Clinical PsychologistWaipahu, HI
Mental health is an essential component of total health. As mental health professionals, we’re on the front lines every day, using the latest advances to help those in need. If you share our passion for care and our commitment to helping those around us, you’ll have the resources you need to make a real difference. Our services include adult and child therapy as well as help with addiction and eating disorders.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
These are the traits of the most successful members of our behavioral health team.
- Good listener
- Results driven
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision, & Dental
Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Leave
Supportive Teams & Resources
NOTE: Benefits may vary based on your Kaiser Permanente region, position, scheduled hours, and representation by collective bargaining or employee groups. *Offerings vary by location.
We offer a mental health environment that's unique both in the way we treat our patients and in the way we support our health care professionals. Here, we practice evidence-based care in a team setting that’s focused on the needs of the individual, the family and the population as a whole. This gives your patients the opportunity to work towards achieving their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. On our teams, we hold social justice as a shared value and are committed to addressing and eliminating stigma associated with mental health and addiction. Working as part of a team also helps support your own career growth while you provide high-quality strengths-based, brief, solution-focused, and episodic mental health care.
What Our Employees Say
Psychiatric Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente has been an excellent platform for me to grow as a professional. The organization has demonstrated its commitment to the continued growth of its employees through the training it offers and encourages. I’ve always resonated with the organization’s integrated approach to health care, and its recognition of how essential good mental health is to a person’s overall well-being.”
Licensed Certified Social Worker
“I would recommend and do recommend working for Kaiser Permanente. It’s a professional, clean, friendly, fast-paced environment and there is a real trust and respect for clinical staff no matter what role we serve. I love feeling valued and heard and am thankful to have found an environment that provides that.”
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
“This is the best place to work because of the commitment to the total health of our members, the work/life balance, the possibilities to use clinical skills in a variety of capacities within the organization and opportunities for personal and professional growth. As employees of Kaiser Permanente, we all have a voice and are encouraged to use it.”
Clinical Program Manager
“At Kaiser Permanente, I have opportunities to learn and work in a professional setting with people who are passionate about patient care. I love my career as a therapist and now as a manager! I really enjoy helping others and learning new interventions and modalities. These ensure my personal and professional growth.”
“Kaiser Permanente is a health care leader who sets trends and makes a difference in industry practices and protocols. I like the extraordinary resources available to do my job, the servant leadership of my manager and director, and the high standard of business and clinical ethics.”
PsyD, Clinical Psychologist
“We’re an innovative, vision-forward company. While Integrative-Care models are relatively new, we’ve been on the frontlines of building out a high-functioning integrated team for over a decade. Within this model of care, we’re pushed to think out of the box when it comes to patient care, be collaborative, and succeed in a fast-paced environment.”
PhD, Licensed Certified Social Worker – Clinical
“Kaiser Permanente demonstrates its commitment to their employees’, has a top-notch salary and compensation package, and has a leadership body that is well trained and supportive. As a Clinician and a Manager, I am very impressed with our commitment to quality outcomes. I have truly found a home here and would be honored for Kaiser Permanente to be my last professional stop in my career.”
PsyD, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Psych Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente, in my opinion, is a great mix of professional, friendly and fast-paced. They allow me to be who I am and let me have a voice. I love being a therapist and I’m very proud and excited about the Gender Assessments and transgender group work being conducted. I’m helping the LGBT community and making this population feel comfortable throughout their care journey. Kaiser Permanente is a breath of fresh air to me in my work.”
“I appreciate how Kaiser Permanente strives to reflect inclusivity and representation throughout the organization. I’m excited about an internal clinic comprised of African American clinicians dedicated to supporting the health needs of the African diaspora. I’m proud to be part of committees that intentionally promote equity, inclusion and diversity. These things combined with the benefits, opportunities and people make Kaiser Permanente a great place to work.”
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Provides variety of ambulatory behavioral health services including evaluation, diagnosis, treatment planning, case management and psychotherapeutic intervention to individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs.
- Interviews member and evaluates their psychological and mental status. Utilizes the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to diagnose patients. Determines if member is in crisis, at-risk, or suicidal/homicidal. Refers members in need of immediate or urgent care to appropriate level of services.
- Provides psychotherapy and counseling for individuals, families, groups and/or Intensive Outpatient Programs. Utilizes a wide range of latest evidence based interventions and modalities. Provides services such as crisis intervention, brief therapy, cognitive and behavioral therapies, skills training, supportive therapy, stress management, and family therapy.
- Assesses urgent or high-risk clinical situations and makes appropriate interventions. Coordinates referral of patient to psychiatrist or other clinician. Assists with admission to hospital or other specialized facilities. Plans and provides services in the appropriate level of care. Assesses needs for mental health treatment and makes appropriate referrals as needed.
- Plans, develops, implements, and leads therapeutic and educational groups to address needs of patient. Evaluates outcomes and effects of treatment for patients and programs.
- Researches, collects and records data and information relating to diagnosis. Formulates evidence based treatment interventions and approaches for identified diagnosis. Assists in establishing clinical best practices and guidelines for delivery of service.
- Assists and empowers patients to participate in their treatment plan. Engages patients in therapeutic relationship. Educates patients regarding mental health services. Makes recommendations and referrals for patients to obtain information, support, services and assistance they may need from Kaiser or community resources related to their behavioral health needs.
- Collaborates and consults with physicians and other interdisciplinary clinical team members to support assessments and decision making. Reviews difficult cases or quality assurance concern with clinical team. Acts as consultant to team members and others in organization.
- Acts as liaison between behavioral health services and primary care, emergency department and other outpatient clinics.
- Maintains high level of clinical expertise. Is knowledgeable of current clinical conditions, methods, medications, theoretical frameworks and interventions. Utilizes best practices in delivery of behavioral health services in accordance with professional and clinical guidelines established by professional bodies. Understands rationale and theory for interventions. Utilizes evidence based interventions and modalities with sound theoretical base, which are clinically feasible and have demonstrated clinical effectiveness.
- Maintaining clinical records by documenting clinical assessments, treatment plans, interventions and all pertinent information in patient medical record according to Regional and departmental guidelines.
- Provides and arranges for psychological testing for Integrated Behavioral Health Services when appropriate. Develops and conducts specialized treatment programs and services.
- Participates in clinical team meetings, departmental planning and quality management activities.
- Supervises and mentors residents and intern students as assigned.
- Assesses patients in Emergency Departments on after hours and as needed basis in service areas where Kaiser Permanente has privileges to provide mental health assessments and crisis intervention.
- Other clinical duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree in Psychology from an American Psychological Association (APA) approved program in clinical psychology or from an accredited institution with the graduate level training leading to the doctoral degree meeting the requirements of Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) 16-98-9.
- Psychologist License (Hawaii)
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Basic Life Support required at hire from American Heart Association
- Experience in providing evidence based treatment including conducting individual and group therapy, intensive outpatient treatment, and/or partial hospitalization programs for children, and/or adults, including people with serious/chronic mental illness
- Experience in writing treatment plans.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting assessments and diagnostic evaluations using the latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
- Familiar with frequently used psychiatric medications.
- Familiarity with statistical/analytical methods of instruments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change management, conflict resolution, decision making, group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, quality management, teamwork, and written communication.
- Taxonomy code required at time of hire.
- Note: This position requires successful completion of credentialing process upon hire.
- Experience with documentation according to national accreditation guidelines.
- Experience in providing behavioral health services in a primary care setting is highly desirable.
- Experience in providing services to patients with addictions issues.
- Experience in providing consultation/liaison services to emergency departments.
More From Kaiser Permanente
Careers in Mental Health
Join a team that helps empower our members to achieve all of their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. Learn more about our culture, programs, and opportunities.
Mental Health Training Programs
Comprehensive programs where more than 200 mental health trainees can work and learn in communities across Northern California.
Mental Health at Kaiser Permanente
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.