate and persuasive communication and negotiations with relevant legislators and staff, executive branch officials, trade associations and the policy community in general.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with state officials, key legislative and administrative branch staff, legislators, trade associations and other groups of importance to KPs advocacy efforts.
- Use a thorough, in-depth knowledge of Kaiser Permanente and its operations, including principles, philosophies, policies and organizational structure, necessary to advocate independent of supervision.
- Review relevant legislation as introduced and amended, making an initial assessment of its impact on KP. Provide summaries for internal discussion and distribution. Accountable for tracking and/or monitoring and reporting for senior management the results of actualization of lobbying efforts.
- Educate policymakers and their staff about Kaiser Permanente and the impact of proposed legislation or regulations on Kaiser Permanente specifically and health care organizations in general.
- Advise Program Offices, Regional Management and Permanente Medical Groups on pending legislation, regulations, changes in key government policy or personnel and other government relations matters pertinent to their operations.
- Advise Program Offices, Regional Management and the Permanente Medical Groups on development of legislative policy positions.
- No formal staff management. Provides knowledge transfer as appropriate. May provide structure within teams that engage in self-directed work. May provide staff leadership. May manage outside resources.
- Minimum seven (7) years of directly related legislative or executive branch experience, to include in-depth knowledge of, and direct experience with the legislative and/or regulatory process with a Masters degree, OR
- Minimum nine (9) years of directly related legislative or executive branch experience, to include in-depth knowledge of, and direct experience with the legislative and/or regulatory process with a Bachelors degree required.
- Bachelors degree in a related field such as liberal arts, business administration, political science, policy administration, or a similar emphasis required.
- Lobbying Registration required at hire
- Have a seasoned track record at the Capitol and be well regarded.
- Have a professional and personal reputation that is characterized by integrity and credibility, and is comfortable advocating Kaiser Permanentes values and mission.
- Have established relationships with members of the State or Federal legislature, their staff and with key members of the Executive Branch, depending on area of professional focus.
- Knowledge of and experience with health care issues required, including direct experience with health care policy analysis in general and demonstrated ability to advocate on health care issues in the legislative and/or regulatory context.
- Overall in-depth knowledge and ongoing interest in the political process.
- Demonstrated ability to gain an in-depth knowledge and intuitive understanding of Kaiser Permanentes interests, and the ability to convey this knowledge while advocating at various levels on behalf of KP.
- Demonstrated ability in advocacy and formulating alternatives on complex issues.
- Demonstrates functional area business process acumen and the ability to thoroughly understand cross-functional business areas.
- Demonstrated analytical ability.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written are essential.
- Ability to communicate well under pressure with tact and diplomacy, with respect for alternative points of view, including ability to communicate well under hostile circumstances/in the public domain.
- Ability to handle ambiguous circumstances and understand when consultation with colleagues/management/key stakeholders is necessary.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Ten (10) years of directly related legislative or executive branch experience, to include in-depth knowledge of, and direct experience with the legislative and/or regulatory process.
- Knowledge of and experience with Kaiser Permanente.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest