Provide Critical Support
Our company doesn't run without our administrative professionals. Come join a team where you will utilize your strengths and have the opportunity for personal growth, empowering you to realize your potential.
HIM Coder II - Home Health, San DiegoLocation: San Diego, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 766235 Date posted: 03/05/2019
- Upholds KP's Policies & Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities & applicable state, federal & local laws
- Maintains timely coding & abstracting productivity & quality standards
- Review medical records to identify diagnoses/procedures
- Independently organizes & prioritizes all work to ensure that records are coded in time frames that will assure compliance w/ regulatory requirements
- Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of all procedures concerning the sequencing of diagnoses, procedures such as but not limited to those outlined in ICD-9-CM, Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set & Medicare Guidelines
- Demonstrates knowledge of Anatomy & Physiology to interpret general medical classifications for coding discharge data including the most complicated encounters/cases
- Assigns Codes
- Codes all diagnostic & operative information from the medical record using ICD-9-CM & CPT coding classification systems & independently quality checks own work
- Selects the DRG for each inpatient case
- Optimizes hospital payment legitimately & ethically by utilizing approved coding guidelines & conventions
- Reviews DRG discrepancies from the fiscal intermediary to ensure the appropriate per case DRG assignment
- Verifies & abstracts, all medical data from the record to complete a data abstract on each hospital encounter
- Corrects data as appropriate
- Ensures that all data abstracted is consistent w/ guidelines outlined by JCAHO, OSHPD & regional & local policies
- Completion of Medical Records:
- Interacts w/ physicians to clarify & accurately document patient diagnostic & procedural information through a query process
- Enters patient information into the computerized inpatient & outpatient medical record databases, ensuring the accuracy & integrity of the medical record abstract data prior to transmitting case to Government Reimbursement for billing
- Ensures timely record availability by meeting established coding & abstracting productivity standards
- Independently conducts medical record documentation auditing to monitor physician compliance w/ regulatory requirements i.e., Physician Review Project
- Confidentiality/Security of Systems
- Maintains & complies w/ policies & procedures for confidentiality of all patient records
- Demonstrates knowledge of security of systems by not sharing computer logons
- Other Duties
- Answers the telephone promptly & identifies themselves & the department
- Trains & instructs employees as appropriate
- Acts as an expert resource person to other coders & personnel in other hospital departments regarding coding questions & issues
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisors
- Minimum of 1 of the following current credentials: Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Completion of classes in Medical Terminology, Anatomy/ Physiology, ICD-9 and CPT coding conventions conforming to standards established by the American Hospital Association (Coding Clinic), American Medical Association, CMS or successful completion of an AAPC or AHIMA accredited coding certification program
- Obtain a passing score on a KP HIM Coder II coding Assessment. Must be current within 1 year. Please contact Human Resources for testing.
- Keyboarding skills
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Administration, Clerical & Support Services Careers
Administration, Clerical & Support Services Careers
From greeting callers and visitors and answering questions to coordinating schedules and arranging meetings, our administrative, clerical, and support teams consistently demonstrate extraordinary knowledge, skills, and abilities. They provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, our members, purchasers, contracted providers, and vendors.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Mar 26, 2019
"The best job I have ever had!"
- Positive Outlook
- Approves of CEO
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year
Real focus on creating higher quality, more affordable healthcare. Talented coworkers and great mentors. Fabulous benefits.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.