Support Starts With You
The backbone of our care team, you will greatly impact the work of our clinicians and physicians as well as improve our patients' experiences.
Sterile Processing Technician I - Grade 310Location: Santa Rosa, CA Job Number: 914391 Date posted: 11/24/2020
View Disability Accomodations
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
- Adherence to hand washing requirements, work flow patterns, standard precautions, sterility assurance, biological monitoring, dress code
- Validates and maintains: event related protocols, disinfection and/or sterilization load parameters and records, inventory check sheet(s), and equipment monitoring
- Meets regulatory requirements for sterilization, high-level disinfection, biological monitoring, and employee competencies
- Accurately document daily records of all QA and sterilization functions according to regulatory agency and Infection Control standards
- Adheres to Organizational and Departmental policies and procedures
- Participates in New Employee Orientation (NEO), department employee orientation (DEO), meetings, in-services and training, and employee evaluation and competency programs
- Prepares for Sterile Processing Technician Certification
- Wears personal protective equipment
- Inspects, disassembles sorts, cleans, and processes reusable instrumentation and equipment. Selects and operates specialized cleaning equipment
- Follows manufacturer recommendations for proper use of cleaning agents
- Follows device manufactures cleaning guidelines
- Maintains adequate cleaning supplies as designated reprocesses endoscopes
- Identifies, inspects, and assembles, all general and specialty instruments, various power equipment, laser and endoscopes instruments per specifications and manufacturer recommendations
- According to manufacturer guidelines, selects and prepares packaging materials for the sterilization of reusable instrumentation
- Selects appropriate method of sterilization
- Maintains accurate sterilization records
- Properly loads and unloads sterilization cart items
- Verifies that sterilization parameters meet before distribution of load
- Collect, clean, check, distributes, and track patient care equipment
- As designated, order patient care equipment, inventory assigned supply areas for replenishment, rotates supplies, and stocks general and surgical carts
- Report malfunctioning equipment to appropriate department
- Demonstrates awareness of personal and work area safety at all times
- Complies with facility safety policies and procedures, including those for blood borne pathogens and communicable diseases
- Takes prompt corrective actions when hazard identified (reporting or removing, as appropriate)
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills
- Actively supports and contributes teamwork in the workplace
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for own professional work ethics
- Demonstrates responsibility in adhering to posted work schedules
- Performs other duties as assigned
- No supervisory responsibilities
- Minimum six (6) months of Sterile Processing experience preferred
- Completion of Sterile Processing Training course with 200 hours internship/SPD experience preferred
- High School Diploma/GED
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology to understand instrumentation, surgical procedures, and surgical schedule preferred
- Knowledge with all various types of reusable surgical instrumentation, including power equipment and micro surgical instrumentation preferred
- Knowledge of Sterile Processing departmental equipment (i.e., washers, ultrasonic, steam, gas, and chemical sterilizers) preferred
- Knowledge of cleaning patient care equipment (i.e., IV. pumps, feeding pumps, pneumatic pumps, CPM machines, PCA, and hypo/hyperthermia units, etc.) preferred
- Knowledge of sterilization monitoring, record keeping, and quality assurance programs preferred
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos
- Ability to write simple correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization
- Provided that no qualified candidates apply, will consider training candidates with related medical background
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment
- Also, refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Learn About Clinical Support Careers
Clinical Support Careers
Supporting members and patients as vital members of our care delivery team, our patient care services professionals include our medical assistants, sterile processing technicians, surgical technicians, nursing assistants, and so much more.
There is a deep breadth of clinical support career options that allow medical professionals to deliver quality health care to our patients. These roles are critical, instrumental, and unique, with a variety of career settings (inpatient, outpatient, home care) and departments. Opportunities to develop oneself, grow professionally, and transfer to new roles/locations make these roles especially rewarding.
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing you!
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Sign up to receive information about opportunities that relate to your interests.