Charge RN - Hospital Y1Woodland Hills, California
At Kaiser Permanente our nurses are leaders, clinicians, researchers, innovators, and scientists who are contributing toward being an industry-leading voice for advancing evidence-based care. Whether supporting the patient directly in our hospitals or clinics, providing care at home, serving our patients through innovative virtual technology, or managing care delivery teams, Kaiser Permanente nurses utilize scientific evidence and our integrated care model to optimize the total health of our members and the communities we serve. We invite nurses who are passionate about nursing excellence, high-quality compassionate care delivery, professionalism, integrity, teamwork and patient and family centeredness to join our teams so that we can continue to sustain and build upon our culture of excellence.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Level: Individual Contributor
- Travel: No
We’re looking for Nurse Leaders who possess the following traits.
- Socially Conscientious
We offer several benefits to our nurses.
Medical, Vision & Dental
Educational Opportunities & Tuition Reimbursement
Supportive Teams & Resources
Career Growth & Development
At Kaiser Permanente, we cultivate an environment of compassion, integrity, trust, and open communication that helps our teams do their best work. We believe that lifelong learning will expand our knowledge so we can better serve our patients. Our practice is rooted in research and evidence-based care. Our nurses reflect the rich diversity of our members and communities and provide culturally responsive and competent care that promotes understanding of our members needs and preferences. At Kaiser Permanente, nurses are highly skilled professionals who exemplify leadership, critical thinking, and collaborative problem solving and deliver the right care, at the right time, in the right setting.
What Our People Are Saying
Relief Charge Nurse
“Working as a nurse at Kaiser Permanente has allowed me the perfect flexible schedule so that I can volunteer as Girl Scout Leader and room parent for both my children. My kids know that I am a hardworking mother who can provide, as well as a mom who can be present and be there for them – and that means everything to me.”
RN, Advice Nurse
“Working for Kaiser Permanente has allowed me to take control of my future and make my goals a possibility. I feel that Kaiser Permanente allows me to keep climbing and moving. Having that ability truly makes me feel empowered.”
Registered Nurse IV
“Kaiser Permanente has taken me on a personal and educational growth journey. I am supported by a culture of excellence that allows me to be dedicated to patients and patients’ families every day at work. What an honor to be part of Kaiser Permanente.”.
Inpatient Lactation Consultant
“As an RN/IBCLC in Maternal Child, I’m meeting families at a pivotal time — I’m there to help launch a new family into the world. Everything I do has the potential to impact a family’s health for generations to come.”
Quality Coordinator RN
“In Hawaii, your community is your family — or ‘ohana.’ I am able to provide extraordinary patient-centered care to my ohana.”
Appointment and Advice RN
“The location is fantastic. Kaiser Permanente is all over the country. You can pick almost any environment you want – from ocean to mountain to city. You’ll still be able to contribute to our mission of providing high quality health care at a local facility.”
“I chose Kaiser Permanente because their staff and providers really show that they care about you. Also, throughout my 12 years of working here I’m always learning something new, and I’ve had many opportunities for growth and development.”
Charge RN - Hospital Y1
Navigating the Hiring Process
We're here to support you!
Having trouble with your account or have questions on the hiring process?
Please visit the FAQ page on our website for assistance.
Need help with your computer and browser settings?
Do you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability?
A reasonable accommodation is any modification or adjustment that enables you to fully participate in completing the following:
- Online Submissions
- Pre-Hire Assessments
- Interview Process
Please submit your accommodation request and an HR Representative will contact you.
Functions as a Lead of the healthcare team, coordinates departmental operations that ensure quality patient care in a safe, healing environment that is patient and family centered. Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional practice. Has appropriate clinical skills to be an expert resource. Is available and supportive to employees and understands priorities/needs of the department. Is a staff role model for professional nursing practice. May recommend to management in efficient resource allocation by assuring appropriate patient assignments, staffing, and scheduling. Demonstrates performance consistent with the strategic plan of the organization and the KP nursing mission and values.
The Charge Registered Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors:
- Directs reviews, assigns and organizes the work of at least three (3) or more employees, of which at least one (1) must be another Registered Nurse.
- Applies the KP Nursing mission, vision, values and behaviors in daily practice. Understands needs and sets priorities for the department.
- Provides professional leadership and direction of department personnel in order to maintain efficient delivery of effective patient care.
- Coordinates departmental operations and delegates tasks appropriately. Is an excellent staff role model for professional nursing practice (e.g. RN/MD Collaborating for Outcomes, Just Culture, Quality, Service, Safety). Supports and enhances the leadership skills of the staff RNs, LVNs and UAs/CNAs (and other ancillary staff as appropriate).
- Upholds compliance with Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibilities, applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and accreditation and licensure requirements.
- Upholds the standards of the California Nurse Practice Act, American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards of Nursing Practice, and ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Champions new ideas; Actively collaborates with others through the change process.
- Acts as a resource, preceptor and mentor to new employees, registry, students, and other team members in department specific operations and patient care activities.
- Collaborates with or refers to manager/clinical nurse specialist/educator any outstanding issues or concerns on the unit. Demonstrates ability to identify and resolve problems in collaboration with work team and with other departments.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice.
- Participates in activities related to patient flow, including admission and discharge rocesses. Facilitates inter-professional/interdisciplinary communication and collaboration.
- Serves as a resource for clinical concerns, scope of practice and applicable state and federal regulations as well as operational concerns of providers and staff. Possesses experience and skills to be a resource for providers, RNs, LVNs, USs/CNAs, (and other ancillary staff as appropriate).
- Demonstrates flexibility in work schedule to meet the department demands of the day; facilitates and relieves staff breaks.
- Actively involved in assigning, orienting, and precepting and coaching staff as needed.
- Conducts audits and ensures that documentation reflects thorough assessments, incorporates physical and psychosocial findings, diagnostic tests, learning needs, barriers, multidisciplinary education plans and age appropriate care.
- Participates/leads various aspects of department operations, staff competencies, department committees, Unit Based Teams (UBTs), new projects, quality efforts, and educational programs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of patients specific conditions commonly seen in the department and care required. Interfaces with leadership, peers, physicians, other healthcare providers, and support staff regarding performance, as necessary.
- Actively participates, champions and motivates other staff in quality improvement in patient care, workflow, and improvement in clinical initiatives and working conditions of the department. Provides input on employees performance evaluations through daily observation and monitoring of performance.
- Adjusts staffing needs of the department to assure quality patient care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity and working conditions of providers and staff. Actively models Labor-Management Partnership (LMP) Workplace Safety principles and practices.
Patient Care Experience/Customer Service:
- Acts as a role model for staff regarding providing a patient care experience that exceeds members expectations.
- Ensures timely and appropriate management of patients.
- Coordinates smooth transition for patients across the care continuum. Participates in daily leadership rounds, documents rounding activities on unit rounding logs (as appropriate.). Assures hourly rounds are conducted by staff. Where appropriate, assures hourly rounds are documented according to unit/facility policy or guidelines.
- Ensures support of the collaborative LMP environment through unit based teams (UBTs). Identifies and supports staff professional/clinical development needs (i.e. certification, presentations, reward/recognition).
- Motivates staff to attain their fullest potential in improving performance, attendance, access, service and quality outcomes. Lead/facilitate daily/shift multidisciplinary huddles. Assures huddle messages are consistently communicated. Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Participates in resource allocation (assignments, scheduling, staffing, equipment/supplies management).
- Collaborates and assists with leadership, physicians, and peers in staffing, workflow and throughput to promote quality patient care, patient and staff safety, efficiency, productivity and working conditions of providers and staff.
- Attends Charge Nurse Educational programs. Takes responsibility for professional growth and development.
- 1-year recent (within the last 3 years) full-time equivalent experience in an acute care setting or successful completion of a KP training course or approved equivalent within prior 12 months.
- Registered Nurse License (California)
- Basic Life Support
- Basic arrhythmia required.
- BSN preferred.
- If 12 hour shift is chosen, shift will be 7:00 PM to 7:30 AM, back up 8 hour shift will be 7:00 PM to 3:30 AM
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Submit Interest
Ranked among the nation's best
Every hospital that's part of the Kaiser Permanente system earned “high performing” recognition in the latest U.S. News and World Report's annual rankings. That means all 39 of our hospitals are among the top 20% in the nation.
Awarded for excellence
We're proud that so many of our hospitals have earned Magnet status. It shows our real commitment to outcomes, safety, quality, efficiency, and, most importantly, to our nurses.
Recognizing nurses during Nurses Month in 2022
We're thanking each one of our 65,000 Kaiser Permanente nurses for everything they've done for us and for the nation. Thank you for choosing to be a nurse and for leading our transformation of care.
Experience nursing excellence
Meet a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event.