Explore Your Future
With powerful technologies at your fingertips, you'll be the foundation for delivering accurate diagnoses as you ensure an unparalleled patient experience.
Pathology Technician Assistant AALocation: San Leandro, CA Additional Locations:
Fremont Hospital 39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy, 39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Fremont,California, 94538 Job Number: 785714 Date posted: 05/02/2019
- Receives, transports, verifies identification, logs, and prepares gross surgical and cytology specimens received in pathology.
- May be required to pick up and transport all pathology specimens from laboratory and surgery, verifying specimen identification and resolves discrepancies.
- Labels specimens, requisitions, cassettes with surgical accession number, legibly and accurately.
- Enters accession number, patient and specimen identifiers into computer database.
- Processes, prepares, and sends specimens to outside laboratory and accurately completes all associated paperwork.
- Processes, prepares, and distributes intra-facility consultations.
- Performs tissue sections according to written policies and procedures.
- Assists pathologist with gross examination.
- Sets up necessary equipment, supplies and specimens for gross examination.
- Stores specimens after examination.
- Disinfects area/instruments including cryostat.
- May assist pathologists preparing fetal/infant cadavers and associated paperwork for delivery to fetal pathologists.
- Maintains wet tissue storage.
- Stores, rotates, and disposes of all wet tissues in accordance with departmental procedures. Disinfects and maintains specimen storage cabinets.
- Disposes of tissues, decanting formaldehyde per department protocol and following all safety precautions.
- Assists other staff, as directed, and assists with clerical duties:
- Receives slides from Regional Lab and distributes slides to pathologist. Verifies accuracy of shipment.
- Files, including slides.
- Assists with stocking supplies and proper utilization of supplies.
- Mailing and distribution of report.
- Answering the telephone and responding to voicemail messages in a timely manner.
- According to established facility protocol, conducts daily morgue census; verifies if autopsy is required and collects permit chart, etc. as assigned.
- Properly labels, stores, handles, and disposes reagents and hazardous wastes according to local, State and Federal regulations. This may include recycling or reprocessing of reagents used in the department/unit including neutralization of formaldehyde before disposing.
- May be assigned to train staff in all non-grossing duties.
- Performs other duties assigned.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Current pathology experience including assisting in receipt and processing surgical specimens
- Experience in assisting the pathologists in post mortem procedures preferred
- Current pathology technical assistant experience preferred
- Must have an AA in Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technology, or equivalent education with at least 60 semester hours including, at a minimum, six semester hours each of chemistry and biology and twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology, or medical technology in any combination from an accredited institution.
Must have previously qualified or could have qualified as a laboratory medical technologist on or before February 28, 1992
On or before April 24, 1995 must have been a high school graduate or equivalent and have either graduated from a HHS approved medical laboratory training program or successfully completed an official U.S. military medical laboratory procedures training course of at least 50 weeks duration and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician).
- Good working knowledge of basic clinical laboratory and pathology terminology
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills necessary to work under time constraints
- Ability to keep detailed records
- Excellent attendance
- Strong customer focus
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with customers, clinicians & coworkers
- Basic computer keyboard skills & word processing of 20 wpm
- Ability to function according to established policies and procedures under the general supervision, and, as applicable, direct supervision of a pathologist
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language
Skills Testing: PC Skills & Typing 20WPM
*If it is determined that you need to complete testing to qualify for this position, you will receive an email inviting you to take the assessment(s) listed above. Passing test scores remain on file for one year.
This position supports Kaiser Permanente's code of conduct and compliance by adhering to all laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and internal policies and procedures. Kaiser Permanente is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Laboratory Careers
Our clinical laboratory scientists, phlebotomists, and lab techs work in both outpatient clinics and hospital settings and have an opportunity to gain exposure to different areas, including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, urinalysis, and the blood bank. We also operate reference laboratories, which serve as hubs for specimen processing and analysis as well as specialized testing — such as microbiology and molecular biology. Offering modern facilities, advanced equipment, and scheduling options, we provide a dynamic environment in which you'll continue to learn and grow.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.