Optometry Assistant Certified-WA
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
To assist and support doctors of optometry in a collaborative relationship to provide patients with optimum levels of general optometric care. Under the direct supervision of the doctor, will provide technical and support assistance to improve the efficacy and efficiency of the doctors of optometry.
- Accurately record patient's medical and visual history, review and prepare other clinical information (PST, Medicare refresh, etc.) for doctor(s). Take and record patient vitals when indicated in EMR. Perform appropriate pre-testing, such as but not limited to assessing gross visual skills, extraocular muscle action and pupillary reflexes. Perform OCT, Visual Fields and Diabetic Photos. Maintain accurate records and reports as instructed by the doctor. Instill eye-drops when ordered by the doctor. Assist in therapeutic procedures such as foreign body removal.
- Receive and process phone calls and other patient communication, from patients, assess the nature of the situation and manage triage accordingly. Manage all aspects of doctor(s) schedule, including booking appointments.
- Maintain diagnostic and therapeutic instruments and equipment to insure that they are clean and accurate. Assess condition of instruments and arrange for repair and/or recalibration as necessary. Maintain instruments and medications for ophthalmic therapeutics; insure that instruments and medications are available and sterile.
- Respond to patient concerns and resolve or forward them to the proper person or area for resolution.
- Coordinate patient optometric care with optical dispensing, membership services, family practice, ophthalmology, pharmacy and other KP departments and services.
- Follow all KP policies, procedures, and behavior guidelines and standards for the treatment of members and confidentiality of their care. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years of previous experience in optometric or other ophthalmic practice.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Paraoptometric Assistant or Technician certification by the American Optometric Association at time of hire or within 18 months of employment.
- WA Medical Assistant Registered within 60 days of hire.
- Demonstrated experience and competence with ophthalmic instruments, including: auto-refractor, auto-lensometer, non-contact tonometer, Titmus vision tester, Snellen chart, visual acuity projector, and visual field testing equipment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of instruments and equipment for preliminary testing, ancillary testing and in the application of eye-drops.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to function effectively in a professional environment within a managed practice organization. Familiarity with optometric and optical terminology.
- Familiarity with optometric instruments and equipment.
- Three (3) years of previous experience in optometric or other ophthalmic practice.
- Basic knowledge of Kaiser Permanente policies, procedures and philosophy and culture.
- Thorough knowledge of basic science and optics, familiarity with optometric and/or ophthalmic procedures related to preliminary testing.
- Basic knowledge of instillation of optometric diagnostic and therapeutic pharmaceuticals as applied to the practice of optometry.
- Working knowledge of HealthConnect.
Cascade Park Medical Offices, 12607 SE Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver,Washington, 98684
Central Interstate Medical Offices, 3600 N. Interstate Ave., Portland,Oregon, 97227
North Lancaster Medical Offices, 2400 NE Lancaster Dr., Salem,Oregon, 97305
Rockwood Medical Offices, 19500 SE Stark St., Portland,Oregon, 97233
Skyline Medical Offices, 5125 S. Skyline Rd., Salem,Oregon, 97306
Sunset Medical Offices, 10060 NE Evergreen Pkwy., Hillsboro,Oregon, 97124
Longview/Kelso Medical/Dental Offices, 1230 Seventh Ave., Longview,Washington, 98632
Orchards Medical Offices, 7101 NE 137th Ave., Vancouver,Washington, 98682
Beaverton Medical/Dental Offices 4855 SW Western A, 4855 SW Western Ave., Beaverton,Oregon, 97005 Scheduled Weekly Hours: 1 Shift: Variable Working Hours Start: Varies Working Hours End: Varies Job Schedule: Call-in/On-Call Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: W02|AFT|Local 5017 Job Level: Individual Contributor Department: Optometry Travel: Yes, 100 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.