Surgical Technologist II
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Assists physician during surgery as a member of surgical team.
- Passes instruments and supplies as directed. Scrubs and conforms to sterile technique for each procedure.
- Assists in draping the patient.
- Provides proper retraction of tissue.
- At the direction of the surgeon, can hold retractor (but cannot place retractor).
- Assists in controlling hemostasis by applying a Bovie to a clamp as the direction of the surgeon.
- Assists with sponging, suctioning, and performing sponge, needle/sharp, and instrument counts.
- Prepares suture for closure of surgical incision.
- Applies proper surgical dressing as directed by physician (wound healing and dressings).
- Recognizes, responds to, and assists in acute emergency situations following established procedures and policies.
- Hold and position video camera under direction of the surgeon.
- Check surgeon's preference cards and prepare sterile setup for surgeon.
- Count with circulating nurse, before she/he preps the patient.
- Be accountable for items required for documentation on that procedure.
- Anticipate wants of surgeon and keep adequate sutures and supplies ready.
- Keep "Mayo Stand" and "Back table" neat and orderly, make sure that there are no loose needles on the field.
- Confirm all specimens with the surgeon.
- Handoff specimen's to the circulator prior to the end of the case or earlier if direction of the surgeon.
- Takes all instruments to workroom for washing or places in cart to return to SPD.
- Remove suction bottles, etc., disposes of any contaminated instruments.
- Adheres to methods of sterilization, disinfecting, antisepsis & aseptic techniques.
- Packaging, storing and dispensing surgery supplies.
- Principals for maintaining environmental safety: including handing of surgical specimens and body fluids.
- Required counts.
- Electrical and radiation hazards, fire safety.
- Drains, tubes, and collection mechanisms, catheters.
- Modes of transportation to and from the O.R., including ICU transport.
- Patient care and emergency procedures.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assists surgeons with surgical procedures, in other patient areas according to patient needs, i.e. toucheostoy and PDA repair in NICU.
- Other duties as assigned or required.