Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Optometry ManagerLocation: San Diego, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 803413 Date posted: 06/10/2019
Under the general supervision of Chief of Service and the Assistant Medical Group Administrator, plans, develops, implements, evaluates, and supervises the Optometry service delivery and quality assurance program. Develops and implements programs of peer review and inservice education. Participates in short and long range planning for improving delivery accessibility of service in the Optometry department. Provides comprehensive vision services case management to members.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Coordinates central planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Optometry programs with appropriate input from the Chief of Service and Assistant Medical Group Administrator.
- These include Optometrist and departmental goal setting, optometry projects, literature, supplies and continuing education, peer review and productivity, quality of care and service.
- Responsible for the coordination of the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of Optometry and departmental policies, clinical practice agreements and quality assurance program.
- Ensures Optometrists' compliance with all licensure requirements.
- Oversees orientation and training for Optometrists.
- Plans, coordinates and schedules the office hours and leaves for Optometrists.
- Participates in the interviewing and selection process for all Optometrist candidates, as well as completion of performance assessments of current staff.
- Performs other administrative responsibilities such as collection and compilation of Optometrist statistics, budget development and monitoring.
- An Optometry Coordinator also provides direct optometry care and services to members as listed: provides visual examinations, including for pathology.
- Conducts detection and differential diagnosis of abnormal visual, ocular and/or systematic conditions.
- Provides additional specialized testing and therapy such as contact lens examinations, visual fields (perimetry), tonometry, orthoptics (for therapy of amblyopia, suppression, diplopia, extraocular muscle problems and associated conditions), low vision evaluation for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with subnormal vision not correctable with standard opthalmic appliances, fluorescein angiography for diagnosing and documenting ocular conditions, ocular photography for photo examination of the external and internal structures of the eye under the direction of Ophthalmology.
- Provides treatment of the visual system within the scope of optometric licensure, including writing prescriptions for ophthalmic spectacles, contact lenses, orthoptics and non-optical aids.
- Works effectively as a team member/leader of other areas of Vision Services which includes Optical Lab and Optical Dispensing.
- Promotes member satisfaction by ensuring the provision of a high level of quality of service and care.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience as an Optometrist in the last three (3) years required.
- Graduate of a school or college of Optometry accredited by the State Board of Optometry.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Current California license from the State Board of Optometry.
- California certificate to use topical diagnostic pharmaceutical agents.
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) required as of May 23, 2007.
- Knowledge of optometric practice, including anatomy, physiology, pathology and mechanics of the human eye and visual processes.
- Detailed knowledge of ocular pharmacology and therapeutics.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Leadership and supervisory experience preferred.
- Under the general supervision of Chief of Service, Assistant Medical Group Administrator and Director of Optometry, plans, develops, implements, evaluates and the supervises the Optometry service delivery and quality assurance program.
- Develops and implements programs of peer review and in-service education.
- Participates in short and long range planning for improving delivery accessibility of service in the Optometry department.
- Provides comprehensive vision services case management to members.
- Works in collaboration with Director of Optometry and Ophthalmology Services.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.