Licensed Vocational Nurse
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Provides nursing care, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician, in accordance with the legal scope of practice and within established standards of care, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates performance consistent with the Medical Center Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan of the organization. Remains flexible to changing systems; is expected to demonstrate quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice; and treats co-workers, patients, families, and all members of the health care team with dignity and respect.
- The Licensed Vocational Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors:
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente’s Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude.
- Identifies and supports new ideas.
- Utilizes effective communication strategies, including chain of command and issue escalation, which result in intended outcomes.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution.
- Mentors and orients others in skill and behavioral learning.
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve with other departments in order to assist member problem resolution.
- Prioritizes and delegates work assignments appropriately to ensure completion of patient care activities.
- Complies with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice.
- Nursing Process
- Performs patient care activities, within the scope of practice, considering age-related needs of the patient as assigned.
- Reports unusual findings to the Registered Nurse and contributes recommendations for revision to the plan of care.
- Adheres to hospital standards, which customize care for age-related needs of the population served.
- Keeps health care team members’ informed regarding patient’s responses to interventions.
- Collaborates with registered Nurse to develop individualized plan of care that reflects clinical findings, planning, implementing, and evaluating the outcomes of that plan.
- Monitors patients’ progress based on the plan.
- Assures care meets standards of practice.
- Collaborates with Registered Nurse to assure completion of the discharge plan including discharge barriers and patient/family education.
- Charting is legible, dated, and timed.
- Documentation reflects thorough data collection within the scope of practice, incorporates physical and psychosocial findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, discharge barriers, multi-disciplinary education plans, and age appropriate care from admission through discharge.
- Documentation reflects that the individualized teaching plan is followed; appropriate Multidisciplinary Patient Education Plans are implemented within the scope of practice.
- Clinical Outcomes
- Applies standard precautions; maintains a safe environment for self and others.
- Discusses patient findings and progress toward outcomes with Registered Nurse, physicians, and other members of the health care team.
- Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and ongoing by completion of departmental competency validation.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement activities, i.e., planning, and measuring/monitoring, assessing and improving.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently.
- Customer Service
- Practices customer service standards as defined by the Service Area, Medical Center, and specified department.
- Anticipates the customer’s desires, takes proactive steps to meet those needs, by listening and taking responsibility within scope to ensure issues are resolved.
- Assists members who are less than satisfied with their experience by listening and taking responsibility within their scope to ensure that the issue is resolved.
- Promptly answers call lights, alarms, and patient requests.
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, gives patients and their significant others the information needed within their scope of practice.
- Makes appropriate referrals under the direction of the Registered Nurse and facilitates the customer’s ability to utilize resources.
- Maintains and protects patient confidentiality.
- Assures a clean, orderly, and functional work environment.
- Team Commitment
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Takes accountability for own actions and accepts constructive criticism.
- Acts as a resource, preceptor, and mentor to new employees, registry, students, and other team members.
- Attends all mandatory meetings and in services, a minimum of 50% of staff meetings, and actively participates in other departmental professional development. (Requirement may vary for per diem staff).
- Participates with the assessment of current and future unit learning needs and development of an annual education plan.
- Keeps self-informed of activities on the unit and makes recommendations for change.
- Adheres to Attendance Policy. Reports to assigned area promptly, being present and available for report at beginning of assigned shift.
- Minimizes personal phone call time.
- Supports a collaborative labor-management partnership environment.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Organizes work to minimize the use of overtime.
- Identifies and assists in systems improvement that need simplification or correction.
- Utilizes payroll and non-payroll resources to their maximum potential.
- Collaborates with physician and/or Registered Nurse to develop individualized plan of care that reflects clinical findings, planning, implementing, and evaluating the outcomes of tCollaborates with physician and/or Registered Nurse to assure patient/family education.
- Documentation reflects thorough data collection and care provided.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently.
- Complies with Patient Safety Standards.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Minimum of six (6) months acute care and/or related outpatient experience within past four years.
- Per the National Agreement, current KP Coalition employees have this experience requirement waived.
- Minimum one (1) year acute care experience, within past four years, in a Home Health/Hospice Department.
Minimum six months acute care and/or related outpatient experience within past four years.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Vocational Nurse License (California)
- Basic Life Support
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an appropriate program or course is available and successfully completed for New Graduate LVNs or for area of specialization
- Additional certification maybe required based upon department needs within six (6) months of hire (PALS, ACLS, NALS).
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.