Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
SPD Instrument Technician IILocation: San Diego, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 856695 Date posted: 02/09/2020
Under indirect supervision, provides a product that has been made safe and or sterile for patient care. Decontaminates, disinfect, prepare, sterilize, store and distribute medical instruments, linen, equipment, medical supplies. Pick and assemble case carts. Disinfects, stores and distributes durable medical equipment. Maintains responsibility for assigned area. Operates washer / sterilizers, washers/decontaminators, Gas, Stasrred and Steam sterilizers. Performs Bowie Dick and biological testing and maintains accurate records. Uses SPM, Case Cart, Mainframe, MMS and other related software programs daily. Responds to telephone and computer requests per department policy. Maintaining high standards of the medical center by adhering to local, regional, Infection Control and Regulatory agencies. To coordinate with all service departments' adequate supplies and equipment for day-to-day operations, while promoting safety by using good mechanics and Universal Precautions.
- Picks up contaminated supplies and equipment according to aseptic standards and returns: Sterile Processing.
- Disassembles, and cleans or decontaminates medical instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Use approved disinfectants, detergents and ultrasound cleaning.
- Assembles, inspects, tests, wraps and dates medical instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Use such guides as illustrated in manuals or lists aseptically: notifies manager of needed repairs.
- Properly loads and operates EtO, Steam Steris and Sterrad sterilizers.
- Performs biological testing and maintains accurate biological and sterilization records.
- Biological testing on Sterrads.
- Make own test ampules while observing sterile technique.
- Stages and provides delivery of processed items to user departments.
- Manages (DME) inventory tracking using SPM.
- Maintains inventory of items within the department using Event Related concepts.
- Operating Room Case Schedule, reviews, analyzes and determines preference sheets to be utilized.
- Promotes, ensures and improves customer service to internal/external customers by demonstrating skills which are consistent with the organization's philosophy of providing extraordinary customer relations and quality services.
- Performs inter-shift report.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Reports any equipment problems to supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
License, Certification, Registration
- Certified Registered Central Service Tech Certification (CRCST) at time of hire or a minimum one (1) year of recent SPD Tech
experience within the last three (3) years AND CRCST must be obtained within ninety (90) days of hire or successful completion of an
SPD Training Program and attainment of the CRCST Certification within ninety (90) days of hire.
- Knowledge of surgical instruments for all Surgical Services.
- Able to run HiVac sterilizer, ultrasound and washer sterilizer, disinfector, and gravity displacement autoclaves.
- Legible writing, strong verbal skills and computer skills.
- Position will also require the reprocessing of flexible scopes and high level disinfection of probes and tee probes.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.