Pathologists' Assistant SH
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Obtains biological specimens for analysis; and, upon direction of the pathologist performs special procedures such as coronary artery perfusion studies, tumor triage, and faxitron (x-ray).
- Under the supervision of a pathologist, prepare human surgical specimens for gross description and dissection, including but not limited to: describes gross anatomic features, dissects surgical specimens and prepares tissue for histological examination. Assures appropriate specimen accessioning, obtains the clinical history and photographs all pertinent specimens and microscopic slides as directed by a pathologist(s). Obtains the patient medical chart and other pertinent data for review with the attending pathologist.
- Under the direction of a pathologist, performs postmortem examinations which may include: external examinations, in situ organ inspections, evisceration, dissection and dictation or recording of data such as organ weights, presence of body fluids and gross anatomic findings. Selects and prepares gross tissue section for frozen section analysis. Photographs body, organs, and other pertinent specimens. Gathers and organizes clinical information and data for completion of the autopsy report. Ascertains proper legal authorization for autopsy as directed by a pathologist(s).
- Notifies physician in charge, funeral home and all other authorities prior to beginning the dissections, coordinates special requests for specimen sampling (e.g., organ transplantation team, research, etc.) Releases the body to the correct mortuary following proper restoration and indicating any biohazards - such as contagious disease or radioactive implant that may be present.
- May perform duties relating to the administrative maintenance of surgical pathology protocols, reports/data including filing reports, protocols, photographic and microscopic slides and assures completion of coding.
- May supervise the work of laboratory techs and assistants. Confers with the pathologists to identify the special techniques and procedures that will be necessary (e.g., histochemical, immunoflurescense, toxicological, viral, or electron microscopic studies, cultures, smears, etc.) and notifies all personnel involved.
- Responsible for assuring proper maintenance of equipment, provides adequate supplies, and maintains cleanliness of the surgical pathology suite.
- Assists in the organization and coordination of anatomic pathology conferences.
- This position is for an oncall PA.