Celebrating Mind, Body and Smile
Join the team that's been practicing outstanding dental care in the Pacific Northwest for more than 40 years and see what a difference comprehensive, coordinated care can make.
Dental Assistant - On Call *Possible sign on bonusLocation: Salem, OR Job Number: 893514 Date posted: 10/22/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
1. PERFORM ALL OF THE DUTIES permitted a dental assistant consistent with the individual-s training and in the presence of or under the observation of a licensed provider as referenced in State Dental Practice Act and the related Administrative Rules. These duties to include:
- Apply topical anesthetic and desensitizing agents, as directed by the provider,
- Removal of sutures and post-extraction and periodontal dressings,
- Retract a patient-s cheek, tongue, or other tissue during an operation,
- Assist in the placement or removal of a rubber dam,
- Remove debris created during operative procedures with a vacuum device, compressed air, mouth washes, or water,
- Extra-oral procedures which are not hazardous,
- Inspect the oral cavity using a mirror,
- Dry root canals with paper points,
- Place temporary filling material into the endodontic access,
- Take impressions for periodontal night guard,
- Polish the coronal surfaces of teeth when a dentist or hygienist has determined teeth are free of calculus,
- Train persons (patients) in techniques of oral hygiene and prevention of oral disease,
Place films (dental radiographs), adjust equipment preparatory to exposing films, and expose films.
2. IN SUPPORT of the practice of a dentist provider who is not an orthodontist;
- Preliminary select and size bands,
- Remove fixed orthodontic appliances,
- Check for loose bands and brackets,
- Remove ligature ties and head appliances,
- Place and remove arch wires, elastics and orthodontic separators,
- Take intra-oral measurements for orthodontic procedures,
- Remove supra-gingival orthodontic bracket bonding material with a hand piece that does not exceed 25,000 revolutions per minute
- Place ligature ties and head appliances.
- Train persons (patients) in techniques of oral hygiene and prevention of oral disease.
- Place films (dental radiographs), adjust equipment preparatory to exposing films, and expose films.
3. ORGANIZE patient-s dental record consistent with established guidelines, confirm its availability and assure that it is in order and ready for provider-s use at the time care and service is to be provided.
4. GREET, INTRODUCE SELF TO, and INFORM PATIENT of general treatment to be provided and provider to be seen consistent with established Kaiser Permanente Behavioral Guidelines.
5. REVIEW HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE with patient and notify provider of reported conditions that could effect treatment.
6. PROMOTE patient-s emotional comfort by gaining rapport, instilling confidence and promoting tranquility.
7. INFORM and ANSWER patient-s and/or parent-s questions regarding care and service provided as directed by provider.
8. ANTICIPATE NEEDS of provider in the delivery of patient care and service.
9. COMMUNICATE INFORMATION important to maintaining the proper scheduling and flow of patients consistent with information recorded in the patient-s dental record.
10. PREPARE, ORGANIZE, ARRANGE and PASS DENTAL INSTRUMENTS, SUPPLIES AND MATERIALS as requested by the provider and required by established guidelines.
11. ESTABLISH and MAINTAIN a CLEAR and CLEAN OPERATING FIELD.
12. RECORD and/or VERIFY INFORMATION in the patient-s dental record according to established procedures.
13. RECORD and/or VERIFY ALL PATIENT CARE AND SERVICE RELATED INFORMATION on all necessary forms and documents consistent with established guidelines and in a manner that accurately reflects the information documented in the patient-s dental record.
14. AS REQUIRED IN SUPPORT OF DIRECT PATIENT CARE ACTIVITIES, ENTER, RETRIEVE AND TRANSMIT PATIENT CARE AND SERVICE RELATED INFORMATION via the Program-s automated patient and provider scheduling system (TEAM), consistent with established guidelines and training.
15. RESPOND TO MEDICAL EMERGENCY SITUATIONS consistent with established guidelines.
16. EXPOSE and PROCESS DENTAL RADIOGRAPHS as required consistent with established guidelines and radiology equipment use specifications.
17. TAKE PATIENT-S BLOOD PRESSURE and ACCURATELY RECORD in patient-s dental record.
18. CLEAN and STERILIZE and PROCESS INSTRUMENTS consistent with established guidelines.
19. MAINTAIN CLEAN, ORDERLY, WELL ORGANIZED AND SUPPLIED WORK ENVIRONMENT, including assigned operatory, laboratory and instrument processing areas, consistent with established infection control.
20. ASSURE PROPER HANDLING OF ALL MATERIALS in accordance with Hazard Communication Program and Infection Control Guidelines.
21. ASSURE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF EQUIPMENT through the periodic completion of established preventive maintenance procedures such as cleaning and oiling, and reporting non-functioning, damaged, etc. equipment to office manager or supervisor in a timely manner.
22. PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED by the office manager or supervisory personnel that are consistent with the individual-s training and experience IN AN ACTIVE AND COOPERATIVE MANNER.
23. ACT IN CONFORMANCE with established program policies, procedures, guidelines and protocols, the Administrative Rules of the State Board of Dentistry, the State Dental Practice Act and any other laws and regulations that govern the role and responsibilities of the dental assistant and satisfactorily maintain the established qualifications for selection towards this position.
24. PERFORM THE FOLLOWING FUNCTIONS provided that the dentist is on the premises and the dentist checks the patient before and after the functions are performed;
- Place matrix retainers for alloy and composite restorations.
- Polish amalgam restorations.
- Remove supra-gingival excess cement.
- Take impressions for the following purposes;
o Diagnostic models,
o Counter and opposing models,
o Fabrication of temporary restorations,
o Intra-oral bite registration for study model articulation.
- Place and remove a rubber dam,
- Fabricate temporary plastic-type crowns.
25. ASSIST IN MONITORING PATIENTS that are being administered nitrous oxide consistent with established guidelines.
26. Other duties appropriate for EFDA as authorized by Board of Dentistry rules and regulations.
- One (1) year experience as a dental assistant OR a graduate from an ADA accredited dental assisting program or a nine (9) month dental assisting program with externship that has been pre-approved.
- High school diploma or GED
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon Certificate of Dental Radiological Proficiency upon hire.
- Oregon EFDA (Expanded Functions Dental Assistant) certification within 90 days of hire date.
- Pit and Fissure Sealant certification within 6 months of hire date.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers within 90 day of hire date.
- The individual applicant for this position must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the individual performing the selection interview, the following qualifications if he or she is to be selected. Furthermore, consistent with the fact that these qualifications are required for selection, they then must be satisfactorily maintained by the individual as a condition of continued employment.
- Demonstrated competence in four-handed dentistry technique.
- Satisfactory level of knowledge and proficiency in use of current dental materials, instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and work effectively under both direct and indirect supervision.
- Well organized in use of time and effort.
- Demonstrated capacity to act in a professionally courteous manner when interacting with patients, providers and other employees - good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Final candidate is required to pass a clinical pre-employment skills test.
Valley River Dental Offices, 1011 Valley River Wy. Ste. 116B, Eugene,Oregon, 97401
Keizer Station Dental Offices 5910 Ulali Dr., 5910 Ulali Dr., Keizer,Oregon, 97303 Scheduled Weekly Hours: 1 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun Working Hours Start: Variable Working Hours End: Variable Job Schedule: Call-in/On-Call Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: SEIU - Local 49 Job Level: Individual Contributor Job Category: Dental Department: Dental Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Dental Support Careers
Dental Support Careers
Kaiser Permanente Dental is unique to the Northwest and offers many locations in the Portland metro area, Salem, Eugene, Vancouver, and Longview. One of the largest group dental practices in the country, we share an organization-wide commitment to delivering individualized, proactive, and integrated care. Here you will find opportunities for dental support careers, including dental assistants and hygienists.
Are you a dentist? Learn more about opportunities for Dentists & Physicians.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!