Deliver Expert Advice
Alongside physicians, clinicians, and patients, you'll work as a respected and vital member of our care delivery team. Providing information and recommending treatment programs that support our proactive philosophy, you'll approach health from a holistic perspective that includes alternative therapies and lifestyle changes in addition to the latest medications.
Inpatient Pharmacy Tech (LR-3707)Location: Woodland Hills, CA Additional Locations:
Job Number: 684984 Date posted: 04/04/2018
- Select & prepare medications & pharmaceutical products by name & dosage listed on physician's order, place merchandise in proper container w/ correct label, make required notations & initials physician's orders
- Review physician's orders & patient medical record in order to determine whether allergies, sensitivities and/or reactions have been documented
- Assure allergy/sensitivity information is recorded on patient medication profile
- Alert pharmacist when prescribed medications may be contraindicated due to drug allergies, sensitivities, or interactions as indicated by information systems
- Fill unit dose mediation cassettes from patient medication administration records by dispensing the appropriate supply through calculations based on dosage, strength & frequency of administration; perform substitution of drug equivalents through knowledge of generic, trade, chemical drug names & approved therapeutic equivalents; reviews medication administration record for appropriateness (i.e., drug entry, dosing frequency & documentation of administration), & advises appropriate licensed personnel of discrepancies
- Maintain pharmacy inventory in designated areas; review pharmacy inventory for medications to be returned (i.e., expired products, deteriorated products, illegible labels, etc)
- Assist the pharmacist in preparation, distribution, & record-keeping of controlled substances, i.e., narcotics, hypnotics, barbiturates, etc (Class II, III, IV, V), governed by federal & state law
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish controlled substances on physician's orders
- Prepare required pharmacy products; use mathematical calculations & conversions from apothecary & avoirdupois to metric system
- Prepare pharmacy products through an understanding of physical characteristics of medications, which require special packaging or handling
- Prepare sterile admixture products, such as intravenous piggybacks, large volume parenterals, syringes, chemotherapy, & bulk manufactured products using techniques governed by aseptic parenteral admixture policies & procedures
- Operate & maintain specialized pharmacy equipment (such as automated dispensing devices, IV compounding pumps, & unit dosing machines), cleaning, & performing periodic checks & adjustments
- Chart all scheduled maintenance designed to ensure sterility according to protocol
- Participate in the preparation, documentation, & scheduling of drug therapy for non-hospitalized patients
- Assist or perform the duties of the inventory control assistant/stock clerk to prioritize & maintain maximum work flow in the pharmacy
- Assist in medical office stocking-to-standards by organizing, replenishing stock, & preparing monthly recharges & credits
- Working knowledge of aseptic technique and ability to prepare sterile IV products
- Ability to learn and willingness to prepare chemotherapeutic agents in locations where chemotherapy agents are prepared
- Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills
- Ability to read, understand, and transcribe pharmaceutical information
- Working knowledge of current drug forms, strengths, generic and trade name traditional and current equivalents
- Requires working knowledge of, and the ability to become proficient in, the pharmacy computer system
- Knowledge of federal and sate laws and regulations regarding the provision of pharmaceutical services
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, and communicate with co-workers and patients
- Ability to lift/transport 1-50 lbs.
About Pharmacy Careers
Whether you're a resident, technician, or specialist, you'll find a wide array of clinical services in our progressive practice environment. In addition to outpatient, inpatient/hospital, and ambulatory care/clinical opportunities, we maintain specialized pharmacy services, automated refill pharmacies, regional call centers, drug information services, and pharmacy analytical services. In fact, our mail-order pharmacy was ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a J.D. Power U.S. Pharmacy Study.
Our pharmacists also have access to a wealth of information and integrated technologies, meaning you have the information you need at your fingertips, enabling you to make the right decisions, expedite patient care, and actively participate in your patients' health.
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Feb 2, 2018
- Positive Outlook
- Positive opinion of CEO
I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)
Excellent benefits. Great calibre of employees, respectful workplace. Very forward thinking and fosters innovation.Full Review
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.