Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Patient Care Technician - Grade 279Location: Santa Clara, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 830976 Date posted: 11/06/2019
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, or designee, the Patient Care Technician assists the work of the Registered Nurse to meet the needs of patients in order to provide safe, quality care.
- Working as part of a team with the Registered Nurse, the Patient Care Technician participates in providing patient care, including:
- Implements progressive mobility guidelines (e.g. patients in chair for meals).
- Ambulating, turning and repositioning patients.
- Uses patient handling equipment in the tasks of lifting, transferring, repositioning and transporting patients.
- As needed, may also transport patients within the medical center and deliver and pick up specimens and prescriptions.
- Assisting with activities of daily living, including but not limited to: feeding, bathing, toileting, providing water, answering the phone, and oral care.
- Within the Patient Care Technician duties and responsibilities and dependant on the patient population, assists the Registered Nurse with patient monitoring, including but not limited to: obtaining, recording and reporting vital signs, weights, and measuring and recording inputs/outputs.
- May perform EKGs as required.
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager or designee, the Patient Care Technician may act as a sitter to ensure that patient safety needs are met.
- As a sitter, the Patient Care Technician will assist the registered nurse assigned to the patient in providing care including hygiene, nutrition, mobility, monitoring and engage the patient in diversional and therapeutic activities.
- In coordination with the Registered Nurse and other medical center staff, will maintain a clean and safe environment by providing a newly admitted patient with supplies (e.g. ICS/ Admission Kit), ensuring a clean and tidy bedside, and neat linens.
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Compliance Accountability: Consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (KP's code of conduct) by maintaining confidentiality, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable Federal and State laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and KP policies and procedures.
- Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical: Collects and researches data and uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, and develops alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Skills: Maintains confidentiality, treats co-workers, patients, and facility visitors with respect.
- Oral Communication: Listens and gets clarification to ensure that instructions and requests are fully understood.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively and reads and interprets written information.
- Teamwork: Contributes to building a positive team spirit and balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Six (6) months of experience, within the last three (3) years, in a hospital, clinic or in a SNF/Home Health setting as a nurse assistant, care partner, medical assistant or student nurse with one semester in a clinical setting.
- High School Diploma/ GED.
- BLS required.
- Current California State Nurse Assistant certification preferred.
- Experience requirement will be waived for Patient Mobility Techs who are transitioned into this classification in 2009.
- Patient Mobility Techs who require training must successfully complete an employer provided training program and will be given six months to meet the requirements of the position.
- A solid understanding of human anatomy, basic medical terminology, and rehabilitation principles is desired.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Discover the KP Difference
Visionary. Rewarding. Essential. These words describe the powerful work we do. Looking for more reasons to join our proud team? We've got ten compelling reasons right here!
Communication is vital to what we do every day. We value those who enhance our team with essential bilingual skills — allowing us to provide quality, inclusive care to everyone in our communities.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.