Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Polysomnographic Technologist - Grade 620Location: San Jose, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 788191 Date posted: 05/08/2019
- Reviews existing patient medical information, verifies physician orders prior to data collection, & implements lab protocols & procedures. Demonstrates knowledge regarding common sleep disorders. Demonstrates knowledge of & ability to perform standard testing procedures. Performs lab computer equipment calibrations correctly & in a timely manner. Demonstrates knowledge of the theory & operation of polygraphs. Demonstrates knowledgeable regarding the theory & operation of ancillary devices. Utilizes sleep clinic montages in an appropriate manner. Demonstrates the ability to troubleshoot technical problems in an effective & timely manner.
- Distributes ambulatory equipment. instructs patients regarding hook-up procedure & testing process for overnight testing. Accurately & securely applies electrodes & sensors to patient, using universal standards, & according to clinic policy & procedures. Accurately & safety inserts Pes according to clinic policy & procedures. Appropriately fits patient for nasal mask during titration tests.
- Performs data acquisition & collection procedures according to established protocols & procedures. Correctly recognizes & eliminates artifact during data collection to meet quality standards. Provides medications to patients per physician orders & according to policy & procedures. Appropriately responds to patient care needs. Performs CPAP & Bi-level titrations according to Sleep Clinic policy & procedures. Provides comprehensive tech notes, & log sheets during polysomnograhic testing rocedures. Generates a comprehensive technologist report to reflect testing procedures, patient testing outcomes, & environmental influences. Conducts urine screen according to policy & procedure.
- Follows Infection Prevention policies & procedures. Practices universal precautions. Reports unsafe condition, immediately. Follows guidelines for emergency response during sleep recordings and/or testing procedures. Demonstrates knowledge of the emergency resuscitation procedure. Appropriately reprocesses packages & prepares supplies, according to Sleep Clinic policy & procedures for supply processing.
- Seeks resources for direction, when necessary. Adjusts communication to match special age-specific needs. Adjusts practice /selects equipment to accommodate age-specific needs. Demonstrates acceptance of patient & family regardless of race, gender, disease process, life-style, sexual orientation, religious or cultural beliefs. Responds w/ patient & nonpatient emergencies according to policies & procedures. Assists in conducting educational in-services to patients relating to procedure & equipment. Demonstrates ability to provide patient follow-up care & information in an efficient & timely manner. Maintains patient privacy.
- Manages information utilizing appropriate manual or electronic systems. Demonstrates knowledge & proficiency w/ file management system. Maintains confidentiality. Documents clinical information accurately & completely & within specified time. Adequately displays attention to detail in the laboratory environment. Demonstrates the ability to analyze data in a methodical, detail oriented, organized & timely manner. Maintains an expected competency rate of one & half hours per file for data analysis. Reviews consults & books appts.
- Two (2) years of experience as a Medical Assistant or other equivalent related health care experience.
- Twelve (12) to Eighteen (18) months of experience in the field of Polysomnography required.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Graduation from a polysomnographic educational program approved by the Medical Board of California required.
- To become registered: Must have graduated from a polysomnographic educational program approved by the Board.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current BLS issued by the American Heart Association required.
- Current Registered Polysomnographic Technician (RPSGT) Certification required.
- Current registration as a polysomnographic technologist by the Medical Board of California is required.
- Medical Assistant Certificate or other related Health Care experience.
- Must have passed a national certifying examination approved by the Board, specifically the examination given by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
- Must have a valid, current credentials as a polysomnographic technologist issued by a national accrediting agency approved by the Board, specifically the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists. Note: Until 10/22/12, a polysomnographic technologist applicant may satisfy the requirements above by submitting proof that he or she has been practicing polysomnography safely for at least five (5) years.
- Demonstrated proven knowledge and competency in all aspects of Polysomnographic testing and procedures.
- Computer proficiency and attention to detail required.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to work independently and accomplish a multitude of tasks within a team structure.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all hospital staff, physicians, and the general public.
- Some college preferred.
- Aptitude in utilizing standard laboratory equipment preferred.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.