Employee Assistance Program Consultant III - Walnut CreekWalnut Creek, California
Mental health is an essential component of total health. As mental health professionals, we’re on the front lines every day, using the latest advances to help those in need. If you share our passion for care and our commitment to helping those around us, you’ll have the resources you need to make a real difference. Our services include adult and child therapy as well as help with addiction and eating disorders.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
These are the traits of the most successful members of our behavioral health team.
- Good listener
- Results driven
Our compensation and benefits are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and thrive in and beyond work.
Medical, Vision, & Dental
Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Leave
Supportive Teams & Resources
NOTE: Benefits may vary based on your Kaiser Permanente region, position, scheduled hours, and representation by collective bargaining or employee groups. *Offerings vary by location.
We offer a mental health environment that's unique both in the way we treat our patients and in the way we support our health care professionals. Here, we practice evidence-based care in a team setting that’s focused on the needs of the individual, the family and the population as a whole. This gives your patients the opportunity to work towards achieving their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. On our teams, we hold social justice as a shared value and are committed to addressing and eliminating stigma associated with mental health and addiction. Working as part of a team also helps support your own career growth while you provide high-quality strengths-based, brief, solution-focused, and episodic mental health care.
What Our Employees Say
Psychiatric Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente has been an excellent platform for me to grow as a professional. The organization has demonstrated its commitment to the continued growth of its employees through the training it offers and encourages. I’ve always resonated with the organization’s integrated approach to health care, and its recognition of how essential good mental health is to a person’s overall well-being.”
Licensed Certified Social Worker
“I would recommend and do recommend working for Kaiser Permanente. It’s a professional, clean, friendly, fast-paced environment and there is a real trust and respect for clinical staff no matter what role we serve. I love feeling valued and heard and am thankful to have found an environment that provides that.”
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
“This is the best place to work because of the commitment to the total health of our members, the work/life balance, the possibilities to use clinical skills in a variety of capacities within the organization and opportunities for personal and professional growth. As employees of Kaiser Permanente, we all have a voice and are encouraged to use it.”
Clinical Program Manager
“At Kaiser Permanente, I have opportunities to learn and work in a professional setting with people who are passionate about patient care. I love my career as a therapist and now as a manager! I really enjoy helping others and learning new interventions and modalities. These ensure my personal and professional growth.”
“Kaiser Permanente is a health care leader who sets trends and makes a difference in industry practices and protocols. I like the extraordinary resources available to do my job, the servant leadership of my manager and director, and the high standard of business and clinical ethics.”
PsyD, Clinical Psychologist
“We’re an innovative, vision-forward company. While Integrative-Care models are relatively new, we’ve been on the frontlines of building out a high-functioning integrated team for over a decade. Within this model of care, we’re pushed to think out of the box when it comes to patient care, be collaborative, and succeed in a fast-paced environment.”
PhD, Licensed Certified Social Worker – Clinical
“Kaiser Permanente demonstrates its commitment to their employees’, has a top-notch salary and compensation package, and has a leadership body that is well trained and supportive. As a Clinician and a Manager, I am very impressed with our commitment to quality outcomes. I have truly found a home here and would be honored for Kaiser Permanente to be my last professional stop in my career.”
PsyD, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Psych Social Worker
“Kaiser Permanente, in my opinion, is a great mix of professional, friendly and fast-paced. They allow me to be who I am and let me have a voice. I love being a therapist and I’m very proud and excited about the Gender Assessments and transgender group work being conducted. I’m helping the LGBT community and making this population feel comfortable throughout their care journey. Kaiser Permanente is a breath of fresh air to me in my work.”
“I appreciate how Kaiser Permanente strives to reflect inclusivity and representation throughout the organization. I’m excited about an internal clinic comprised of African American clinicians dedicated to supporting the health needs of the African diaspora. I’m proud to be part of committees that intentionally promote equity, inclusion and diversity. These things combined with the benefits, opportunities and people make Kaiser Permanente a great place to work.”
Employee Assistance Program Consultant III - Walnut Creek
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Assumes major responsibility for the daily operations of the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) in a particular facility or geographic grouping of facilities, providing service to physicians, employees, and family members. Coordinates the development, delivery, allocation and maintenance of services in regards to assessment and short-term problem solving and referral, committee and workgroup participation, training, organizational initiative support, organizational change support, threat management, critical incident response, and consultation to managers, supervisors, human resource representatives and union representatives.
- Under limited clinical direction and consultative support from management, performs the following: 1) Behavioral health assessment and referral; 2) Short-term problem solving; 3)Consultation and training to managers, supervisors, human resource representatives and union representatives; 4) At the managers discretion, will provide clinical lead support to less experienced staff, providing consultative oversight (e.g., behavioral health assessment, organizational risk management issues and concerns, etc.); 5) Crisis intervention and critical incident stress management in response to employee deaths, adverse outcomes in the healthcare setting and any other event that has the potential to traumatize KP employee(s) and/or diminish their ability to do their job; 6) Serves as a core member on their local Threat Management Team (TMT); 7) Management of projects based on departmental and organizational needs; and 8) Responsibility for daily operations of Kaiser Permanentes internal EAP at the local facility.
- Provide behavioral health consultation to help solve higher-risk and complex/diverse issues. Provide consultation to key stakeholders re: group and organizational intakes. Allows employee/mgr. to effectively address personal and/or work related problems impacting work performance. Helps mitigate organizational liability by helping manage behavioral risk issues. Serves as behavioral health resource to employees and their families, reducing caseload volume of KPs mental health depts.
- Manages client and customer scheduling, requiring complex planning to coordinate with other departments or resources. Interprets less defined guidelines to make recommendations for process improvements and/or enhancements. Works on assignments of diverse and complex scope.
- Uses practice management strategies to optimize time and balance workload. Makes appropriate decisions regarding prioritizing the needs of the business, organizational workflow and managing organizational trends and demands. Exercises considerable judgment to make decisions for less defined and complex issues. Involves interpreting and analyzing established concepts and trends. May require complex decision-making.
- Assesses all new cases and requests for services; determines course of action or seeks consultative support for highly complex and diverse cases/issues. Serves as a resource and/or mentor for less experienced coordinators. Provides project support at the discretion of the mgr or director. Collects and analyzes data to make informed recommendations/decisions which affect the department. Requires in-depth analysis to identify and recommend new solutions for more complex problems. Develops solutions to a diverse range of complex problems, which require creativity and innovation within broadly defined policies and practices.
- Asks direct questions, listening actively and carefully to responses, restating to clarify understanding. Tailors and adapts communication style and content to the client. Communicates observations and sensitive issues in a manner and time-frame that is useful and appropriate. Influences others to adopt new concepts and methodologies. Engages in matters requiring coordination across functional lines. Provides professional/technical guidance to team members.
- Seeks professional consultation and uses Director, Managers and colleagues as internal consultants. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignment. Work is accomplished without considerable direction, and is evaluated upon completion to ensure objectives and performance requirements have been met.
- Provides on-going coaching, enabling team members to develop and improve skills and capabilities that support the effectiveness of the department and/or function. Serves as a technical/professional mentor to team members. Provides project leadership on departmental work, although has no formal supervisory or management responsibilities.
- Minimum five (5) years as a licensed clinician, with a minimum of two (2) years of clinical experience, to include chemical dependency work, crisis intervention, traumatic stress intervention and short-term problem solving required.
- Masters degree in social work, psychology, or related clinical human services discipline required.
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist (in location where applicable) OR Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (in location where applicable) OR Licensed Clinical Social Worker (in location where applicable)
- Program experience must include training design and implementation, organization consultation.
- Familiarity with management information systems and human resource functions.
- Thorough knowledge of policies, practices and systems.
- Regularly contributes to the development of new concepts, techniques, and standards.
- Considered functional expert in field within KP.
- Frequently contributes to the development of new theories and methods.
- Employs expertise as a generalist or specialist.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, & Power Point.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Experience providing management consultations preferred.
- Experience providing training preferred.
- Healthcare service background preferred.
- Program development and project management experience preferred.
- CEAP or CEAP eligible preferred.
- Ph.D in social work, psychology, or related clinical human services discipline preferred.
- Position covers the Walnut Creek Med Center and the associated MOBs in the DSA.
More From Kaiser Permanente
Careers in Mental Health
Join a team that helps empower our members to achieve all of their physical, mental, and behavioral health goals. Learn more about our culture, programs, and opportunities.
Mental Health Training Programs
Comprehensive programs where more than 200 mental health trainees can work and learn in communities across Northern California.
Mental Health at Kaiser Permanente
Don’t be shy. Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.