Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Sterile Processing Technician II Certified (Temporary) - Grade 390Location: San Francisco, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 804859 Date posted: 10/08/2019
Under direct/indirect supervision follows approved infection control, quality assurance and departmental policies and procedures. Collects, cleans, decontaminates, disinfects and/or sterilizes surgical instruments, trays and packs, reusable medical devices and patient care equipment for inpatient Nursing and Medical Office departments. Inventories, restocks and distributes instruments, reusable medical equipment and medical supplies to Medical Center. Works a majority of time in a Sterile Processing Department cleaning, preparing, assembling, sterilizing, prepare packs, instruments, and trays for the medical center and/or medical office building. Will process inpatient operating room instruments. May assist in departmental in-services and training. Must hold current CS/SPD Certification with either the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) or The International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management.
- Infection Control - Standard Precautions: Adherence to handwashing requirements, workflow patterns, standard precautions, sterility assurance, biological monitoring, & dress code.
- Quality Assurance Monitoring: Validates & maintains: event-related protocols; disinfection and/or sterilization load parameters & records; inventory check sheet(s); & equipment monitoring.
- Documentation: Meets regulatory requirements for sterilization, high level disinfection, biological monitoring, & employee competencies.
- Accurately document & maintain daily records of all QA & sterilization functions according to regulatory agency & Infection Control standards.
- Policies & Procedures: Adheres to Organizational & Departmental policies & procedures.
- Staff Development: Participate in department employee orientation (DEO), meetings, & employee evaluation & competency programs.
- Maintains current Sterile Processing Technician Certification.
- May assist in departmental inservices & training.
- Decontamination Skills: Wears personal protective equipment.
- Inspects, disassembles, sorts, cleans, & processes reusable instrumentation & equipment.
- Selects & operates specialized cleaning equipment.
- Follows manufacturer recommendations for use of cleaning agents.
- Follows device manufactures cleaning guidelines.
- Maintains adequate cleaning supplies.
- As designated reprocesses endoscopes.
- Instrumentation Assembly 2 Identifies, inspects, & assembles all general & specialty instruments, various power equipment, laser & endoscopic instruments per specifications & manufacturer recommendations.
- Preparation & Packaging: According to manufacturer guidelines, selects & prepares packaging materials for the sterilization of reusable instrumentation.
- Principles of Sterilization: Selects appropriate method of sterilization.
- Maintains accurate sterilization records.
- Properly loads & unloads sterilization cart items.
- Verifies that sterilization parameters have been met before distribution of load.
- Equipment & Supply Mgmt: Collect, clean, check, distribute, & track patient care equipment.
- As designated, order patient care equipment, inventory assigned supply areas for replenishment, & rotate stock appropriately & stocks general & surgical carts.
- Report all malfunctioning equipment to appropriate department.
- Workplace Safety: Demonstrates awareness of personal & work area safety at all times.
- Complies w/ facility safety policies & procedures, including those for bloodborne pathogens & communicable diseases.
- Takes prompt corrective actions when hazard identified (reporting or removing, as appropriate).
- Attends required safety training.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates effective written & oral communication skills.
- Actively supports & contributes teamwork in the workplace.
- Takes responsibility & is accountable for own professional work ethics.
- Demonstrate responsibility in adhering to posted work schedules.
- Assist in inservice & training.
- Supports departmental related computer programs.
- May assume interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- In the absence of the Senior Technician, may assume interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- One (1) year experience in instrument processing.
- High School Diploma/GED.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Sterile Processing Technician Certification. Must hold current CS/SPD Certification with either the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) or The International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management.
- Must know Medical Terminology to understand instrumentation, surgical procedures, and surgical schedule.
- Must have knowledge of various types of reusable surgical instrumentation, including power equipment and micro surgical instrumentation.
- Must know how to operate Sterile Processing departmental equipment (i.e. washers, ultrasonic, steam, gas, and chemical sterilizer).
- Must know cleaning of patient care equipment (i.e. I.V. pumps, feeding pumps, pneumatic pumps, CPM machines, PCA, and hypo/hyperthermia units, etc.).
- Must know sterilization monitoring, record keeping, and quality assurance protocols.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to read, comprehend, and follow organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills with co-workers, internal, and external customers.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Departmental related computer skills.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.