A Focus on Excellence
Understanding the critical importance of eye health, our optical team members provide patients with outstanding services and care.
Ophthalmic Technician - On-Call (Salem, Oregon)Location: Salem, OR Additional Locations:
Job Number: 807934 Date posted: 08/13/2019
Assist with the provision of patient care within established policies and procedures to serve the needs of the Kaiser Permanente medical care program. Provides care to a population with predictable ophthalmic needs and assists the providers in caring for more acute needs.
- Screen patients for chief compliant, take accurate history of ophthalmic illnesses/surgeries, past ocular history, family history, & current eye related medications. Perform Ophthalmic testing as appropriate for the patient. This includes, but is not limited to the ability to check/document distance & near vision. Must be able to perform papillary assessment to rule out afferent defect & check pupil size (rule out pupillary asymmetry), corneal curvature (K readings) & color vision testing. Must be able to perform lensometry, including reading lenses with multifocal & progressive adds, power of sphere, axis of cylinder power & orientation of prism. Perform intraocular pressure checks using applanation tonometry & also using the tonopen. Perform confrontation visual fields. Must be able to perform cover/uncover test, alternate cover test & quantify strabismus; must be able to document ocular motility & the presence of strabismus or nystagmus. Must be able to perform Worth 4 dot test & Stereopsis test. Must be able to test near point of convergence, ductions, versions & vergences. Must be able to perform Potential Acuity Meter testing, Glare testing. Must demonstrate ability to check/recognize narrow angle. Instill dilating drops (and other ophthalmic drops) per physician's instructions. Take & record patient vitals when indicated in the EMR.
- Visual fields: Must perform calibration of automated perimeters, & must be able to perform automated perimetry. Maintain a working knowledge of automated perimetry, & be able to perform Amsler Grid testing.
- Must be able to perform OCT & HRT. Must be able to use IOL master & any other A scan programs for biometry readings.
- Assist doctors during examination as needed. Prepare for, set up & assist in minor surgery, & all types of laser procedures. Must be familiar with preoperative & pre-laser patient education. Apply eye dressings, protective shields as directed by the doctor. Always must be willing to assist patients in clinic areas.
- Set up & provide physician assistance with intravitreal injections.
- Per standard guidelines, clean exam lanes & minor surgical instruments. Prepare for the sterilization process either utilizing the clinic sterilizer following sterilizing protocol, or preparing instruments to be sent out for sterilization per standard protocol. Responsible for room maintenance including routing cleaning of exam lanes, & daily validation of expiration dates of dilating & other ophthalmic drops. Keep exam rooms well stocked with appropriate instruments, as well as patient handouts, & any other equipment, etc., as required by physicians.
- Maintain instruments & triage appropriately when instruments are in need of repair or replacement. Open exam lanes in the AM & close exam lanes in the PM. Provide administrative assistance & support as required, assisting administrative team as necessary. Assist in other clinic functions as necessary, including making appointments, preparing retina photography charts, or any other general duty as needed.
- Perform clerical duties to assist in maintaining departmental records & as directed by the assigned provider. Ensure that all relevant sections of the EMR are completed, & always kept up to date & current.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Two (2) years of full time employment functioning in an ophthalmic technician capacity under the supervision of an ophthalmologist, and/or successful completion of a JCAHPO accredited ophthalmic medical technology program required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers within thirty (30) days of hire required.
- WA Medical Assistant Registered within sixty (60) days of hire required.
- Proven record of attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Broad knowledge base of ophthalmic terminology.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills.
- Proficient and accurate keyboarding skills.
- Must be able to communicate both in writing and orally in English.
- Three (3) to five (5) plus years functioning in an ophthalmic technician capacity under the supervision of an ophthalmologist/or in a group ophthalmological practice/environment.
- Broad based ophthalmic technician experience preferred.
- COA, COT, or COMT certification through JCAHPO (Joint Commission on Allied Health Professionals in Ophthalmology) preferred.
- Familiarity with EpicCare or electronic based medical records system preferred.
- Proficiency in microsoft office suites preferred.
- Ability to perform Goldmann visual fields.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Vision Services Careers
Our focus on total health extends to one of our most important senses: our sight. As a member of our vision services team, you'll contribute to our members' comprehensive eye care and individual style by supporting them with a variety of services, including optometry, ophthalmology, optical sales, laser vision correction, intraocular lens implantation, cataract surgery, and more. Working directly with members, you'll promote vision health and a positive outlook as you contribute to our collaborative team.
From providing great medical care from trusted Kaiser Permanente Ophthalmologists and Optometrists, to supporting that with a great selection of eyewear at our Optical Centers — often in the same convenient location — our Vision Essentials team makes sure our members feel, see, and look their best.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.