Sterile Processing Technician II - MMMC
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Under indirect supervision, assists in distribution of sterile and contaminated supplies to nursing inpatient and clinic departments; inventories and stocks supply carts; fills requisitions as required; washes, decontaminates, checks, assembles, wraps, sterilizes, stores, and issues trays, instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Segregates all used instruments, equipment apparatus, and other articles returned to CSD according to decontamination method; loads appropriate items in washer; washes other items in sonic cleaner or manually, using approved detergent; wipes dry; washes appropriate items in cart-washer; changes graph paper of processing equipment.
- Assembles instruments; sets-up variety of general and special trays; wraps and seals items in wrappers according to established procedures in preparation for sterilization.
- Runs sterilizer test packs according to policy; incubates and interprets biological indicator; notifies supervisor immediately of any abnormal results.
- Performs sterilization procedures in accordance with sterilization standards and departmental policies and procedures; practices universal precautions and infection control procedures; ensures safe sterilization; detects any malfunction of equipment; checks equipment indicators before, during and after each load to ensure proper equipment settings; applies load identification label to each package after sterilization process complete; shelves appropriately.
- Adheres to all aspects of sterility control, universal precautions and infection control practices; participates in departmental meetings, inservice programs and quality assurance activities to keep abreast of current trends; researches methods and processes to maximize effectiveness and reduce wastage of resources; recognizes own learning needs and seeks knowledge to increase skills and abilities.
- Receives and prepares items requiring gas sterilization; ensures proper packaging; arranges for transport and return of items to outside facility; ensures all return items have been sterilized; verifies all items sent out are returned; ensures provision of manufacturer documentation for gas sterilization by requesting department.
- Reviews and maintains sterilizer load indicators; files reports; completes log; recalls positive biological products from user departments.
- Inspects color of tapes on newly autoclaved items and on stored sterile packs on all supply shelves; sends outdated supplies for reprocessing or replacement; restocks shelf items as needed.
- Cleans and performs minor daily maintenance of equipment; reassembles and tests equipment after decontamination; reports equipment failures or errors immediately to maintenance and notifies supervisor/lead; prepares repair requisition for equipment or other items returned due to malfunction.
- Checks, organizes, and restocks supplies on shelves; pulls outdated articles; receives and checks quantities of supplies from warehouse.
- Takes and fills orders for supplies; refers to appropriate person as needed; prepares, checks and organizes requisitions and supply cart issue forms; ensures accurate charges to facilitate data entry; inventories and restocks departmental supply carts and specialty carts; records issues for each cart restocked; completes required records; assists in obtaining supplies/equipment from other facilities when necessary; uses supplies with close attention to cost containment and reduction of costs; assists in evaluating new supplies.
- Maintains daily inventory of all equipment; inputs inventory data in computer as assigned; files completed requisitions and forms; updates replenishment area profiles as necessary; enters counts; prints and issues picklists; participates in cyclical and annual inventory procedures; removes all questionable and outdated supplies from supply areas; inspects sterility of supplies and makes arrangements for re-sterilization or reordering as needed; rotates stock as necessary; assists with ordering and receiving departmental stock and non-stock items.
- Cleans and maintains neat and orderly work areas according to department standards; wipes and straightens shelves, tables and equipment; wipes shelves, carts and drawers, while restocking.
- Obtains and issues prices for CSD items to be sold in pharmacy.
- Folds linens; assembles linen packs to sterilize for surgery and various hospital and clinic units.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in sterile processing and inventory control.
- Uses effective communication skills to collaborate with other team members and interact with other departments; accepts and gives constructive feedback.
- Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care and/or service.
- Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
- Three (3) months central services instrument processing, or related experience.
- High School Diploma; or equivalent combination of education (lesser) & experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in customer service, oral communication, teamwork and written communication.
- Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
- Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
- Training/giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g., organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness.
- Knowledge of principles of sterilization and hospital related equipment.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest