The Front Line of Patient Care
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
LVN - PediatricsLocation: San Marcos, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 845654 Date posted: 01/09/2020
Under direct supervision of an RN or provider performs routine patient care, excluding administration of IV medications and venipuncture, following established policies, procedures and standards; follows Quality of Service Standards; follows Universal Precautions.
- May perform nursing care functions such as vital signs, removal and/or application of dressings for assessment by licensed provider.
- Cleaning or irrigating wound after provider's assessment and instructions, shaving and skin preparation, ear washes, NG insertion&lavage, urinary catheter insertion&irrigation.
- Reinforce standardized self care procedures as directed by licensed provider.
- Recognizes and responds to acute emergency situation following established procedures.
- Orients patients to system policies and practices.
- Provides appropriate instruction sheets based upon provider direction.
- Reviews instruction sheet with patient.
- Administers medications, excluding IV medications, as ordered by provider.
- Observes and documents patients' response to medications and therapy.
- May perform tuberculin, coccidioidin and histoplasmin skin tests, provides such tests are part of a tuberculosis control program.
- May perform immunizations provides they are based upon written protocols.
- Completes necessary arrangements or organizes treatment rooms prior to surgical and/or examination procedures by setting up or laying out instruments, drapes and sponges contained in sterile trays and assembling equipment items as required for particular procedures as directed.
- May assist licensed provider with patient examinations and treatments by positioning, restraining patients, and assisting as directed.
- Provides assistance in treatment rooms during minor surgical procedures and/or various diagnostic examinations by positioning and draping.
- May hold clamps or retractors, sponge vascular areas, and pass instruments as specifically directed by the physician.
- Assures safety of patient during procedures.
- May prepare and transport items such as medical equipment and laboratory specimens.
- May clean and disinfect instruments/equipment according to standardized procedures.
- Follows Universal Precautions. Reports incidents of failure to follow procedures to Department Administrator or designee.
- Maintains departmental files, performing duties such as pulling file and assembling forms prior to appointment, and filing returned diagnostic reports as directed.
- Initiates and/or completes diagnostic rest forms per provider order, telephones prescriptions to pharmacies, relays medical information from physician to patient, and relays information from patient to physician.
- Charts in patient's medical record as indicated.
- May perform lab tests including urine dip-tests, acetone tests, hemoccult tests, tests to determine. PH, protein, PKU.
- May perform hearing and vision tests, glaucoma tests and visual acuities.
- Collects, by non-invasive and invasive techniques, and preserves specimens for testing, including urine, and sputum and stool.
- Participates in Department Quality Assurance activities.
- Performs other duties, as required, such as checking patients' medical records for incomplete data and relaying message to staff personnel.
- Note: Specific duties may vary depending on assignment.
- Note: Bold print indicates the differences between an MAII&LVN.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Current CA LVN license and BLS certification.
- Ability to give and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with the public.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sterile technique.
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to customers, contracted providers, and vendors.
- This position requires employee to float to La Mesa, Otay Mesa and all of the North County Clinics to include Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, Oceanside, and Carlsbad.
- This position requires employee to work weekends and holidays.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
Through professional practice and leadership, nurses at Kaiser Permanente continually advance the art and science of nursing. But we recognize that what we do is more than clinical practice. We believe that every interaction — whether it is with a patient, a colleague, a physician, or anyone else — has the potential to be extraordinary. And we find that approaching our daily routine with this in mind gives each and every action new meaning and allows us to focus on the moment, empowering us to deliver expert care.
No matter where you are in your nursing career, the size and scope of our organization means you have the resources, technology, tools, and support you need to make a lasting impact.
Physician Assistant Careers
Physician assistants play a powerful and important role in delivering high-quality, informative care. Working directly with patients, their families, colleagues, and supervising physicians, they are vital in defining the overall care experience.
Being a physician assistant at Kaiser Permanente is centered on promoting a healing environment — one that maintains a caring, comforting practice while honoring the unity of the whole patient: mind, body, and spirit.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Apr 17, 2019
"I love my job"
- Positive Outlook
I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 2 years
I’ve waited to get in to Kaiser for so long and now that I’m in, I’d never let go. I love people that i work with (although just like any other jobs, it has it’s highs and lows), i love my patients, pay is great and benefits are awesome!! Definitely 1 of the highest paying hospitals in the region.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.